0.568 261 25 liter of beer?

standardization, particulalry in a linear sense, always increases productivity.

unless yer in an archaic agrarian economy.

then it don't mean nothing. and you can go back to... whatever....

Maybe, but that isn't the point. I wanna know why switching from one standardized system to a different standardized system would increase productivity as claimed by the original postulator.

Maybe, but that isn't the point. I wanna know why switching from one standardized system to a different standardized system would increase productivity as claimed by the original postulator.

Bottom line, because the replacement system is intuitve and significantly easier to learn and use. :shrug:

OK, taking that at face value, then it would possibly be more productive in another generation as today's work force is already indoctrinated to the old system, and retraining most of them and the attendant time lags to do the conversions will REDUCE productivity short term. Now, can we name all the businesses willing to do that?

I think I just did.

I know transition would not be easy, but that's what transitions are for. For a while you would manage both of them, so people get used to some equivalences. Then after a while, imperial would be eliminated gradually. Is not easy, but it is worth it. Really.

Start by convincing the major manufacturers it's worth the short term loss. I don't see them going for that.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

We had to learn up the metric system reel gud cuz the guberment was gonna convert U.S. all over to it

that was in 75

I remember when my elementary school teacher (I forget which grade it was) started covering the metric system. He (it must have been 7th or 8th grade, only time I had a male teacher in elem school...) told us "I have to cover this because the government says we are going to convert to it, but I don't think anyone in this room will ever see it happen. Maybe if I teach you, you can help your kids learn it someday." Well, the 14.57 year old hasn't learned it either, even though it was "covered" in about 4 grades. Maybe someday she can help her kids learn it...

but I doubt she'll have to.

Yep because we and the Brits are the oddballs of the world
and don't have the same measurement system as the rest of the planet,
they need to learn it.

OK, taking that at face value, then it would possibly be more productive in another generation as today's work force is already indoctrinated to the old system, and retraining most of them and the attendant time lags to do the conversions will REDUCE productivity short term. Now, can we name all the businesses willing to do that?

I think I just did.

If you can count money, you can learn the metric system. I honestly don't think it affects most businesses at all in any significant way. Carpentry will remain the same and as you pointed out a long time ago, the whole discussion is moot to most people. The person who can't count your change back from a ten if the computer doesn't tell them can no more figure out how long a 60 mile trip at an average 45 mph will take than how long a 100 km trip at 60 kph will. I can figure either one in my head but one is clearly easier than the other. You're right about one thing though. America today is way to hidebound and inflexible for the change to take place.

Edit: The people who really need it (military, science, engineering) already use it.

Back