a roadtrip...

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
But I'm not after his car...just his money, and at least I'm honest about it by outright theft instead of theft by tourist-trap. :D I just thought he'd appreciate the elimination of the shoddy goods, and boorish service. :D

unclehobart

Michigan boring? I rank the upper half of Michigan to be the third most beautiful area I've seen in all of my travels. Granted, human life is a little scarce ... but it isnt a boring drive by any means.

1. Western Montana cris crossing the Rockies
2. The Denver area
3. Upper Michigan
4. off the beaten path in southern Kentucky
5. The farm country surrounding and NW of Minot, North Dakota.

Gato_Solo

I was under the impression he wanted to see things that were more interesting than deer, elk, eagles, and rocket ranches, which is why he's sticking to capitals. If he isn't too keen on off-the-beaten-path vacations, then, as I've said, upper Michigan is a little on the dull side.

greenfreak

You've already come to my neck of the woods so unless you want to go out on Long Island, I don't really have anything to add.

The east end of Long Island is farm and wine country. If you want to skip driving through NYC to get up to Connecticut, you could take the Orient Point ferry at the end of Long Island. In nice weather, there are farm stands along the way selling everything from fresh fruit to corn, tons and tons of wineries, nice views. :)

unclehobart

He's doing a 6 month run. I figure that 1/3 of that for cities, 1/3 small town or backwoods, 1/3 slow travel and whatnot.

Gato_Solo

I was thinking closer to 6-month doing city tours. Figure 1 week per city to get the full effect. :shrug:

unclehobart

That would be cheaper ... but rather limiting... hmmm.

Dan, we need details on how you plan to shuttle about as it would modify our reccomendations.

unclehobart

If it really is meant to be big city bingo, he will need a good 10 days for NYC as they have many awesome museums and quisine both fair and foul that runs the gammut of all human tastes.

Up to 2 weeks might be needed for DC because of the Smithsonian and all of the other government worship fascinating stuff ...like the Washington Monument.

Gato_Solo

True, true, but the lack of exciting things in Harrisburg, PA would make up for his longer trips to either NYC or Washington, DC. Not every state capital has plenty to do. ;)

One thing, though. If you do happen to stop in Harrisburg, you simply must take the side-trip to Hershey, PA, and visit the plant and, weather permitting, the amusement park.

Gato_Solo

Gato_Solo said:
True, true, but the lack of exciting things in, say, Harrisburg, PA would make up for his longer trips to either NYC or Washington, DC. Not every state capital has plenty to do. ;)

One thing, though. If you do happen to stop in Harrisburg, you simply must take the side-trip to Hershey, PA, and visit the plant and, weather permitting, the amusement park.

unclehobart

Yeah... I've been through Harrisburg and could only think of the old Vietnam footage of the smoking ruins of Hue after the repulse of the Tet Offensive. That place is a serious mess. I was going to let YOU decide what he needs to do in Penn. since youre the old school local boy.

Gato_Solo

Definitely Philadelphia's historic district, the Hershey factory...and Hershey Park if it's summer, a quick breeze through Pittsburgh (It's about 6 1/2 hours travel on the same interstate from Philadelphia and Hershey/Harrisburg), stopping to see old Fort Pitt, and then on to Ohio...

we were kinda thinking that we could buy a camper van of some description over there and sleep in that (being cheap-ass broke ex-students )... do you think that would be feasible?

Check out national parks and/or state parks on the way through, as they are cheaper than the 'civilian' (KOA)campgrounds. If any of you are in the UK military, you can also stay on US military bases, provided you give plenty of lead-time to get on a waiting list.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
unc said:
I rank the upper half of Michigan to be the third most beautiful area I've seen in all of my travels

I fully concur. I spend most of my time in the lower third & last summer I was pleasantly surprised by the upper half. Still wanting to go to the UP.

tommyj27

Not really Banned
Professur said:
Frig. That puts it all in perspective, doesn't it? All those plans, all that future, PFFT! Gone.
that's why i believe that there is something beyond this world, i can't fathom the destruction of a conciousness, that something as wonderful as that could implode on itself leaving nothing.

tommyj27 said:
Professur said:
Frig. That puts it all in perspective, doesn't it? All those plans, all that future, PFFT! Gone.
that's why i believe that there is something beyond this world, i can't fathom the destruction of a conciousness, that something as wonderful as that could implode on itself leaving nothing.

I truly hope that we simply don't cease to exist, and hope hes in a better place or being reborn somewhere else.