A riddle without an answer....

Sounds like your declaring yourself to be one of those "retards" who think sound is "that which is heard"...:tardbang:

How about that which is felt but not heard?

The human ear works within a limited spectrum which can be 'heard'. We label what we can't hear as sub or super-sonic. In the case of sub-sonics, we can't hear them but we can definatly feel them. THe impact wave of an explosion is actually a wall of sound which can knock things over and can be felt in the chest (where we have these wonderful air-filled amps called lungs). An earthquake rumbles, but most of the noise that it makes is sub-sonic for us...Dogwhistles are super-sonic for us, but will drive your Dog nuts!

We can't define certain sounds through our own experience because we don't register it, but it still exists as sound because we can see it's effects on others (animals).

We can also use sound waves to cut through materials. It's a fairly bad way of doing things, but ultra-high frequency sound can slice through fairly tough materials.

a13antichrist said:
For that matter, how do we even know that the tape recorder is recodring sounds, and not sound-wav vibration patterns? :D It could very well record in raw format, and simply reproduce the same fluctuations, irrespective of the existence or not of objective 'sound' taking place. :p
What about snakes? They "hear" not through ears, but through resting their jaw on the ground and feeling the sound traveling through the earth. How would that fit in your view? ;)

BTW, Gonz, as I remember my world history (and I remember quite vaugely), it was the Church that believed the earth was flat. The Mediterranean was so much more advanced in scientific ways than the Church. The scientists (of the Church)predicted he'd sail off the edge of the world, so everyone believed thats what would happen. At least, thats how I remember it. I'm probably wrong though :retard:

Back