Why we chose Dish over cable

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
‘Round the clock entertainment.

Change your viewing experience. Comcast Digital Cable gives you TV on your terms. Get more choice and control, and change the way you watch TV with Comcast Digital Cable.

Our Digital Silver package includes one premium channel. Choose from HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, Starz! and The Movie Channel. Each premium includes multiple channels.
Right Now Get....Full Basic, Digital Silver with HBO for only $39.99 per month for 6 months!
Monthly rate is $119.98/month for 6 month(s), ongoing price is $79.99/month
Details…

The special price is more than the standard price? :lol2:

Inkara1

I'm paying around $47 a month for basic cable (well, "expanded basic" really, in any case it's not digital and I have no HBO/skinemax/etc.). If I were to get Dish I'd have to get the Top 120 pack because there are one or two channels I actually do use that aren't on the top 60. I think I'd save like a buck or two a month by the time it's all said and done; not really enough to justify making the switch over and then having to deal with delayed channel changes.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
I've had dishes before. It was OK. Where we live now, it's not an option. Too windy. We've nailed rugs to the porch and still lost 'em.

Professur

If I get down there, I'll show you how to install it proper-like. If it ever comes loose after that, I'll personally come back to fix it.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Dude...you know not what you speak of. This wind ain't no joke. You won't see a dish anywhere around here, and if you see a shingled roof you won't see it for long.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Tornado force winds have not knocked the dish off the roof, what's a little hillbilly downdraft?

TexasRaceLady

I have no choice but the dish. LOL

A regular antenna would have be at least 50 feet in the air.
Can't get cable because I'm outside the city limits.

greenfreak

I've never looked into the Dish around here but I just upgraded my cable to the "silver" package $66.95 a month for:
Love the hit movies and award-winning original series available only on premium channels? Choose the iO Silver package and get access to on demand programming and functionality, 45 digital music channels from Music Choice ® and over 180 channels of quality entertainment, including all this:
Encore
Encore Action
Encore Drama
Encore Love
Encore Mystery
Encore Wam
Encore Westerns
HBO
HBO2
HBO Comedy
HBO Family
HBO Family West
HBO HDTV†
HBO Latino
HBO Signature
HBO Signature West
HBO West
HBO2 West
HBO Zone
Starz
Starz Cinema
Starz Edge
Starz HDTV†
Starz InBlack
Starz Kids & Family

32 or more digital channels
BET JazzFOX Movie ChannelNickelodeon GASBiography ChannelFOX Soccer ChannelNicktoons TVBloomberg TVG4 videogame tvNogginCMTHallmark ChannelOxygenC-SPAN3History InternationalScience ChannelDiscovery TimesLOGOSportskoolDiscovery Home ChannelMilitary ChannelSportskool On DemandDiscovery KidsMTV EspañolTelemundo Puerto RicoESPN ClassicMTV HitsToon DisneyESPNewsmun2VH1 ClassicEuroNewsNational Geographic ChannelVH1 Soul
[font=verdana,arial,helvetica]PLUS ...*[/font] A&E
ABC Family
AMC
Animal Planet
BET
Bravo
Cartoon Network
CNBC
CNN
CNN Headline News
Comedy Central
Court TV
C-SPAN
C-SPAN2
Discovery Channel
Disney Channel
E! Entertainment TV
ESPN
ESPN HDTV†
ESPN2
Food Network
Fox News Channel
FSN NY
FSN NY HDTV†
fuse
FX
Game Show Network
HGTV
History Channel
Independent Film Channel
In HD†
Learning Channel
Lifetime
MSG Network
MSG Network HDTV†
MSNBC
MTV
MTV2
News 12 Traffic & Weather
Nickelodeon
Sci-Fi Channel
Speed Channel
Spike TV
TBS
TNT
TV Land
Universal HD†
USA Network
VH1
WE: Women's Entertainment
Weather Channel
YES HDTV†
YES Network

[font=verdana,arial,helvetica]AND ...*[/font]
All your local networks, like WABC, WNBC, WCBS, WB and FOX; public access and other local and government channels, plus ... ABC HDTV†
CBS HDTV†
Cablevision Channel Guide
FOX HDTV†
Home Shopping Network
Kids Thirteen
NBC HDTV†
News 12
Optimum Autos
Optimum Homes
QVC
Thirteen HDTV†
Thirteen World
WABC Plus
WB HDTV †
WLIW Create

[font=verdana,arial,helvetica]Optional monthly subscriptions available to you as an iO Silver subscriber:[/font]
  • Anime Network On Demand
  • Disney Channel On Demand
  • HBO On Demandsm
  • here! On Demand
  • IFC Uncensored On Demand
  • Playboy TV On Demand
  • ESPN GamePlan
  • iO Sports Pak
  • MLB Extra Inningssm
  • MLS Direct Kick
  • NBA League Pass®
  • NHL® Center Ice®
Plus, you get free on demand channels like Nick On Demand, Mag Rack, sportskool and Thirteen On Demand.

greenfreak

Looks like the big difference between the packages are the movie channels and the sports. I get more movies but less sports. I wonder if my landlord would even let me put a dish on the roof. If I could, it would be completely unobstructed to the ocean; it's probably a great area to have Dish in.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
There is an FCC ruling that apartment dwells may not be disallowed to place dishes on the building.

The silver package doesn't include HBO, et al, does it? Not at that price (unless it's for a limited time)

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Gonz said:
There is an FCC ruling that apartment dwells may not be disallowed to place dishes on the building.

Could you give me a link for that?

Gonz said:
The silver package doesn't include HBO, et al, does it? Not at that price (unless it's for a limited time)

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

minor limitations
Q: If I live in a condominium or an apartment building, does this rule apply to me?

A: The rule applies to antenna users who live in a multiple dwelling unit building, such as a condominium or apartment building, if the antenna user has an exclusive use area in which to install the antenna. "Exclusive use" means an area of the property that only you, and persons you permit, may enter and use to the exclusion of other residents. For example, your condominium or apartment may include a balcony, terrace, deck or patio that only you can use, and the rule applies to these areas. The rule does not apply to common areas, such as the roof, the hallways, the walkways or the exterior walls of a condominium or apartment building. Restrictions on antennas installed in these common areas are not covered by the Commission's rule. For example, the rule would not apply to restrictions that prevent drilling through the exterior wall of a condominium or rental unit and thus restrictions may prohibit installation that requires such drilling.

HomeLAN

As directed by Congress in Section 207 of the Telecommunications Act of 1996, the Federal Communications Commission adopted the Over-the-Air Reception Devices (“OTARD”) rule concerning governmental and nongovernmental restrictions on viewers' ability to receive video programming signals from direct broadcast satellites ("DBS"), broadband radio service providers (formerly multichannel multipoint distribution service or MMDS), and television broadcast stations ("TVBS").

The rule (47 C.F.R. Section 1.4000) has been in effect since October 1996, and it prohibits restrictions that impair the installation, maintenance or use of antennas used to receive video programming. The rule applies to video antennas including direct-to-home satellite dishes that are less than one meter (39.37") in diameter (or of any size in Alaska), TV antennas, and wireless cable antennas. The rule prohibits most restrictions that: (1) unreasonably delay or prevent installation, maintenance or use; (2) unreasonably increase the cost of installation, maintenance or use; or (3) preclude reception of an acceptable quality signal.

Effective January 22, 1999, the Commission amended the rule so that it also applies to rental property where the renter has an exclusive use area, such as a balcony or patio.

So sayeth the FCC.

greenfreak

If you're asking if my silver package has HBO, yes it does. It has all the channels that are listed except for the paragraph of the "on demand". So it's all the HBO, Starz and Encore.

And wouldn't you want to bet that they'll be nothing on? ;)

My landlord has been looking for a reason to be rid of us for years; we're paying about $200-$300 less than the going rate for a summer rental in my area. But we pay on time and don't draw attention to ourselves. Besides the fact that he's not supposed to be renting the house to us or the people upstairs. (it's not an apartment building).

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
If you're only paying 67 bucks & you're getting top tier TV, by all means, stay put. There's something missing here, or the competition for cable customers on the island is great. Typically, full service plus all premiums is over a hundred bucks.

As Pink FLoyd sang...

there's 500 channels of shit on the TV

greenfreak

A lot of people hate them but they did bring us Optimum Online which is the 9th fastest internet access in the country. Just did a speed test, 5284 kbps download. Not too shabby. :D

As far as the cable goes, they get you with little things here and there like taxes and fees for the box kind of shit. We'll see how much it is when the first bill comes in. This is the same price as we were paying for non-digital cable for years so it's a win-win situation.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I just looked at the Silver package from their site. If that package was here, I'd drop Dish in a minute.