Which of these Black and White Movies...

Which of these movies have you seen?

• The Philadelphia Story

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Casablanca

Votes: 12 80.0%
  • The Big Sleep

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Anatomy of a Murder

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • The Paradine Case

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Witness for the Prosecution

• High Noon

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Notorious

• Shadow of a Doubt

• Treasure of the Sierra Madre

Votes: 5 33.3%

• Total voters

Ardsgaine

Every movie that's been mentioned would make a good addition to the list. I actually thought of Psycho, but the list was already a bit heavy with Hitchcock movies. I realized after I posted it that I was short on westerns and long on courtroom/suspense movies. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance would have been a good one to even that out with, and/or 3:10 to Yuma.

I was really just trying to come up a short list of my favorite classic b&w movies to see which ones other people had seen, and whether others of you even watched black and white movies. The list doesn't exhaust my favorites, much less the ones I would consider cinema classics.

A young person we know once told Jan that he doesn't watch b&w movies, period. I was wondering how many other people were like that.

Ardsgaine

Having looked at the results now, I'm a bit surprised. I rather expected that Casablanca would be in first place, but seeing Treasure of the Sierra Madre with 4 votes raised my eyebrow. I've only seen it myself maybe one and a half times. It's definitely classic film-making, but I thought it was rather obscure compared to classic Hitchcock movies like The Paradine Case and Shadow of a Doubt. Interesting... :)

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
freako104 said:
the theres a lot you didnt add in ards.

:D freako...I'm surprised you'd think that, considering that the first 20 to 30 years of motion pictures was all black and white. :D Could you imagine the length of the poll?

*in a tired voice* 12 pages to go... * :D

Also...I believe ards forgot a few classic comedies, such as Safety Last... :D

AlladinSane

There aren't much of B&W movies for rent here unfortunately. I saw some B&W at TV for sure but I don't know the english titles...

kuulani

I haven't seen any in your list :(

However, I do own a copy of My Fair Lady, Elephant Walk, and Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, so I don't feel too uncultured - even though they aren't B&W.

Janimal

Yeah, yeah - go rent some!!!!

Any of the films mentioned are good to watch.

I love the pace of the older comedies. They had what they called "snappy dialogue". Don't let anyone tell you that snaps were invented by our more recent hiphop culture. It's been around for a long time. And some of the older movies do it wonderfully, if you take into consideration that the culture was different, so the snap style isn't the same.

It amazes me sometimes to see how these old movies have influenced our current culture. People don't realize that the sayings and gestures they use are sometimes 50+ years old, if not more. They get recycled and reused and become all the rage all over again.

flavio

Banned
I need an option for "I don't know". I probably saw a bunch of them on the afternoon Prize Movie when I was 1o or something.

freako104

Gato_Solo said:
freako104 said:
the theres a lot you didnt add in ards.

:D freako...I'm surprised you'd think that, considering that the first 20 to 30 years of motion pictures was all black and white. :D Could you imagine the length of the poll?

*in a tired voice* 12 pages to go... * :D

Also...I believe ards forgot a few classic comedies, such as Safety Last... :D

true and some even after the 20 years. i said that because only 10? theres a lot more that i know its cause im so young, are more popular or are more well known. 10 is plenty but i dont think he shoulda made it a poll to be honest. its too general a question with all the differnt ones.