3 day weekend!

Then assume no less than $200., sidetrips, head winds, running from the law.

Inkara1 said:
I've got 2329.96 miles from my front door to Unc's front door (according to Mapquest). If I average 30 miles to the gallon (I think that's doable, maybe even a bit higher,; never had a tank that was all freeway and no city and I've gotten over 30 before), that's just under 78 gallons each way, or $169.18 per way figured at the higher price.

Cripes, Inky. I just looked it up. My minivan get near the same gas milage as your compact. Something there ain't right.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/FEG/bymodel/1995_Dodge_Neon.shtml

The hubby and I have to go to California about the first of May. I'm not looking forward to that little trip. My Lincoln does fairly well on the highway --- about 25 mpg --- but it's still going to cost plenty.

Professur said:
Cripes, Inky. I just looked it up. My minivan get near the same gas milage as your compact. Something there ain't right.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/FEG/bymodel/1995_Dodge_Neon.shtml
Mine's a 2000, not a 1995. They changed the gearing a bit for 2000; it has more fifth-gear pickup but it costs a little bit in the MPG department. But my foot also has quite a bit to do with it. I've been averaging 24-25 since I started working at RadioShack... some days I only drive about a mile to work and a mile back, and other days I also have a trip 12 or so miles to school and 12 back. The short trips are not too good for mileage. The only actual long trips I've taken with it have been to Fresno and back. That's always involved some driving around while in town, and it's only about 120 miles so a tankful is enough to get me there and back and have some left over. That means I don't know what kind of mileage the car would get if it did 325 miles on the freeway between gas stops. Given those circumstances, the best average I've had is 31.

So, $400 in gas, which ignores other costs like oil, wear and tear, etc. The IRS doesn't pull its figure of 40 cents a mile out of its ass. Versus an air ticket costing $424 round trip Friday and Monday flights, according to Travelocity. How much is that radio experience really worth?

Which airport? I found a ticket for $243 or so out of LAX if I leave Thursday instead of Friday.

Travelocity quoted me $249, but when I started to book, they told me "oops! the price of this trip has changed" to $332. Bait-and-switch sucks, so I won't be booking with that gnome again. Hotwire quoted me $254, and they actually gave me an e-ticket with Continental Airlines for that price. Imagine that.

My flight leaves LA at 11:25 a.m. on Thursday, June 23. I land in Salt Lake City at 2:12 p.m., and take off from there at 2:54 p.m. I'm scheduled to touch down at 8:36 p.m. at ATL. I take off that Monday (6/27) at 5:45 p.m. and arrive in Salt Lake City at 7:43. I leave SLC at 8:30 and touch down in LA at 9:27.

When the time gets closer, I'll have to work out with you guys for transportation from the airport, where I'll sleep, etc. I'll also get some contact numbers so I can let you know if a flight gets messed up or something so you're not sitting at the airport in Atlanta like a dumbass while I'm sitting at the airport in Salt Lake like a dumbass.

I don't start accruing vacation time until early May, meaning I'll probably have a day or two of vacation time or something by the time the BBQ rolls around. So most of this trip is at the expense of working time. I'm coming in on Thursday night so I'll have Friday to see any attractions Atlanta might possibly have; that and the two days of BBQ should be vacation enough for me.

Back