You knew the rules...

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
chcr said:
I guess that'd be back when blacks and jews weren't allowed in "better" clubs, huh?

BTW...we still aren't, and it only becomes an issue when somebody wants attention. Think I care if I can't join some private 'frou-frou' club? I don't. If I come to a point in my life where I do, I can always start my own club, and open it to anybody who wishes to join. My club, my rules. It's not hard...unless you're socially inept. ;)

chcr

Too cute for words
Gato_Solo said:
BTW...we still aren't, and it only becomes an issue when somebody wants attention. Think I care if I can't join some private 'frou-frou' club? I don't. If I come to a point in my life where I do, I can always start my own club, and open it to anybody who wishes to join. My club, my rules. It's not hard...unless you're socially inept. ;)
I really don't disagree with any of that, Gato. It's just that the exclusionary attitude that things like this represent exacerbates a problem that will never be solved, and I used to have such high hopes. It's not what the American ideal was meant to represent. I want to be proud of my country, but sometimes I can't be.

Gato_Solo

chcr said:
I really don't disagree with any of that, Gato. It's just that the exclusionary attitude that things like this represent exacerbates a problem that will never be solved, and I used to have such high hopes. It's not what the American ideal was meant to represent. I want to be proud of my country, but sometimes I can't be.

Also...99 times out of 100 it's not race that plays a part in those exclusionary tactics...it's either compatibility (new vs old money), business ties (don't know the right people), or past activities (nobody wants to have Charles Manson in their club, either). Since there are racist organizations in the US, and some schools of "higher learning", those would be the 1 out of 100 that actively segregate due to race.

What you have going on is not racism, but classism.

Gato_Solo

HomeLAN said:
Whih, God knows, is only acceptable when practiced one direction, NOT the other.

:grinno: Put a rich guy in a poor neighborhood and, money or not, he won't feel welcome.

HomeLAN

Sorry, should have said it's only officially sanctioned in one direction. Street rules are street rules, anywhere.