What's for dinner

BlurOfSerenity

ive been a vegetarian for 3 weeks, and cooking's been the hard part, because a lot of recipes are too... exotic for me. so, tonight, i stuck with a combination of things i know i like, and the result was amazing. im SO making this again.

-instant brown rice to make 2 servings
-a large portobello mushroom cap (with butter/margarine to saute in, if you want)
-a cup or so of fat free shredded cheddar cheese
-hummus (i like roasted red pepper!)
-spices (i used minced garlic, garlic powder, and paprika)

-start cooking rice by package directions.
-in the meantime, cut up the mushroom cap into little pieces and saute (in butter/margarine if you want).
-when rice is done cooking but still in the pot, add the sauted mushroom pieces, spices, and cheese; stir until combined and cheese is all melty.
-serve with a dollop of hummus next to it for dipping forkfuls into.

OMGYUMMY.

BeardofPants

Makin' calzone for the first time (normally make pizza). Made a whole wheat/cornflour/white flour mix dough. Stuffing - made a baby spinach pesto (with pistachios, tomato, garlic, colman mustard & tomato vinegar), smeared that on the rolled out dough, topped with tomatoes (skinned & seeded), buffalo mozzarella, hot sausage, and baby spinach (wilted in butter). Hope it tastes nice...!

BeardofPants

Holy fucktard, batman - the calzone was AWESOME. The pesto really made it - went together with the tomato & buffalo mozzarella really well!

tonksy

Did you have to vent it? Did it come out gummy at all? My main complaint about calzones I eat at restaurants is the gumminess or lukewarm fillings.

BeardofPants

No, it came out crispy perfect - no gummy at all. :D You need to make sure you cook the shit out of it for half & hour or so on high heat (400F). I egged the top to make it golden.

I made sure that the fillings weren't liquidy though. Hence the wilted spinach, non-oily pesto, seeded tomatoes. The buffalo mozzarella I cubed & pressed gently into a sieve & left to drain for about an hour @ room temp.

And I poked it with a fork a bazillion times before cooking so it could vent.

tonksy

Ash - Do ya'll have Trader Joe's? If not, they often sell it in the fancy cheese kiosks by the mega-mart grocery delis.

tonksy

Tonight was salmon and asparagus tips baked in foil packs with butter, lemon juice, dill, and garlic (salt, pepper, Tony's) served with leftover Egyptian potato salad and tzatziki and pita.

tonksy

Oh! And a lovely 2006 chardonnay that Rob didn't touch so it looks like I'll be sauced tonight.

BeardofPants

That sounds awesome, tonks. :)

I'm thinking of making the great american chili for the 4th of July (never made it before). So - any tips? Secrets? I've read about dark beer/chocolate.

tonksy

Don't forget the grape jelly!

Seriously. I add some unsweetened cocoa in when I add my seasoning and a brown beer in with my liquid. I recommend adding the peppers and garlic in right after the onions. Letting them sweat together is good...but let your onion start alone for about a minute so that you know you will not burn the garlic. Also, keep in mind that while you can make chili quickly it just ain't right.

Oh! And I put the wine in the fridge....wussy

tonksy

Pork ribs and smoked sausage from the local BBQ-1 with more leftover potato salad and broccili salad......and beer.

BeardofPants

Cheers!

Tonight, I have some left-overs... 3x eggs. Cob corn. Tomato. Somehow, I'm gonna make a frittata out of them.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Tonight starts the Barrie Ontario annual Que and Brew Festival.

a BBQ and Beer Fest, so tonight I think I will have Salad

NOT!

(wow that was so 90's)

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Stampede started last night (well, last night was sneak peek)...I will be eatting a lot of greasy food in the upcoming days. It just goes together with booze so well, I thought about pasta when I was out last night but with all the alcohol consumed it had to be chicken fingers and fries.

chcr

Too cute for words
Always wanted to see the Stampede. AZ has plenty of rodeo but I hear the Stampede is something else again. I might have to invite Dara and myself to Calgary for a visit one year. Could we talk you into showing us the sights? ;)

A.B.Normal

Could we talk you into showing us the sights? ;)

calgary-stampede2-190.jpg

Horse/hat/Tower ,now you've seen everything in Calgary. :eyemouth: