You be the judge

Professur

Former coworker got a DUI and lost his license years ago. Last I heard he's still driving a scooter five or six miles to work.

Not trying to be a prick, but if he's driving without a license and you see it and don't rat him out ... when he kills someone, or himself, you do understand that under the law you're an accessary. (yeah, that's the correct spelling, look it up)

Any kind of crime relating to addiction issues (save violence) should be treated with serious long term treatment in my opinion. Like I said, long treatments, smallest should be like 6 months residential and others 1-2 years as they are much more effective, and it is not easy to go away for that long at all Such treatments must also include even longer periods of mandatory outpatient treatment ongoing as well. They do need to have some hope and incentives to keep sober though, because hopelessness just inspires moor bad behavior. Throwing folks in jail solves nothing, but stacking this treatment as an option instead of much longer jail terms and very long probation and suspended time has just proven a lot more successful in helping to solve problems.

Harsh penalties, and negative reinforcement on it's own doesn't work, and often only encourages more bad behavior. It doesn't work with children or adults in almost any case, and studies prove that. Reform requires hope for a better life and an incentive based system. Some folks prove they will just re-offend over and over, so then yeah, lock 'em up and lose the key.

Mirlyn

Not trying to be a prick, but if he's driving without a license and you see it and don't rat him out ... when he kills someone, or himself, you do understand that under the law you're an accessary. (yeah, that's the correct spelling, look it up)

*shrug* My understanding is you don't need a license, helmet, insurance, tags, etc for what he has (similar to a bike--I've never seen it). It's a sidewalk-only thing, I guess. I would think the amount of times he's been in court and work release that this sort of thing has been addressed.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
rj said:
I just don't think it rises to that level Bish. Driving is necessary for most folks. a 1-2 year suspension is more than enough to send a message loud and clear. Perhaps a 5 year, but forever revocations are just ridiculous in my oinion, but if that guy EVER gets any ticket and blows positive for even a .01, then yes, permanent revocation!

Oh and the probation should be no less than ten years. If the guy is caught consuming ANY alcohol in that period, then revoke his license and make him do all or part of a suspended 10 year sentence attached to the probation period. That guy has forfeited his right to drink in my opinion! In fact perhaps that should be on his license too, so if he ever goes to a bar he will be carded and it is a crime to serve him any alcoholic beverage for LIFE! That make it any better to you Bish?

Umm...people drive with suspended licenses. That includes some with a revoked license. Best to put them in a national database accessible by all state DMV's and confiscate every vehicle he/she buys when they come in to get their plate...and, yes, they are still responsible for paying the car note. ;)

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Best to put them in a national database accessible by all state DMV's and confiscate every vehicle he/she buys when they come in to get their plate...and, yes, they are still responsible for paying the car note. ;)

More federal power & now you're advocating siezing private property?

Licensing is a state matter. Private property is not to be taken without fair compensation.

Altron

Umm...people drive with suspended licenses. That includes some with a revoked license. Best to put them in a national database accessible by all state DMV's and confiscate every vehicle he/she buys when they come in to get their plate...and, yes, they are still responsible for paying the car note. ;)

Or, if they get pulled over with a suspended license, impound the car for 2 weeks. More constitutional, and would discourage people from borrowing a friend's car.

Why don't we just give a suspended license driver 10 years in prison. Then we'd have no crime and all would be utopia!

On an emotional level on the subject of crime, watching cons debate is like watching a bunch of kindergartners fighting over a ball on a playground.....