Why drilling won't help with the oil crisis

2minkey

bootlicker
don't even need to click on that. it's well-known that at best new drilling will be fractional hedge against the inevitable maybe 10 years down the road.

catocom

Hey, if we can have something going in 10 years, let's get going.
Until we get there, let's kick some ass and take some names, and boot some crooks.
and get Boones plan to the next step.

MrBishop

15BBL (15 billion barrels) est. in restricted offshore US.
85MBLD (million barrels per day) - used across the planet

15BBL/85BLD*365days) = less than 6 months of oil if every estimated drop of oil is taken from the restricted offshore sites.

17MBLD - US consumption only. 4 years worth of oil if ONLY the USA consumes the new oil.

In 10 years time, the amount of oil that can be taken from restricted sites will be moot - if and only if, an electric-only car can be built economically.

MrBishop

Hey, if we can have something going in 10 years, let's get going.
Until we get there, let's kick some ass and take some names, and boot some crooks.
and get Boones plan to the next step.
Pickens' plan is good for infrastructure power (buildings, houses, etc.), but needs a vehicular alternative to make it work properly. No electric car than you can plug in at home? No luck.

My major issue with more forms of alternative energy being bandied abouts is that it talks more about infrastructure solutions, but doesn't touch vehicular. Ethanol (lets hope that doesn't play out) is currently the only alternative that works with large vehicles/trucks/semis. Electric doesnt' cut it for large vehicles.

catocom

Pickens' plan is good for infrastructure power (buildings, houses, etc.), but needs a vehicular alternative to make it work properly. No electric car than you can plug in at home? No luck.

My major issue with more forms of alternative energy being bandied abouts is that it talks more about infrastructure solutions, but doesn't touch vehicular. Ethanol (lets hope that doesn't play out) is currently the only alternative that works with large vehicles/trucks/semis. Electric doesnt' cut it for large vehicles.

is what the cng part of the plan is...
http://www.cngnow.com/EN-US/Pages/default.aspx

H2O boy

pickens plan is the same as it always has been. To line his pockets. He's been exposed a hundred times as a self serving conman.

I don't have a problem with the man making money. I have a problem with him making money like this.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
don't even need to click on that. it's well-known that at best new drilling will be fractional hedge against the inevitable maybe 10 years down the road.

So, then we're better off not drilling because it's too long until we reap any benefit. After all, oil will be more plentiful in ten years.

Professur

No, no Gonz. Y'see ... all those electric cars recharge themselves by magic, just like the batteries last forever and then evaporate into thin air when they're done. And they weigh less than a full tank of gas, doncha know.

electric cars are, and always have been .. a joke. Today's cars are nearly as efficient as massive power plants are. People, on the other hand, simply need to learn how to drive them more efficiently. There's a company (which I can't find at the moment, but I'll track them down later) who builds a small add on accessory for all makes and models which does one thing. Turns on a light on your dash to tell you when you're driving inefficiently. Studies showed that within a week, average fuel consumption dropped by 10% across the board. Brake earlier, easy on the take off, empty the trunk of unneeded crap, and get a regular tune up .... no need for electric anything. Sitting in traffic? Turn off the damn engine. Contrary to common belief, modern cars don't use more than 5 minutes of gas while starting. More like 10 secs worth.

catocom

pickens plan is the same as it always has been. To line his pockets. He's been exposed a hundred times as a self serving conman.

I don't have a problem with the man making money. I have a problem with him making money like this.

ok, lets look at you're analogy.
Say you are right. Doesn't make the plan bad.
Would you rather the Saudis take us over through our markets?
It can happen with the current greed and financial situations.

so even if you are right....lesser of the 2 bads.
not IMO though.

We gotta do something, and if left Totally to the politicians, we'll be screwed again.

Frodo

OK, let me see if I got this right. 15 Billion barrels (a six month supply for the world) will have not have an effect on market prices. But, checking the air pressure in my car will bring OPEC to its knees. Boy, that John Adams was a real idiot. We need a true intellectual like Marx (not Groucho). Why, if we could get the government to take over oil production, control the price, and ration it out, life would be perfect. Vote Obama!! After all, "you can't just drive your SUVs, eat what you want, keep your house set at 72 degrees and think that's OK". Last one to Venezuela is a rotten egg!!!

BTW, that 15BBLs is what is left over after you force the oil companies out 100 miles, beyond the continental shelf where the real supply is. Don't forget Anwar.

As for 10 years being too long to make it worth while, they have been saying that for the last decade!!

MrBishop

They can be. However, how many nuke plants do we need to keep the power grid operational?
Build'em to your hearts content. I have no issues with nuclear power... oil and coal-fired I have issues with...and not because of greenhouse gasses.

MrBishop

electric cars are, and always have been .. a joke. Today's cars are nearly as efficient as massive power plants are. People, on the other hand, simply need to learn how to drive them more efficiently. There's a company (which I can't find at the moment, but I'll track them down later) who builds a small add on accessory for all makes and models which does one thing. Turns on a light on your dash to tell you when you're driving inefficiently. Studies showed that within a week, average fuel consumption dropped by 10% across the board. Brake earlier, easy on the take off, empty the trunk of unneeded crap, and get a regular tune up .... no need for electric anything. Sitting in traffic? Turn off the damn engine. Contrary to common belief, modern cars don't use more than 5 minutes of gas while starting. More like 10 secs worth.
Modern engines barely hit 40% efficiency. Comparing them to modern power plants gives power plants a bad name :D

A lot of these things help your personal gas consumption. So would maximum speeds on all vehicles (120kph/65mph) - mandated.

The problem is not the so called 1st worlds' thirst, but the developing world's thirst for oil and what THAT's going to do for gas prices and availability.

This shouldn't be a political discussion (OMG the Mooslims control our fuel!!11) - It's a supply/demand problem where alternative sources of power seem to be the only way out from under that particular thumb.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
That's not what you, or your source, espouse. We should've been drilling since the 1980's...right after TMI caused a scare in the nuclear energy industry. Yes, we should be finding alternative energy, but we should also be using more domestic energy as opposed to foreign.

Professur

It's a supply/demand problem where alternative sources of power seem to be the only way out from under that particular thumb.

Exactly ... the problem is that 'electric' isn't an alternative to dino. Power companies generate power based on usage, with a certain 'extra' offline generation available for tapping. Cheapest comes first, so all the hydro electric can and should be considered as already under use. Then comes coal/diesel. Then nuke. Solar/ thermal/wave seldom have the numbers to change anything significantly. That means that any increase in electric demand will almost always be an increase in coal/diesel production.

Oh, and as for car's efficiency .... you do know what they say about statistics. Do yourself a favour and look into exactly what your '40%' draws from. I'll wager they're counting a whole lot of idling in there.

MrBishop

Oh goody, more regualtions & laws.

Let the market decide.
The same market that brought you Fredy and Fannie? :rofl:

The 'market' ain't that smart...and doesnt' take into account China's growing thirst for cars and fuel to burn in them.

MrBishop

Exactly ... the problem is that 'electric' isn't an alternative to dino. Power companies generate power based on usage, with a certain 'extra' offline generation available for tapping. Cheapest comes first, so all the hydro electric can and should be considered as already under use. Then comes coal/diesel. Then nuke. Solar/ thermal/wave seldom have the numbers to change anything significantly. That means that any increase in electric demand will almost always be an increase in coal/diesel production.

Oh, and as for car's efficiency .... you do know what they say about statistics. Do yourself a favour and look into exactly what your '40%' draws from. I'll wager they're counting a whole lot of idling in there.

For the former: Hydro is cheaper up here 'cause it's more abundant and the infrastructure is in place already... not quite the same 'down south', where I believe that coal-power is more abundant (I'll have to check).

The latter: Not statistics from what I read. Engineering - issues with compression and combustion. I'm not an engineer, but they were talking about how much fuel is left uncombusted and blown out the tailpipe.

Thermal effeciency. *I'll try to find the damn links again.

2minkey

bootlicker
So, then we're better off not drilling because it's too long until we reap any benefit. After all, oil will be more plentiful in ten years.

i don't think i said that we should not drill. just that it would be a "fractional hedge" i.e. a few percentage points at most. as to the latter part of your statement... bite me.