Stop Laughing

No football to watch here tonight...

A 511 (5 alarm fire, the highest alarm possible) downtown at a 45 floor high rise on the 29th floor has been going for more than the last 3 hours. Over 1/3 of the entire Chicago Fire Department is there (approximating 300 firefighters). I think my mother's got some clients in that building (LaSalle Bank building, 135 S LaSalle) and a lot of international banking is done actually on that floor. It's still spreading and not under control, even after 3 hours... :eek: Makes you appreciate the great job by the fire department as there's not even been any serious injuries or fatalities yet.

Inkara1

You missed a hell of a football game. Dallas 43, Seattle 38. I missed almost all of it, too, due to class. :(

One thing the story failed to point out, something which Prof mentioned about the World Trade Center, something which makes perfect sense, is that the necessary equipment/plumbing to have enough pressure ready to feed water to sprinklers on the 40th floor of a skyskraper would be a logistical nightmare at best.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Engineers do outstanding works. They can put 50 working urinals, sinks & drinking fountains per floor but not overhead, drip-style sprinklers?

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Heard about this fire on the radio news this AM. Musta been a bad one.

Chicago and fire have a bit of history, I do believe...

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Gonz said:
Engineers do outstanding works. They can put 50 working urinals, sinks & drinking fountains per floor but not overhead, drip-style sprinklers?

They use tanks with water are on the highest floor. The problem of taking it up is far more complicated than making it go down.

Professur

The 21 story hotel we worked at had a three stage system for supplying water to the upper floors. You move a little water at low pressure up to holding tanks every 7 floors. Then use a higher pressure pump to move water from that resevoir to the 7 floors it serves. The problem is volume. Every single room flushing at once wouldn't strain that system. but sprinklers put out gallons/second. That means a resevoir tank of hundreds of thousands of gallons. And it means space to put that tank, and structure to support it. At best, you can plan to operate the sprinklers on 3 floors simultaneously for 30mins.

MrBishop

Professur said:
The 21 story hotel we worked at had a three stage system for supplying water to the upper floors. You move a little water at low pressure up to holding tanks every 7 floors. Then use a higher pressure pump to move water from that resevoir to the 7 floors it serves. The problem is volume. Every single room flushing at once wouldn't strain that system. but sprinklers put out gallons/second. That means a resevoir tank of hundreds of thousands of gallons. And it means space to put that tank, and structure to support it. At best, you can plan to operate the sprinklers on 3 floors simultaneously for 30mins.

Nah...the main problem is that space costs money and money is far mroe important than clients whose money you already have banked.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
MrBishop said:
Nah...the main problem is that space costs money and money is far mroe important than clients whose money you already have banked.

That, and the fact that a GIGANTIC tank of water on top of a 40 story building will cause major structural hurtles to overcome...you get some wind that causes the building to sway and then the water sways and the momentum of that much water swaying...the stabilizers that would be needed would be PHENOMINAL...not to mention the structure woudl have to carry that much extra weight.

MrBishop

Nixy said:
That, and the fact that a GIGANTIC tank of water on top of a 40 story building will cause major structural hurtles to overcome...you get some wind that causes the building to sway and then the water sways and the momentum of that much water swaying...the stabilizers that would be needed would be PHENOMINAL...not to mention the structure woudl have to carry that much extra weight.

Don't they use water as a stabilizer in some towers? I can swear that I saw something like that being used in high earthquake areas.

Professur

Earthquakes and wind aren't the same thing. Much different frequencies. Much different duration.

tonksy

maybe if the buildings had better sprinklers or had some kind of chemical (afff, do they use that outside of the military?) fire suppression system then things might not have been so bad. fires harder to fight when it's, you know, big.