About time someone does something about it.

chcr

Too cute for words
Governments should and have the right to lay any manner of entry restriction they wish. If such restrictions become too burdensome, that country will see a marked dropoff in entrants across all walks of life and see a corresponding drop in the excellent members of humanity as well as the bad ones.

A lot of governments do similar stuff already, don't they? Ever been to Israel, for example?

Oh, and I prefer "resident alien," at least until the old electronic thumb starts beeping again.

AlphaTroll

emigrate-leaving a country for good
immigrate- enter a country for good
...otherwise its just a temp resident, resident alien, or tourist.

Is it still just a tourist if you visit a country on a working holiday visa? After all, your not a temp resident (Visa procedures are different) and not an illegal alien, yet your purpose for visisting goes beyond simply being a tourist?

Just wondering, not that it makes much of a difference to my life really.

AlladinSane

Kawaii said:
Please quote, i don't want my email on some crappy mailing list. (Registration required)
Huh? It doesn't require me membership. Just some statistical information. You don't have to provide your mail address.

Rose

I'm all for fingerprinting everyone that enters the US borders. Hell, or leaves for that matter. Legal. illegal. Tourists. Residents. Aliens. Immigrants. Americans. everyone

MrBishop

I guess that I can look forward to a small war next time that I fly into the USa from Canada, with my family.

My wife holds and uses a Spanish passport and my son is listed on it. When this new American law comes into effect, I can be called to calm down my wife and wipe the ink from my son's little fingers.

I'm wondering if we'll get doubles of the pictures taken? We're always looking for nice pics to add to our wall.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
I'm of the opinion that if you want to travel anywhere to another country, you should be willing to be fingerprinted and/or have your pic taken. Whether it's me as an American flying to Zimbabwe, or a Brit flying here to the US. We have to have some control of our borders, or there may as well not be borders.

chcr

Too cute for words
It's just one of the results of 9/11. It's unfortunate but completely understandable.

AlladinSane

MrBishop said:
My wife holds and uses a Spanish passport and my son is listed on it. When this new American law comes into effect, I can be called to calm down my wife and wipe the ink from my son's little fingers.
Wasn't Spain one of the european countries granted free entry in US?

Squiggy

ThunderDick
It seems everyone missed the point Noite was trying to make. We (US collective) don't like that Brazil is doing the same to us...We make rules and then tell other countries they're wrong for making the same rule...Typically American of us. Eh?

PT

Nah, I got the point, and I don't agree with the US sentiment that we shouldn't have to. My statement above applies to ALL people, no matter where they are from or where they are going. We especially should understand when other countries want to fingerprint us or have our photo taken, well, we SHOULD anyway.

Squiggy

ThunderDick
PuterTutor said:
Nah, I got the point, and I don't agree with the US sentiment that we shouldn't have to. My statement above applies to ALL people, no matter where they are from or where they are going. We especially should understand when other countries want to fingerprint us or have our photo taken, well, we SHOULD anyway.

But the concern runs to suddenly having American citizens detained in foriegn countries And denied all rights....just as we are holding people under the terrorist laws....

MrBishop

AlladinSane said:
Wasn't Spain one of the european countries granted free entry in US?

I'm not entirely sure, though I do remember that the Basques were listed in Bush's list of terrorists, and my wife's family is Basque.
That's bound to make some trouble...perhaps I can get her to use her Canadian passport wneh we go south next time.

PT

Squiggy said:
But the concern runs to suddenly having American citizens detained in foriegn countries And denied all rights....just as we are holding people under the terrorist laws....

Yep, I agree, sucks to have to play by the rules we set up, huh?