A tradition..gone :(

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
CTV.CA sad

Mtl. police declare war on jaywalking tradition
Updated Sun. May. 7 2006 11:30 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

Police in Montreal are cracking down on what some refer to as part of Montreal culture -- jaywalking.

Although jaywalking occurs across Canada, Montreal natives are especially notorious for dangerously criss-crossing busy city streets and treating red lights as just a loose guideline.

Young, old and even mothers pushing strollers will scurry across Montreal streets ducking cars.

With road accidents claiming the lives of 10 pedestrians in Montreal since January, police have launched a five-year campaign to combat the longstanding tradition.

Yet most residents don't see a problem with the practice.

"Most of the time I don't really watch," a female jaywalker told CTV.

"As long as you can look across the streets and see there's no cars coming, I don't really see a problem with it," another woman said.

Even some tourists who visit to Montreal adopt the city's relaxed attitude about obeying traffic signals. One New Yorker told CTV that while she doesn't jaywalk at home, she felt comfortable doing it in Montreal.

"I would never jaywalk in New York because they would run me down there, but I feel somewhat safer here," she said.

However, police want to raise awareness about the deadly outcomes that jaywalking can have.

According to police, at least half of the 2006 pedestrian deaths were caused when the pedestrians disobeyed traffic signals.

"We are taking it more and more seriously because of the number of deaths in Montreal," Sgt. Gerald McGrath told CTV.

To curb the practice, police officers are posted on several downtown street corners, handing out $37 fines for crossing the street illegally.

Despite the officers' visible presence, many Montreal pedestrians are still ignoring the rules of the road.

"It's quite bad on the island of Montreal, and we're not going to change it right away -- it's going to take awhile -- but we're trying," McGrath said.

The term jaywalker originates from the United States and can be traced back to 1917.

The word 'jay' has a slang connotation to someone who is stupid, dull or unsophisticated.

There is evidence that rural people who stupidly ignored traffic regulations were referred to as a 'jaywalker' in newly industrialized U.S. cities like Boston during the early 1900s.

With a report from CTV's Genevieve Beauchemin

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
You do realize that, outside of the crosswalk, non-pedestrian traffic has the right of way, right? I'm actually surprised that people think otherwise...

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Gato_Solo said:
You do realize that, outside of the crosswalk, non-pedestrian traffic has the right of way, right? I'm actually surprised that people think otherwise...

In montreal cars ALWAYS have the right of way, many times I was almost hit while the little sign said walk, hence if your gonna get hit at the crosswalk, why walk all the way there

Winky

Aw you Canucks er gonna have to join the rest of U.S. white folks in the
21st century, poor babies!

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Winky said:
Aw you Canucks er gonna have to join the rest of U.S. white folks in the
21st century, poor babies!

Only Montreal is like that, in Edmonton you walk to any corner put a foot out and ALL traffic stops till you cross, here in Barrie, you walk to the corner and wait

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Winky said:
Edmonton sounds kool then
here they drive up on the curb to git cha!

It was bizarre, I almost caused accidents, people STOPPING at crosswalks WTF

was an adjustment period

chcr

Too cute for words
Gato_Solo said:
When I was growing up in NY, the pedestrian always had the right-of-way. I always thought it was stupid (why even bother to have crosswalks) but there it is.

Now, regardless of who has the right of way, let a jaywalker get hit by a car and see where the lawsuit ends up. :shrug:

Uki Chick

chcr said:
Now, regardless of who has the right of way, let a jaywalker get hit by a car and see where the lawsuit ends up. :shrug:

Here it's called no fault insurance. If someone hits you, you can't sue the bastard.

The biggest problem is downtown Montreal. The streets are packed with people and they don't seem to give a damn. They cross where and when they want. If you almost hit them, they give you attitude.

Gato_Solo

chcr said:
When I was growing up in NY, the pedestrian always had the right-of-way. I always thought it was stupid (why even bother to have crosswalks) but there it is.

Not the way I heard it, and I spent some time in NY. The roads are made for vehicular traffic. That BS about the pedestrian always has the right of way was invented just so someone could sue for their own stupidity. I think you'd better recheck those old laws, because I'm sure you'll see the error.

BTW...If you hit a jaywalker, and they sue you, you have the right to countersue for damages to your car and any injury you, yourself, incur due to their negligence...

Professur

The radio stations are issuing warnings every 10 minutes. I'll betcha the MUC cops make their weekly quota within one lunch.

chcr

Too cute for words
Gato_Solo said:
Not the way I heard it, and I spent some time in NY. The roads are made for vehicular traffic. That BS about the pedestrian always has the right of way was invented just so someone could sue for their own stupidity. I think you'd better recheck those old laws, because I'm sure you'll see the error.

You could be right. It was just one of those things that everyone knew, I never saw it written down anywhere (remember though that we are discussing the dim reaches of antiquity :lol: ).

Gato_Solo said:
BTW...If you hit a jaywalker, and they sue you, you have the right to countersue for damages to your car and any injury you, yourself, incur due to their negligence...
Of course you do. I'm just thinking that the idiot generally seems to win these things in America. ;)

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
ooooooooooh! Maybe the scaryass driving is due to the twitching from years of random pedestrians in the street.

Gato_Solo

chcr said:
Of course you do. I'm just thinking that the idiot generally seems to win these things in America. ;)

That all depends upon the judge, and the insurance company involved...

Professur

chcr said:

That's common when you let the idiot vote in the first place.