which member has left HWC do you miss most?

Inkara1

I'm not sure what a cord costs out there... but over here you're looking at about $175 for a cord of Eucalyptus or Pine and $280 for a cord of Red Oak.

HomeLAN

Nope, not on any HD's. It must've been blasted in one of the countless rebuilds and reformats. Come to think of it, I haven't seen the original in awhile, either.

I'll try to deal with it this weekend.

Professur

Inkara1 said:
I'm not sure what a cord costs out there... but over here you're looking at about $175 for a cord of Eucalyptus or Pine and $280 for a cord of Red Oak.

$45 for dry split maple here. What on earth would posess someone to burn pine or eucalyptus? Can you say chimney fire? And I'd never have considered burning Oak. Although I'd imagine a 'full round' of that would probably stay in all night. Probably burns too slow.

HomeLAN

Red Oak. A little different stuff. That's pretty much all we burned when I was a kid, considering the mountain property is full of the stuff.

HomeLAN

Not really a distinctive smell, but the heart of it is quite red-orange when freshly cut.

I still have all my toes, since Dad was fanatical about chainsaw safety. I did spend large chunks of my 16th and 17th years with a chainsaw in my hand, though.

Professur

unclehobart said:
I remember splitting heaps of that wood. The smell of it is still lingers in the memory.

Cedar and Hemlock do that for me. There's nothing in the world like the smell of fresh cut hemlock.

HomeLAN

unclehobart said:
I remember splitting heaps of that wood. The smell of it is still lingers in the memory.

You ever decide to have another go, Mom's got a shitload down still from last year's storms. It's easier now that she has the gas powered splitter. Mike's even towed that thing down to the section of the road where the wood is. All you have to do is get 125 pound rounds up that hill to the roadside. Heh.

HomeLAN

Quite possibly. It's only a couple hours from here. I'll have to clear it with Mom, though, since she lives there.

Inkara1

Hmm. I might need to make a few stops at the gym in the next month to get the muscles back into shape a little bit before I head over there. I haven't had to lift any 90-lb. bags of concrete in a while, but I did lift an 87-lb. box (computer/monitor combo) into the back of a truck by myself the other day with no problems.

Professur

Inkara1 said:
Hmm. I might need to make a few stops at the gym in the next month to get the muscles back into shape a little bit before I head over there. I haven't had to lift any 90-lb. bags of concrete in a while, but I did lift an 87-lb. box (computer/monitor combo) into the back of a truck by myself the other day with no problems.

You don't have a month. You've 2 weeks.