A Hole Saw Thief

yeah :canada:

but I'd thought people who live elsewhere at least KNEW about it :eek5:

I mean...to look at it...what else could it be but a screwdriver? :confuse3:

Robertson Screwdriver
The legend goes like this: Sometime around the turn of the century, Peter Lymburner Robertson was setting up a street booth from which he planned to sell tools, when the slot-headed screwdriver he was using slipped out of the screw head and slashed open his hand. "There must be a better way," he mumbled to himself before vowing then and there, the story goes, to create the ultimate driver.
Okay, okay, the tale may sound a little corny, but P. L. Robertson did indeed patent his square-headed driver and screw system in 1908. And not long after, the Fisher Body Company (famous for constructing the Ford Model T) decided to use his invention in its production line. The rest, as they say, is history.
Robertson's colour-coded screwdrivers—green, red and black from smallest to largest-and square-headed screws have grown to dominate the Canadian fastening market: Fully 85% of the screws sold in Canada use the Robertson head. And after a mere 90 years of production, our American cousins are finally keying onto the fact that Robertson indeed created a better driver. About 10% of the screws sold in the U.S. are Robertson and This Old House and New Yankee Workshop guru Norm Abram suggests they could dominate the industry in 15 years.

Leslie said:
Squiggy asked me for a screwdriver yesterday...he said anything will do...I handed him a flathead, a square and a star...he looks at the squarehead and says...that's not a screwdriver! :eek5:

I laughed for HOURS :rofl3:
Ummm, ya KNOW, we don't admit to having too many things with square heads here. Use your imagination for the exceptions. :D

Norm's an idiot. The future for screwdrivers is the double robertson, AKA Torx.

BTW in your bio, you forgot to mention the smallest Robbie is the yellow, or size #0.

Norm's not an idiot. He has every single wood tool known to man...bar NONE...and he always wears his safety glasses, when the situation warrants it too. :p

He's not an idiot. He's a fucking idiot. His show is an insult to every do-it-yourselfer out there. What's the point of my watching a show on how to make a 16th century replica end table, when he's not gonna show me a single tool that costs less than the real antique would?

Professur said:
He's not an idiot. He's a fucking idiot. His show is an insult to every do-it-yourselfer out there. What's the point of my watching a show on how to make a 16th century replica end table, when he's not gonna show me a single tool that costs less than the real antique would?
Damned straight, Prof. I watch though, every once in a while he trots something out that i didn't even realize there was a need for.

I think that's my point :D He HAS a biscuit joiner, a router with every single wacky bit ever made...a table saw, a band saw,a compound mitre saw, a belt sander that takes 4"x 4' belts...safety goggles AND his own TV show. He gets to make guest appearances on This Old House occasionally to make Bob Vila, who really IS an idiot...look like an idiot. :D ...at least he can read a tape.

Holy reruns, Batman, Bob hasn't been on This Old House in, what, 10 years?

And Bob is a host. He's supposed to be incompetent. That makes the contractors look good.

Q said:
He HAS a biscuit joiner, a router with every single wacky bit ever made...a table saw, a band saw,a compound mitre saw, a belt sander that takes 4"x 4' belts...safety goggles
Uh-oh, I don't have a compound mitre saw or a belt sander, and my biscuit joiner needs to be replaced, and Prof thinks he's the tooloholic????

<french accent>Do I smell a challange?

Bought an arc welder coz it was half price. Never powered it up yet.
Bought a drill press on sale last year. Still trying to figure out how to excuse that.
Bought a 1/2" hammer drill last year. Used once
Bought a 9.6V 3/8" drill last year. Used 3 times
Bought a 6" circular saw last year. Used lots. Much lighter than my older 7 1/2"
Bought a 7.2V detail sander last year. Takes the hard skin off my heels nicely.
Was given a brad nailer for the B-day.
That's only the power tools. And only last year. (cept the welder, that's a few years back) Add on about $100 in electrical and data cabling tools. I've a $60 precision screwdriver set with bits down to 00 phillips. Nut drivers, air tools, sawsall, jig saws, handtools, ...

Last time I sent the insurance a list, it was well over six grand, and that was 2 years ago. I don't even wanna think about what my dad's toolbox is gonna add to that. But I know there are several specialty tools in there. One special one that he designed himself and won an award for.

Y'know, that's gonna be the hardest thing. Taking his tools as my own.

I have to give mad props to the Robertson screwdriver setup. It won't slip out like the flathead will, and it won't strip easily the way phillips will. I'd think Torx would have the same problem as the Phillips, since there's so little metal holding back the force.

Here's an interesting one, though: I've noticed that with Allen (hex-key) wrenches, the screws don't strip--because the wrenches do.

I lock all my tools up at work cus people like to borrow and not bring back. Last time I went into Home Depot for wire cutters, they had the tool section locked down. There was a metal detector you had to go through and a really small doorway with a security guard standing next to it. I asked the cashier, "So... You get a lot of theft round here?" she smiled and said, "You wouldn't believe it if I told you."

The last screwdrivers I bought were for Rusty's laptop:

64-1961.jpg

Aren't they cute? :D

I have this really neat screwdriver... it's a flat head with a wooden handle that rachets... you can make it go either way... it must be all of 15 years old but it still works fine and I just love the feel of it in my hand. :)

Back