Yo.. T.D.

nalani

hey Miki - shouldn't The Family have me on contract for this? I mean, I took an island skill to the South where it is being applied and documented .. *nod*

I think I need another trip to the 'aina e to continue sharing these things that, though may not be "Hawaiian", are disctinctly "island". And of course I'll need a researcher or two to accompany me ... how 'bout we go to Texas? I'll show you around ;)

unclehobart

nalani said:
OMG, I've created a MUSUBI MONSTER!

You're great at that Rob! (for those of you who are not impressed, I had to give him written instructions on how to make it .. and if you haven't seen it done before, it can be confusing) .. I am impressed .. and now, I'm also starving ... send one of those bad boys my way! :D
There were instructions? I only remember being told to hack a yaki sheet in half and keep the shiny side out. I sorta made up the rest out of sheer anal nature. I wish I wasn't allergic to soy.. I'd love to drizzle in some teriyaki'd tobasco.

unclehobart

I've become rather good at knocking 12 slices out of a slab of SPAM ... although it becomes hard to taste when its only twice as thick as a credit card. I'm sure my heart is happy that I'm cutting it so thin.

nalani

unclehobart said:
There were instructions? I only remember being told to hack a yaki sheet in half and keep the shiny side out. I sorta made up the rest out of sheer anal nature. I wish I wasn't allergic to soy.. I'd love to drizzle in some teriyaki'd tobasco.

I remember spending the better part of a half hour on ICQ telling you how to put it together ... step by step .... :shrug:

unclehobart

I just got the postcards btw. Sent 10 days apart weeks and weeks ago... and they only did just arrive. The Postal Service is gettting mighty sloppy.

unclehobart

nalani said:
unclehobart said:

I remember spending the better part of a half hour on ICQ telling you how to put it together ... step by step .... :shrug:
Ah.. ok. Only the part about the yaki and flipping a proper egg sunk in :)

unclehobart

halamikage said:
I never thought I'd live to see the day that "the making of a spam musubi" would be posted on the web....*sniff*

'Anakalahobart, you're the best....
I could also do a series on the japanese washcloth ... but it would be suffed out for ... well... being snuff.

nalani

unclehobart said:
I just got the postcards btw. Sent 10 days apart weeks and weeks ago... and they only did just arrive. The Postal Service is gettting mighty sloppy.

The ones from Texas and Maui? You only now got them? OMG

greenfreak

unclehobart said:
The big one. Nice and bushy. Meter tall.

You're still not trimming... if you want horizontal bushiness, cut the stalk (soft stalk, not dark/hard stalk) right above a set of leaves. That's how mine get bushier on the sides as well as height. :)

Lookin good though! Feeding them Miracle Grow every three weeks??

greenfreak

It's possible, I saw one at my nursery the other day. It was black and red, about 6 feet high. They wanted $75. for it ON SALE. I should be selling my stuff and making some good money!! :)

unclehobart

You do have a kick ass growing window with controlable sunlight. Thats my main problem. I just dont have any window that can offer more than 2 hours of light. The side of my house that offers the best light is my garage side. There are no windows on it except for a normal window in the laundry nook and a massive one above the master bathtub. I don't wan't to make my bathtub a base for all of the plants because an open window there would mean a little peekabo action with my neighbors as well as keeping the plants tucked away where I cant see them. Thats no fun.

greenfreak

Too late this year but you can hang them outside in partial shade. All my coleus seem to like direct sunlight even though they're supposed to be shade plants. :shrug:

I'm going to the botanical gardens in a few weeks to see their coleus/canna display. Woo hoo! :D

unclehobart

Too blasted hot for even cultivated shade tropicals down here since the general humidity doesn't stay high enough for them. Leaving them out in full direct light for more than an hour will blast them to dust.. new cuttings especial.

A.B.Normal

This thread went from Rescue dogs to plants to lunch to plants again . My congrats on staying very OT (whatever the topic was)I still don't know what/who "Yo .. T.D." refers to :confuse3:

unclehobart

TD is Greenfreaks initials in real life. We watch some of the same tv .. I was letting her know something about one of those shows. I knew she would come back into the thread in future for a basic update. I knew she wanted to see my plants... formerly spawned off from one of her own plants. I was just grouping the two ideas meant for her. I tossed in the whole lunch thing to see if the Hawaii contingent would run across it ... a private joke if you will.

unclehobart

In other words... it wasn't OT a single bit. The sheer randomness was a carefully laid out prgression. I love it when a plan comes together.