Who wears ties?

tonksy

Who wears ties to work? Do you hate them? How many do you have? What kinds do you like? Do you iron them like regular clothes?

HomeLAN

I have to. I despise them. I own about 25. As I work in banking, stripes are considered to be not conservative enough. I have them dry-cleaned, but not very often.

Professur

I've got .... some. Mostly left over from the hotel days. As a computer tech, we don't wear them. They're dangerous while working around open printers. Tie clips dangling into an open PC isn't a good thing either.

tonksy

HomeLAN said:
I have to. I despise them. I own about 25. As I work in banking, stripes are considered to be not conservative enough. I have them dry-cleaned, but not very often.
Have you tried dryel? I tried that on the ones I showed you and was very pleased. What is it you look for when shopping for them?
I need help lotting up some new ones....when's the next time I'll see you?

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
I wear them to court and parole hearings. I don't mind a tie as much as you might imagine I would. I had about 15-20 before the fire, and was given three times that many after. I kept about 12 of the more...contemporary ones. Some of them were in style with beehive hairdos and such.

I like ties with prints on them. My favorite was a black tie with banjos, mandolins, and fiddles on it.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
I don't, actually I wear jeans and tshirt or formal casual clothing.

HomeLAN

tonksy said:
Have you tried dryel? I tried that on the ones I showed you and was very pleased. What is it you look for when shopping for them?
I need help lotting up some new ones....when's the next time I'll see you?

Not sure. I'll run it past the boss and let you know.

As for what I look for - quality. Silk is ideal, pattern must be quite muted for my professsion.

MrBishop

Not too sure about the new job, but for most jobs that I've done...I've had the little nooses around my neck.

I own about 20 or so...I don't dry-clean or iron them...hell, I don't even untie them anymore.

tonksy

HomeLAN said:
Not sure. I'll run it past the boss and let you know.

As for what I look for - quality. Silk is ideal, pattern must be quite muted for my professsion.
EEEK! But before you do you might want to mention not to use the stain remover they have in the kit for your ties. It seems to have an adverse reaction to the colorfastness of silk. Found that out the hard way.

alex

Only to funerals and weddings. I have a couple that I bought last summer. Never have worn one to work.

HomeLAN

tonksy said:
What brands do you gentleman like? Or is solely a case by case basis?

Case by case, and quite frankly, I don't buy 'em anymore. The wife does. You may be better served bringing your tie stash over here for batch separation. 2 fairly solid opinions.

catocom

tonksy said:
Who wears ties to work? Do you hate them? How many do you have? What kinds do you like? Do you iron them like regular clothes?
I've always done blue-collar work. I don't hate them, but I don't "have" to wear them.
I wear them along with a full 3 piece suit, when ever I got to a church, funeral, or wedding.
They come off soon after I get home....
Hate is such a strong word...I'd say I just dislike wearing them longer than
absolutely necessary.

I have about 20 different ties. All but about 3 are hand-me-downs.

I don't iron mine, I "hang" them so the stay straight.

tonksy

HomeLAN said:
Case by case, and quite frankly, I don't buy 'em anymore. The wife does. You may be better served bringing your tie stash over here for batch separation. 2 fairly solid opinions.
I can really figure it out myself, I suppose. My mistake last time was by sorting them by color combination instead of conservation vs. flashy.
I've only picked up silks for the most part (plus a few that will sell on the merit of funk or retroness). I don't want to spend too much time and effort on neckties because there are sooooo many for sale on ebay...but when the store has them 50% off so I can get them for .80 I really can't pass them up, you know?