About time someone does something about it.

Kawaii

Please quote, i don't want my email on some crappy mailing list. (Registration required)

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
AlladinSane said:
Surely the 'Nazi' comparision is overrated, but if we are put in the same boat as 'dangerous' countries, why not?
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A52613-2004Jan3.html

Now AlladinSane. You and I both know how dangerous Brazillian women can be. :brow:

Seriously, though, I believe every country has the right to fingerprint and/or photograph anybody coming to visit. Even Canada ( ;) ). Dangerous or not, there is a security need for all countries to do what we've proposed. Not just 'dangerous' country aliens, but all aliens. Once you leave the country, however, all that should be surrendered to you, as it is not necessary to keep such files.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Leslie said:
it's not immigrants...it's TRAVELERS

Any person entering your country that is not a citizen there is an immigrant. THey are not necessarily emigrating though.

Squiggy

ThunderDick
:confused: immigrant;

1. A person who leaves one country to settle permanently in another.
2. A plant or animal that establishes itself in an area where it previously did not exist.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
intransitive senses : to enter and usually become established; especially : to come into a country of which one is not a native for permanent residence

You just can't not fight me can you ;)

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
:p

Then answer my unasked query...what is a foreign traveler called (beside tourist)?

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
something is wrong with "foreign traveller"?
a "person travelling on a visa" perhaps?

aaaaaaanyhoo...your govt's new rule is apparently everyone from a country who does have to show a visa on entry must be photographed and fingerprinted. Canadians are exempted, but say someone from Brazil living in Canada would be affected.

Camelyn

Gonz said:
:p

Then answer my unasked query...what is a foreign traveler called (beside tourist)?

Migrant

1 - One that moves from one region to another by chance, instinct, or plan.
2 -An itinerant worker who travels from one area to another in search of work

:shrug:

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
A Brazilian living in Canada is still a Brazilian. :shrug:

I have no problems with the new policy & see no problems should I encounter it elsewhere. Seems to make sense actually.

unclehobart

emigrate-leaving a country for good
immigrate- enter a country for good
...otherwise its just a temp resident, resident alien, or tourist.

If youre asking me to weigh in on the rest...

Governments should and have the right to lay any manner of entry restriction they wish. If such restrictions become too burdensome, that country will see a marked dropoff in entrants across all walks of life and see a corresponding drop in the excellent members of humanity as well as the bad ones. It will eventually cause its own leveling. If it is too harsh, it will be lifted in time. Hard restrictions are their own punishments in and of themselves. Noone is forced to travel to other countries... so putting up with another countries entry hassles are purely by choice. I've never heard of civil rights protections extending across foreign borders. New country, new rules.

Someone born in Brazil that became a resident alien of Canada and evntually a nationalized citizen? That one is a bit fuzzy in my eyes. I think that so long as the immigration happend before say the age of 12 then I would be cool in calling the individual a Canadian. Anything past that and you start to deal with ever increasing level of old national identity and split loyalties. There are no cut and dried answers and no real way to play group A one way and group B another way. Either make it all a hassle or lighten up.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Thanks...I was just looking for a better term for tourist from somewhere else, I know it's out there. Give me a cigarette & all will be well, all will be well, all manner of thigs will be well.

Bungi

Gonz said:
Thanks...I was just looking for a better term for tourist from somewhere else, I know it's out there. Give me a cigarette & all will be well, all will be well, all manner of thigs will be well.

Except your health ;)