Windows 7 beta

chcr

Too cute for words
*sniff* *sniff*
Is that sarcasm I smell?

Well, it's either that or cabbage. :fart:

Re Vista, our software vendor doesn't support it either. That said, it's really not that bad once you get the security and personal settings set up. You do need a fast processor and a lot of RAM though and dropping so much backward compatibility (software and hardware) in one go was a serious tactical error.

IDLEchild

From the tech sites like Cnet and PCmag that have played around with it, the consensus seems to be that this will be the windows people don't hate with a passion.

Seems to have cool features and a hugely improved taskbar (hint* copies OSX). Also the new touch screen features are being touted. Also seems to be much better with the code bloat. Few people have been running it on atom powered netbooks and it moves fine.

So naturally by the time it ships all those cool beta features will be stripped (i.e Vista) and 4gb of ram will be standard to run it.

Honestly though I haven't had too much trouble with vista. I have the 64 bit version it on a quadcore machine with 4gb ram so that helps. Been meaning it to bump it up to 8gb of ram for even better multi-tasking performance.

IDLEchild

I've been pleased with my 64-bit version.

Me too. Now that pretty much all PC makers are pushing 64 bit (Gateway has done away with 32bit) things are getting interesting.

Also helps that Adobe finally made a 64 bit version of their Photoshop software and pretty much every other software they offer.

What kind of rig are you running it on?

IDLEchild

Hmm, that's too bad. One of a few things I liked better about Windows was its taskbar concept over Apple's.

Really? I like Apple's response to multi tasking better. One thing I can't stand is how Windows has no respect for you working environment. If you opened an application but the processor is busy and takes time to open it it'll interrupt whatever you were doing when it finally gets around to opening it. That usually happens when I am typing something.

I like how Apple handles that better. It'll open the application and calmly lets you know it's open.

It boggles my mind how Apple pretty much prints money simply because they make products which are thoughtout, not perfect, but not condescending to the user. I can't figure out if Apple is that much smarter than everyone else or every other PC and OS maker is just that much dumber than Apple.

JJR512

Really? I like Apple's response to multi tasking better. One thing I can't stand is how Windows has no respect for you working environment. If you opened an application but the processor is busy and takes time to open it it'll interrupt whatever you were doing when it finally gets around to opening it. That usually happens when I am typing something.

I like how Apple handles that better. It'll open the application and calmly lets you know it's open.

It boggles my mind how Apple pretty much prints money simply because they make products which are thoughtout, not perfect, but not condescending to the user. I can't figure out if Apple is that much smarter than everyone else or every other PC and OS maker is just that much dumber than Apple.

OK, now you're talking about multitasking and the working environment. I will agree with you on those issues specifically. What you quoted me disagreeing with you about was only specifically what I quoted you on, which was the taskbar. I like the Windows taskbar somewhat better in general that the OS X dock. I will add to it that I like the concept of a menu with all programs separate from the display of running programs. Perhaps this is because I was a long-time Windows user who has only switched to Mac about a year ago. Mind you, I am not saying the Windows concept is perfect.

Professur

MICROSOFT HAS SAID THAT, thanks to the huge public beta test, it has managed to make 36 changes to its forthcoming Windows 7 operating system.

In the company's 'Engineering Windows 7' blog, senior program manager Chaitanya Sareen listed the 36 changes to be made to the new operating system as a result of feedback from the public beta.

There were 10 changes to the Window 7 desktop, four to the operating system's new touch-sensitive features, another four to the Control Panel and eight to Windows Media Player. µ

source

Chewie

I'm using the 32bit beta of windows 7 on the laptop I'm using now, and all is well. Much better than Vista.
I'm using the 64bit beta on my desktop, and its snappier than XP, which surprised me.
The desktop is:
Asus M2N
Athlon X2 6000
2 x 2GB ddr2800
9800GT