Why was this thread closed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lopan

Do you use any specific criteria to judge when a thread needs closing?

Isn't there a danger that over moderated forums become like dictatorships with the Mods becoming over zealous with any comment and thread that doesn't agree with them?

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Since when was OTC over-moderated? Or are you just stating that as a "case in point" kind of thing?

As far as I know, we have enough level-headed mods (myself excluded) that it precludes the potential for overzealous modding.

Spirit

Kissy Goddess
Hmm.. ok, just my opinion here.... if you are a contributor, then you can take the question up with fury as to what's over moderated, if you're not a contributor, suck it up and enjoy what's free.

unclehobart

Also, insofar as I remember, the only moderators capable of clamping down on a RW thread are the admin and owner types. Its closing has been discussed by the entire command staff and whole heartedly agreed upon. Such a task then falls to the next command level individual on duty... mostly falling to Leslie due to her early rise times. It was in no way a tyrranical solo act upon her part. Save some of those pointing fingers for all of us... including me.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Lopan said:
Isn't there a danger that over moderated forums become like dictatorships with the Mods becoming over zealous with any comment and thread that doesn't agree with them?

Yeah that danger is real. But its not this site's case.

Overwhining isn't tolerated thou.

chcr

Too cute for words
As a participant, I fully understood why the thread was closed. It was going nowhere and no one was about to concede a point. :shrug: I was bored or I would have stopped posting in it long before. I don't understand why anyone cares, I guess.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
chcr said:
As a participant, I fully understood why the thread was closed. It was going nowhere and no one was about to concede a point. :shrug: I was bored or I would have stopped posting in it long before. I don't understand why anyone cares, I guess.

horse.gif

The goat butts against the hedge, and his horns become entangled...;)

IDLEchild

Spirit said:
Hmm.. ok, just my opinion here.... if you are a contributor, then you can take the question up with fury as to what's over moderated, if you're not a contributor, suck it up and enjoy what's free.

Beautiful logic, must work wonders for you. So the right to question and crticize lies only in the hands of those who pony up the cash?

chcr said:
I don't understand why anyone cares, I guess.

I found the reasoning behind the lockdown absurd. There are threads in LL that go one for pages about absolutetly nothing...mindless sexual innuendo and idle banter...what purpose does that serve? Nothing, it is entertainment...this whole board is entertainment. A way to relax and stimiulate one's mind with like minded people. If the thread was recieving posts which weren't lude, offensive or otherwise derogatory then why shut it down because it doesn't seem to be proving anything....

...I mean it was creationism VS Evolution...did anyone expect any, riveting, new developments to arise out of that thread? Did anyone seriously expect anyone to change their minds?....The thread had no real purpose when it was started.

The many, many winky, gonz, and tankgirl verbal brawls in RW...what purpose do they serve? Why let those threads stand when the outcome is obvious and the back and forth replies downright childish? No one cares then?

I didn't care for the thread, not untill I saw it was closed. I wanted to now why so I read through 5 pages and still no reason...ok, so I wondered "hmm, maybe page #6 will show why it was locked", and nothing. Prof decides it is faux and Leslie closes it.

fury said:
Since when was OTC over-moderated? Or are you just stating that as a "case in point" kind of thing?

As far as I know, we have enough level-headed mods (myself excluded) that it precludes the potential for overzealous modding.

This site's moderation is excellent. Do not even waste your time explaining yourself fury. Everyone does an admirable job for no monetary value at all. No complaints there.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
IC said:
There are threads in LL that go one for pages about absolutetly nothing...

That is a large part of the LL. It is virtually the only reason for the KK.

We lock a thread because someone requests it & the reasoning is sound.

Nuff said.

Professur

Ic, not that it's really any of you business, but I'll clarify.

I, personally, tried to redirect that thread several times to something other than "Sez you. No, sez you". It wasn't going anywhere. I posted an open comment that unless anyone could tell me that this thread wasn't going nowhere, I was going to close it. Why did I do that? Because that's what moderators are for. I received messages from major posters on both sides of the argument that I should go ahead. I then consulted with the board admins on the subject. It was agreed at that level that the discussion hadn't progressed anywhere, and wasn't likely to. Only then was it closed. Hardly what I'd call acting on a pesonal whim ..... or closing it because my side wasn't winning, Gato.

Spirit

Kissy Goddess
IDLEchild said:
Beautiful logic, must work wonders for you. So the right to question and crticize lies only in the hands of those who pony up the cash?
*sigh*
No,dear. I just think that if (generic)you're gonna piss and moan over how things are run - and you can't be bothered to donate - then suck it up.

And... uh.. you talk about logic?? **LAUGHING!!!!** you once put *tank girl is hot so cram it haters* under your name... NOW THAT's logic. Uh huh. Ok...

IDLEchild

Spirit said:
And... uh.. you talk about logic?? **LAUGHING!!!!** you once put *tank girl is hot so cram it haters* under your name... NOW THAT's logic. Uh huh. Ok...

No, sweetheart...thats a joke. Not logic....Repeat with me: "There was nothing logical or strategic about having a humorous user title. I will go ahead and look up what logic actually means and apply it in insults proprely".....repeat 10X.

get back to me when understood m'kay.

No,dear. I just think that if (generic)you're gonna piss and moan over how things are run - and you can't be bothered to donate - then suck it up.

Understood. So I assume the same can be expected of you then? I'll be on a lookout sweetums.

Prof said:
Ic, not that it's really any of you business, but I'll clarify.

Oh thank you. I will now sleep well knowing information that wasn't my buisness to begin with.

Spirit

Kissy Goddess
IDLEchild said:
No, sweetheart...thats a joke. Not logic....Repeat with me: "There was nothing logical or strategic about having a humorous user title. I will go ahead and look up what logic actually means and apply it in insults proprely".....repeat 10X.
So you're saying, in your sig, that the comment about tank being hot is a joke? You're so suave.
IDLEchild said:
get back to me when understood m'kay.
Oh - um... ya sure... I'll get right on it....

IDLEchild said:
Understood. So I assume the same can be expected of you then? I'll be on a lookout sweetums..
See, herein lies a small problem. I DON"T PISS AND MOAN ABOUT THE MODS. Not worth my time. So you can stalk my every post, in fact, I'm honored that you are going to!! :lol2:

IDLEchild

Spirit said:
So you're saying, in your sig, that the comment about tank being hot is a joke? You're so suave.

Read again.

How is my user title have anything to do with faulty logic as opposed to your inane statement intially made?

Humor or not...what does it have to do with logic? Ok, so you wanna change the topic and say I am being aviodant of the fact that I think TG is good looking. I've said directly to her so yeah..."suave" indeed.

Now back to my question...What does it have to do with logic? and I am the one being aviodant?

I DON"T PISS AND MOAN ABOUT THE MODS.

Neither do I?....but I don't sit here and take their every action without question.

Not worth my time.

Neither is contributing anything worthwhile to any argument. Or answering simple questions.

So you can stalk my every post, in fact, I'm honored that you are going to!! :lol2:

Yeah...someone actually giving a damn about your posts now will be a sorta of a new thing for you.

Spirit

Kissy Goddess
lol... nevermind. I had a beautiful long reply when I suddenly realized:
I won't lose a wink whether I wax triumphant or bow in defeat - so if you like, and it makes you sleep better, honey - then take the trophy to bed with you.

I'd rather argue about something I am passionate about.

Life is far too sweet to get tangled in this *inane* type of discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.