What's for dinner

BeardofPants

AB, what is that disturbing ... thing... in your avatar? :eek6:

Tonight, I shall make salmon, leek & potato rosti. Yes I shall. And I shall serve with salad. And I might make dessert (Yogurt cream w/ berries - I'll probably sub the cream for something lighter though).

A.B.Normal

ooh i know! i know! it's from the commercials for this company called Jamba that sells ringtones and stuff! i remember the several-minute long commercials featuring the dancing hippo, when i was in germany!

And here I've been calling it a Spank-o-potamus .:eek6:

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Chic: I'll totally show you guys around! I haven't been to any rodeo yet...I've been watching it on TV though. I dunno if I'll make it out to one this year or not...may not have anyone to go with.

chcr

Too cute for words
Tonight I got some more brats (gotta use up the buns, right?), chips and I'm going to saute some peppers and onions. Oh, and Gas-X.

tonksy

Grilled jerked pork chops, fried green tomatoes and a sweet potato casserole that was awful.

Mirlyn

Last night was steaks and grilled corn on the cob.

Tonight was pork ribs with a great rub recipe. Dessert came later: peach cobbler.

:licklips:

No leftovers for this week though. :(

BeardofPants

That's a wild recipe, BoP. Let me know how it was.

It was very tasty... but next time I think I'll have to double or triple for some of the dried spices (it was pretty mild in terms of hotness). No complaints though! :D (and I added black beans).

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Chic: I'll totally show you guys around! I haven't been to any rodeo yet...I've been watching it on TV though. I dunno if I'll make it out to one this year or not...may not have anyone to go with.

It's stampede, you HAVE to go, you will meet people there, trust me.

tonksy

What is tomatoes 3 ways?

I'm actually glad you asked :nerd:
Tomatoes are prepared in 3 ways in the salad - roasted, fried, and raw. It was really yummy. We actually opted to save the main part of the meal until later in the evening and polished of the salad.

8 Italian Roma tomatoes,, cut in half
2 tablespoons olive oil
Cajun seasoning, salt, pepper to taste (or salt, pepper, oregano, red pepper if you cannot find any cajun seasoning)

2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons chiffonade of basil
1 or 2 cloves of minced garlic
1/2 small red onion, julienned
Salt and pepper

1 beef steak tomato,, cut into 6 slices
1 yellow beef steak tomato,, cut into 6 slices
8 slices of fresh mozzarella cheese
4 cups assorted baby greens

4 fried breaded green tomatoes, for top of salad

Toss the Roma tomatoes with the olive oil and season with seasonings. Place the tomatoes, seed side down, on a baking sheet and roast for about 8-10 minutes at 400. Remove from the oven and cool.
Julienne the roasted tomatoes.
In a mixing bowl, whisk the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, basil and red onion together. Add the julienned tomatoes.
Season the vinaigrette with salt and pepper.
Season each side of the tomato slices with salt and pepper.
Season each side of the mozzarella slices with salt and pepper.
Toss the greens with 2/3 of the vinaigrette. Reserve the remaining dressing. Alternate layering the tomatoes, cheese and greens.
Garnish each salad with the fried breaded green tomato, remaining vinaigrette.

The only things that I did differently was to use cherry tomatoes instead of the roma's for roasting as I had a bunch and I used 2 heirloom tomatoes (one yellow, one purple) and a store bought red tomato for the slices. I also left all the greens at the bottom and just layered the tomatoes, dressing and cheese.

But then the biggest difference. We had had fried green tomatoes the day prior so I had 2 large "heels" of tomato so instead of frying more slices I cubed it up and breaded it (standard 3 bowl process 1. seasoned flour 2. beaten egg 3. cracker meal and herbs) and fried it up like fried green tomato croutons.

BeardofPants

That sounds nice... but 2/3 cup of olive oil?? No thanks. Was there room to cut back? Like to a couple of tablespoons instead?

Last night:

I made coleslaw with savoy cabbage, cilantro, cherry tomatoes, radish sprout, cashews, and toasted tortilla strips (w/ lime & oil as opposed to mayo) & home-made bread for dinner. Grilled the bread (wheat & cornmeal) with jarlsberg cheese slices & liberal seasoning.

Tonight: Chilli dawgs!

tonksy

That sounds nice... but 2/3 cup of olive oil?? No thanks. Was there room to cut back? Like to a couple of tablespoons instead?

Last night:

I made coleslaw with savoy cabbage, cilantro, cherry tomatoes, radish sprout, cashews, and toasted tortilla strips (w/ lime & oil as opposed to mayo) & home-made bread for dinner. Grilled the bread (wheat & cornmeal) with jarlsberg cheese slices & liberal seasoning.

Tonight: Chilli dawgs!

Oh! I had a ton of dressing left over so I am thinking to split the vinagrette recipe by half next time. I have it store in a tupperware and may marinate something in it before I need to toss it.

Your salad sounds good!

BeardofPants

It was good! :) I also added 2x diced chilis to add a bit of spice to the 'slaw.
The reason I asked, is that your emulsion would've been out-ratio'd because of all the oil... but I guess not. Usually if I make an oil-based dressing, I tend to use more of something like vinegar (or lime juice) than oil. Makes for a more watery dressing though.

I have some vine-tomatoes in the fridge. If they last out the weeks cooking, I shall make spaghetti with tomatoes 3 ways. Thanks. :D

I haven't made the dogs yet, but I have been busy in the kitchen. I made toasted granola with cranberries & dark chocolate for my work breakfasts, and I made cranberry & macadamia biscotti for an around-the-house snack (somewhat lower calories, but not really... I subbed the sugar for some sugar replacement thingie (aspartame free) and there's no oil or butter in the recipe).