Windows 7 beta

chcr

Too cute for words
Anyone played with this yet? It looks alot like Vista.

Haven't tried it yet but I've read several articles. Sounds like it's not quite so "big brother" and rather less of a resource hog which seems like a huge departure from the normal windows business model to me. :D

catocom

Haven't tried it yet but I've read several articles. Sounds like it's not quite so "big brother" and rather less of a resource hog which seems like a huge departure from the normal windows business model to me. :D

that Would be a departure.

Professur

It is Vista. At least, it's what Vista was supposed to be, had they not rushed it to market before it was ready. They openly admitted that they renamed it windows 7 just to try and sidestep that fact.

chcr

Too cute for words
It is Vista. At least, it's what Vista was supposed to be, had they not rushed it to market before it was ready. They openly admitted that they renamed it windows 7 just to try and sidestep that fact.

I read that but I didn't know it came from Microsoft.

pc_builder

I am in the middle of downloading right now. Currently at 57%. This will be the first windows os I've ever beta tested. :D

valkyrie

I bought a laptop last year that came with Vista. I hate Vista, hate it. :banghead:
If I can get past my laziness I'm going to back up my docs and pics and wipe this shit off the laptop and replace it with Ubuntu.

Professur

I bought a copy of linux pro magazine for the ubuntu 8.10 DVD included. I can run the Live copy from DVD, but the install keeps hanging on me. I'm gonna have to give it a try on another machine.

valkyrie

I bought a copy of linux pro magazine for the ubuntu 8.10 DVD included. I can run the Live copy from DVD, but the install keeps hanging on me. I'm gonna have to give it a try on another machine.
Is this a fresh install? Or are you installing over a Windows OS?

Professur

Fresh on a HD unpartitioned in any way. The previous W98 install was so corrupted that I decided a format was the easiest way back to point A. While it was down, I gave the Linux a shot. Didn't go far, but the live run did get me on the web.

valkyrie

Fresh on a HD unpartitioned in any way. The previous W98 install was so corrupted that I decided a format was the easiest way back to point A. While it was down, I gave the Linux a shot. Didn't go far, but the live run did get me on the web.
My gawd, I can't remember the last time I saw Windows 98. :eek: Are you sure the PC is compatible with Linux? It might be so old that you need to upgrade a few components.

Oh, and I take back what I said about wireless on Vista. I just unplugged and moved to the bedroom with the laptop. Saw the router but couldn't get online.
Couldn't be fixed without a reboot. Fucking Vista. :mad:

Professur

I didn't see any hardware limitations on it, but if it's running the live version, I'd expect it to install too.

catocom

I'm sticking with xp ftm.
I don't know which way things are going to go atm.

With steve jobs dying, vistas sucking...

I do have to have the same system somewhere, that most businesses are using, that I deal with.

Professur

In an interview with Computerworld, Torvalds said that Windows 7 is better than Vista and the Vole may have a huge PR advantage as people will compare it to Vista and think it is good so, "angels will sing again." This is what happened with Windows 95 compared to Windows 3.1.

He thinks that Microsoft may have even done this on purpose.

source

valkyrie

I'm sticking with xp ftm.
I don't know which way things are going to go atm.

With steve jobs dying, vistas sucking...

I do have to have the same system somewhere, that most businesses are using, that I deal with.
Where I work, they do not support Vista. I hope they bypass Vista altogether. What a pain in the butt it is.