What's up with Canada?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
PuterTutor said:
It's just more of the same bullshit we get from most countries. I don't know why we're surprised that Canada is one of them. They belittle us, call us an evil empire, say we're trying to control the world and act as policemen for the UN. Yet when the Foreign Aid checks go out, they're right in line. When they get attacked, they're calling us up, cause we're their good old buddies. When their military needs training or they need some new guns, they're begging us for help.

I'm really quite surprised that we are surprised about it.

Welcome back PT.

Camelyn

PuterTutor said:
Yet when the Foreign Aid checks go out, they're right in line. When they get attacked, they're calling us up, cause we're their good old buddies. When their military needs training or they need some new guns, they're begging us for help.
I'm really quite surprised that we are surprised about it.

Dunno the last time Canada required foreign aid or was attacked and needed US intervention or *begged*for US arms . :shrug:

ResearchMonkey said:
Canada is just suffering from penis envey.

I see.

GatoSolo said:
Their existence as free countries was bought, and paid for, by the blood of US soldiers.

Our existance as free countries was bought by the blood of an international coalition of soldiers, who fought for that freedom, and died for it. Lest we forget...

Nope, I just can't see why anyone would think the US might be just a tad arrogant.

Oz

Gato_Solo said:
Now that is a statement that I think is way off base, and I'll tell you why.

When you go to foreign countries, including Canada, you always hear that term bandied about like it's fact, but the people spewing that rhetoric have to remember one thing...Their existence as free countries was bought, and paid for, by the blood of US soldiers. The peace they take for granted is there because the US was, and is, there to protect them. It's not arrogance to expect some thanks from time to time, but it is arrogant to believe that no thanks are neccesary. It's not arrogance to offer help when it's needed, but it is arrogance to accept that help, and then deny the helpers so much as one iota of respect. The countries that have never accepted US aid and comfort are the only ones who can possibly say that we are arrogant, and those places are very few indeed. Next time you go out into your world, look around and think about how much the US has accomplished in our short time of existence, and ask yourself where your country would be if we didn't exist. Ask yourself where your lifestyle would be, and how much freedom you'd actually have if we didn't exist, and then say who is arrogant. It's not us, PT.

Yeah.....yer the only fuckers that ever raised a gun to help anyone aint'cha? :rolleyes:

Go visit a couple of hundred thousand wargraves of British sevicemen...then go visit the australian ones.......the candaian ones...oh and the rest of the countries of the free world......finally visit the american ones, and check the dates on them compared to the rest.

Don't preach about the arrogance of others while practising it yourself.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
KIA not on American soil

WW2
Canada 39,000
Australia 29,000
USA 295,000

WW1
Australia 59,000
Canada 67,000
USA 117,000

Oz

Gonz said:
KIA not on American soil

WW2
Canada 39,000
Australia 29,000
USA 295,000

WW1
Australia 59,000
Canada 67,000
USA 117,000

Wot the hell is that supposed to be Gonz? some kinda "we are better than them statistic?

Britain lost 326,000 during WW2 ....... and our country is smaller than Ohio for gods sake :rolleyes:

It doesn't matter if Canada only had an army of 1,000 the fact of the matter is that they were willing to fight......and they did.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
It's pointing out the fact that we put damned near as much on the line for Britain as Britain did themselves. Had the US not shown up you'd be speaking German. Had Canada & Austrailia not shown up there'd have been less blood spilled.

They are not being dismissed. They are being put into perspective.

Camelyn

:rolleyes:

You want stats?? You really wanna play the game of "We lost 0.00465% more troops than you did?? Come on man. Geezus.

Population in 1944:

Canada: 11 946 000

US: 138 397 000

Australia: 7 310 000

oh and

Great Britain: 326,000 Casualties
Population in 1944: 49 020 000

Now you tell me exactly how any of that is relevant to the *fact* that WWII was *not* won by the US alone??

Camelyn

Gonz said:
It's pointing out the fact that we put damned near as much on the line for Britain as Britain did themselves. Had the US not shown up you'd be speaking German. Had Canada & Austrailia not shown up there'd have been less blood spilled.

um....

Put it on the line for Britain? Are we rewriting history now? The US entered WWII to save Britain?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Wasn't won by us alone, no, but if I recall the only bastion of safety was the UK & that was taking a heavy beating. Poland, Austria and France were toast & the USSR was reeling.

Oz

Gonz said:

Into perspective? ok.

First, don't forget that the US entered the WW2 after Germany declared war on the country.

We declared war on Germany the second young Mr Hitler frogmarched his troops into Poland.

We Performed the raid into occupied Norway to destroy the Nazi ran heavy water plants, without wich the Nazi had to abandon their atomic bomb research (although I suppose the Nazi war machine would have still been defeated by the US even if it was the first with atomic bomb capabilites, eh?).

And don't start with the "you'd all be speaking German" crap.......where the hell do you get off with statements like that? Fuck, if it wasn't for our men while the US was still sitting on it's laurels......most of your major cities could have been irradiated nuclear hellholes now.

True, a lot of americans gave their lives fighting the Nazi war machine......and we'll always be gratefull for that, but if you think the american armed forces won WW2 alone.......please go back and read your history books.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
they need to read someone else's history books...theirs are...let's say...warped a bit.

Oz

Gonz said:
Wasn't won by us alone, no, but if I recall the only bastion of safety was the UK & that was taking a heavy beating. Poland, Austria and France were toast & the USSR was reeling.

*blinks*

Russia was reeling? they defeated more Nazi soldiers at the eastern front, where the first into Berlin ....... oh, and fought tooth and nail to take the oil fields on the hungarian border (thereby robbing Hitler of precious fuel...effectively destroying Rommell's africa campaign).

Yes Gonz, Russia was reeling :rolleyes: nobody is sure why they entered WW2......because they didn't make any significant contribution to allied vitory did they?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I have read history books. Extensively. After Germany was put down 20 years before your European countries ignored all the problems brewing in Deutschland. When Hitler came to power YOUR PM (Chamberlain) said he's no big deal. An hour later his army defeated Poalnd. We were supplying the UK throughout your battle. It was a European problem. We had a third of a million wounded or killed by 1919. Were we supposed to come back & handle it again?

Apparently so.

Again, I am not dismissing what Britain or the other European countries did before our arrival. Especially the UK. However Canada & Australia are members of the UK. The United States is not. The blitz wasn't happening in Tampa. We could have gone to Japan alone. We chose to help our allies first, before they fell.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Oz said:
*blinks*

Russia was reeling? they defeated more Nazi soldiers at the eastern front, where the first into Berlin ....... oh, and fought tooth and nail to take the oil fields on the hungarian border (thereby robbing Hitler of precious fuel...effectively destroying Rommell's africa campaign).

Yes Gonz, Russia was reeling :rolleyes: nobody is sure why they entered WW2......because they didn't make any significant contribution to allied vitory did they?

almost 14 million military casualties. I'd call that reeling

Inkara1

Oz said:
First, don't forget that the US entered the WW2 after Germany declared war on the country.
We might not have had soldiers actively fighting in the war before Pearl Harbor (Japan attacked us, we declared war on Japan, and because of the alliance Germany then declared war on us) but I do seem to remember a couple of weapons heading your way from here prior to Pearl Harbor. That's involvement too.

Oz

Gonz said:
I have read history books. Extensively. After Germany was put down 20 years before your European countries ignored all the problems brewing in Deutschland. When Hitler came to power YOUR PM (Chamberlain) said he's no big deal.

Oh....so now we are discussion about event that led up to the start of the war.....I see. I can't deny that Chamberlain was an idiot...this is true. But hindsight is a blessing that carries no favours. Afterall, with hindsight every war could have been prevented

We were supplying the UK throughout your battle.

Only fair I suppose....plenty of US dollars were used to fund Hitlers war machine prior to the war. Still, funding madmen has ever been a popular US pastime....even into modern day.

It was a European problem.

I'll repeat myself for clarities sake......the USA entered the war after Nazi Germany declared war on them. Mebbe you should have ignored them....afterall.....they were all the way over the Atlantic....too far away to cause any damage, eh?

We had a third of a million wounded or killed by 1919. Were we supposed to come back & handle it again?

handle what? again you come with the "if it wasn't for us" attitude. By the time you got there......you were fighting against a nation that had declared war on you

Again, I am not dismissing what Britain or the other European countries did before our arrival. Especially the UK. However Canada & Australia are members of the UK. The United States is not. The blitz wasn't happening in Tampa. We could have gone to Japan alone. We chose to help our allies first, before they fell.

And plenty of the allies joined you in fighting Japan....wots your point?

See my post on raids into Norway re:The Blitz wasn't happening in Tamp.

Camelyn

Gonz said:
I have read history books. Extensively. After Germany was put down 20 years before your European countries ignored all the problems brewing in Deutschland. When Hitler came to power YOUR PM (Chamberlain) said he's no big deal. An hour later his army defeated Poalnd. We were supplying the UK throughout your battle. It was a European problem. We had a third of a million wounded or killed by 1919. Were we supposed to come back & handle it again?

Apparently so.

Again I ask: You are saying the US declared war to help Europe and Britain? Not because of a threat to US soil and US freedom?

And again, are we re-writing history?