What's for dinner

2minkey

bootlicker
tonight's joy is "steaming hot tamales" at the airport in st. louis. (luckily not a cleveland steamer.) i strongly suspect the beef is from downer cattle.

the good thing is, they have cholula hot sauce instead of that vomitous shame know as "tabasco."

BeardofPants

Tonight I made carrot soup for the first time! Lemme just preface this with the fact that I HATE cooked carrots with a passion. Don't ask what possessed me - with my deep abiding hatred for the things - to make SOUP out of them, but there you go. I'm not logical at the best of times. Anyway, it fuckin' rawked. Big time.

I sauted 1/2 kg carrot, 3 cloves garlic, 1 large brown onion & an inch of grated ginger with a little butter for 10 minutes. I then added chicken stock (weak - half an oxo cube with water 1 1/2 cups), and simmered for a further 10 minutes. Took off stove and batch blended in blender, before adding back to the heat, stirring in 1/4 cup orange juice, and 1/2 tablespoon of whisky. Simmered 5 mins more to mix flavours. Served in soup bowls, with kibbled bread to dip, and chives to garnish. Mmmm....

2 servings (entree sized).

2minkey

bootlicker
super. i made a bisque (well, not exactly) of carrot a few days ago. it was simply carrots, grass-fed butter (yes it makes a difference), some chicken stock, and a little sea salt. topped with a dollop of creme fraiche. served that shit with some braised leg of lamb and risotto.

tonight is rainbow chard with some heirloom tomato, possibly some weird beet concoction (?), and chicken stuffed with cranberry-something dressing.
i wonder what i can do with beets and a couple eggs....

majestyx

diced up some potatoes drizzeled them with some olive oil and topped with some lipton onion soup mix in a roasting pan on the grill and some boneless pork chops

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
is that like saying chickens that roam around & drop their eggs anywhere taste better too?

2minkey

bootlicker
sorta. it's not where the product is deposited so much as whether or not the livestock is pastured or caged and the typical impact of that on diet. pastured almost invariably tastes better... though with beef fer eatin' (not milkin') it's better if the beast gets grains rather than grass because you get better marbling, and beef is all about tasty fat.

MrBishop

is that like saying chickens that roam around & drop their eggs anywhere taste better too?
Free-range chickens taste better and are larger/healthier/less fatty than caged and drug-enhanced chickens, yeah. Their eggs too...yolks darker, eggs larger in general...

damn! now I want some chicken and a nice omlette.

Tonight, a roast with strips of pepper (roasted) & garlic...and some nice wild long-grain rice.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
bender.jpg

"PB & J with the crusts cut off..."

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
*remembers gathering eggs from the coop for years & feeding several calves to fat happydom with grass, alfalfa & oats before munchin\g their happy asses for the rest of the year.*

They don't need to roam free. They need to be free from stress.

However, grass fed butter still sounds like organic free range natural...aka an ad mans money line.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
sorta. it's not where the product is deposited so much as whether or not the livestock is pastured or caged and the typical impact of that on diet. pastured almost invariably tastes better... though with beef fer eatin' (not milkin') it's better if the beast gets grains rather than grass because you get better marbling, and beef is all about tasty fat.

Alberta beef is the best beef I've ever had and I've had beef in various countries and continents (including other parts of Canada, the states, Greece and Germany).

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Oh, and dinner tonight was left over mac and cheese made by my mom. She made it Monday night (the last night of her visit). I love that stuff.