What to buy for the EIGHTIES WAGON

Inkara1

I remember when the 2001 Civic came out and they made a big deal about the lack of a hump in the middle of the floor. FWD cars without that hump are exceedingly rare, even in 2006. My 2000 Neon is FWD and it has tht hump; my parents' 1999 Taurus is FWD and it has that hump; and so on. Often times, that's where the exhaust pipe runs so it doesn't stick down so far and get scraped.

Ask Prof or Mr. Bishop about FWD, RWD or even AWD/4WD vehicles fishtailing in the snow.

And I still have the question of if you can drive a stick. I'm glad I know how; I've gotten two free cars in my lifetime and they've both been sticks. I'd sure hate to say, "gee, I'd love to take this FREE CAR, but I can't drive a stick."

Luis... you guys are getting ass-fucked on car prices if a Maxima costs US$40K there. A new one here would be in the high-20s to low-30s here, maybe mid-30s with every option. Anything above that and you're at the Infiniti dealer, not the Nissan dealer.

K62

I have seen quite a few manual Maximas, maybe not the same year but I'm sure they made them.

He said it was a 5spd, I'm pretty sure the 97's were only 4spd automatics anyways.

K62

Inkara1 said:
Ask Prof or Mr. Bishop about FWD, RWD or even AWD/4WD vehicles fishtailing in the snow.

And I still have the question of if you can drive a stick. I'm glad I know how; I've gotten two free cars in my lifetime and they've both been sticks. I'd sure hate to say, "gee, I'd love to take this FREE CAR, but I can't drive a stick."

ohhhh I know all about fishtailing in the snow too! Well, that and doing e-brake turns. Even without the ebrake, I can get the back end of my FWD Corolla sliding around pretty good!

IMG_0929Medium.jpg

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Inkara1 said:
Luis... you guys are getting ass-fucked on car prices if a Maxima costs US$40K there. A new one here would be in the high-20s to low-30s here, maybe mid-30s with every option. Anything above that and you're at the Infiniti dealer, not the Nissan dealer.

They must make them that expensive, otherwise anyone would own one. Mercedez, Audi and BMW raise their prices too for the same reason.

Inkara1

Those three brands aren't cheap in the US, either... but they do make some cheap cars, too. Just for Europe, though.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Inkara1 said:
Couple bags of cat litter in the trunk, and learn to drive, no problems.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Inkara1 said:
Those three brands aren't cheap in the US, either... but they do make some cheap cars, too. Just for Europe, though.

They make them more expensive here, just because they want their cars to have certain status by leaving them kinda out of reach for middle-class.

Mercedes Benz C350 Sport:
US Price: from USD$38,325
MX Price: from USD$52,500

Mercedes Benz CLS500:
US Price: from USD$65,675
MX Price: from USD$89,950

BMW 325i sedan:
US Price: from USD$30,900
MX Price: from USD$38,700

Inkara1

I might figure on higher taxes or other various costs like that... but that sure as hell doesn't explain why BMW only adds on an $8K difference on the 325i and Mercedes adds on a $14K differential on its competing model.

Professur

Leslie said:
Couple bags of cat litter in the trunk, and learn to drive, no problems.

One bag of salt, two bags of sand, a shovel, toolbox, and two spare tires. And good ol' studded cleats on the rears. No lack of traction there.

unclehobart

Just take a snowmobile to work and drive on the drifts 5 meters to either side of the road. That should be all the traction you need.

unclehobart

Professur said:
One bag of salt, two bags of sand, a shovel, toolbox, and two spare tires. And good ol' studded cleats on the rears. No lack of traction there.
What good would having a rich Fillipino in my trunk be? I not sure how good he would operate in the cold.

Altron

I'm not very good at a manual ATM, since 80% of the distance I've driven is on the automatic in the wagon. I do intend to get better at it though.

The car had a stalling problem a few months ago. Nissan techs went all over the car and finally managed to fix it. In the process, they fixed everything that might be causing a problem, so it's in good condition. It's got 133k and has been babied. Exterior is great, interior is great.

If I sold the wagon and got this, I would break even.

K62

Yeah, when I bought my Corolla in December, I had only driven a stick a handful of times, and it was all on the highway.

It took me a few months to get relatively comfortable starting on hills with someone on my ass. But that's the best way to learn, just do it!

You will hear lots of people saying "I never stalled it when I first drove a stick"
That's bullshit, I have been with many many people when they first learn. Pretty much everyone does the same thing at first. Once they hit the friction point and the car starts to pull forward they pop the clutch and stall it. :D

chcr

Too cute for words
K62 said:
You will hear lots of people saying "I never stalled it when I first drove a stick"
That's bullshit.
Yes it is. Before you know it you'll be learning to double-clutch, heel-and-toe and upshift without using the clutch at all (kinda crunchy at first but if your transmission holds up, you'll figure it out ;) ).

K62

Hmm 214,000km. That surely isn't low km. But if it was well maintained, it should have lots more life left in it.

If you will break even, I would grab it forsure! They were nice cars.

Now if fuel economy is a big concern of yours, that Maxima is by no means a fuel sipper. A 3L V6 is a decent size engine. Sure if will be better than the Olds, but I doubt the difference would that huge.

K62

Luis G said:
AFAIK, double clutch is not needed in modern cars.

It's not needed in syncronized trannys, but double clutching can have it's advantages still.