What you see (large pics, maybe)

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Oh, that's right, right across from the Boondocks, I believe. It always amazed me that the place was as busy as it was, out in the middle of literal Nowhere.

Inkara1

Gonz said:
my best speed in an 18-wheller is 97MPH. Across Texas, at night. Made it from LA to Long Island ( different trip) in under 40 hours

Same rig you took the pictures in? If so, what are the specs?

unclehobart

Gonz said:
my best speed in an 18-wheller is 97MPH. Across Texas, at night. Made it from LA to Long Island ( different trip) in under 40 hours
40 hours straight? or 40 hours in total? I'd love to see your DOT log books on that trip. It would surely be amusing.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
I've done my share of cruising behind 18 wheelers, and I can say that, once they hit the open road, you'd be hard-pressed to keep up in that Honda, Inky...;) My Audi does over 100...I know because I was following a big-rig from NC up into WV, and he was right in front of me. Yes, Gonz...He knew I was there.

greenfreak

PuterTutor said:
It comforts me to think that you are driving an 18-wheeler down the road, and taking pics at the same time.

LOL exactly what I was thinking... But cool pics anyway! :D

I avoid tractor trailers like the plague. If I'm behind them, I can't see around them, if I'm next to them, I worry that they're going to flatten me into the median or drive me off the road, and if I'm in front of them on a hill and they come barrelling down on my ass, I get the hell out of the way.

The last two summers I did a ton of driving for work and saw many truckers that weren't driving safely and putting other people at risk... With that much weight and size, you better believe I'm getting away from them in my little Chevy Cavalier. I'm not saying most truckers drive this way mind you, but all you need is one that does!

If given an option between two roadways-one that allows commercial traffic and one that doesn't, I always pick the one that doesn't.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Inky, it was a Peterbilt long nose with a 450 Cat & a 13 speed. The current one is a 74MPH 350 V6 Cat 10 speed.

LA-NY was a team operation. actually it was about 38 hours. DOT logs were mostly legal, 4 hours driving, 4 hours sleeping, etc.

Shadowfax

<b>mod cow</b>
GREAT pictures, Gonz! :)

Hope you'll put on more some time :)
Nice to see where you go...how do you get the time to hang around here? You work for a week and get some days of or something? :)

HeXp£Øi±

I was driving back home from washington in 91' in my 80 Silverado w/350/PowerGlide Blk w/tinted windows and my 33 1/2 mickey thompsons. My cruzing speed was about 75mph. I remember coming down this mountain pass and a semi behind me was passing me in the apposing lane. Nobody else around for miles. Let me back up here..I had been trying to find something to eat in Canada but all the food was some fucked up nasty shit that i wouldn't feed my dog. I hadn't eaten in 24 hours so i broke down and bought a sandwich and a case of beer. It looked like an egg salad sandwich but it tasted like it had whipped cream and vinegar in it. I took one bite and spit it it out my window. So now i'm really pissed off, hungry and drinking beer. And here i come down the mountian pass doing about 75 and this trucker decides that he wants to go 76. He pulls into the apposing lane and spends the next ten minutes there slowly passing me inch by inch. It must have taken him 15-20 miles of road to get where the back of his truck was barely in front of mine before the next pass and he was just about to pull back into the lane ahead of me when i punched it and pulled right back in front of him. I looked in my rear view mirror and the guy was furious and pounding on his steering wheel and jumping up and down in his rig. I felt so much better.

car.gif

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Beer, driving, no food, and pissing off a trucker. That's really not good.

HeXp£Øi±

It's even harder to drive when you have the delerium tremors and you know there's a demon behind the wheel of every car on the road that wants to kill you. If you don't understand this, then you don't want to know.

Inkara1

I still remember being on the freeway in rural eastern Arizona at 6 a.m. or so a few years ago. I was doing 80 in the slow lane and got passed by two tour buses. :(

HeXp£Øi±

"i understand the demons part, but never had the DT's"

Let me get this straight, you're seeing demons for no apparent reason? I had the dt's but you're just friken CRAZY!

Dave

Let me get this straight, you're seeing demons for no apparent reason? I had the dt's but you're just friken CRAZY!

lol

i wish. someone was nice enough to put something "extra" in my "cigarette"...

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Shadowfax said:
GREAT pictures, Gonz! :)

Hope you'll put on more some time :)
Nice to see where you go...how do you get the time to hang around here? You work for a week and get some days of or something? :)

I managed a sweet gig. Private carrier (we only haul our own stuff) with set runs. I know when I have to leave for each place I go, how long it takes & when I'll be home. I'm overnight usually 2 nights per week. It's boring as hell from the view perspective (I can now sleep thru most of my runs) but I get computer time & get to see my kid grow up.