Adventures in Rural Quebec

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Mirlyn said:
Now, about that strip club....is it a real dive or does the sign do it justice? :D

not a dive, not a super classy place either, definate middle of the road, cheap beer, semi-attractive women, and great food........

not that I have ever been there

Oz

paul_valaru said:
not a dive, not a super classy place either, definate middle of the road, cheap beer, semi-attractive women, and great food........

Sounds perfect :swing:

Mirlyn

paul_valaru said:

not that I have ever been there
So how does, say, tonight around 8pm sound to you? :D

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Mirlyn said:
So how does, say, tonight around 8pm sound to you? :D

wait till wednesday, they have a free buffet on wednesdays

uhmm to clarify, all you can eat FOOD

just food

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Well I can't say FOR SURE about the signs...although i thought on my last trip through they were all in french (like the highway signs would say 20 oustm instead of 20 east...i dunno if that is proper french...and I am pretty sure the highway through MOntreal is #20...but you get the idea anyway). i CAN however vouch that not all of the police officers on the TransCanada in Quebec can speak english...my mom got pulled over and it went a little somethign like this

Bitch of an officer: "This nine zero, you one two zero"
Mom: "I'm sorry I thought it was one hundred"
B.O.A.O: "Cards"
*mom hands her licence and registration*
*B.O.A.O. walks back to her car*
*B.O.A.O. comes back with ticket in hand and hands to mom*
B.O.A.O. "Mail, here"
*B.O.A.O. points to address and walks away*
*mom drives away with many an unclean word and an order to me to check if there are any errors on the ticket cause if there are she doesn't have to pay it*

She had to pay it...and I am scared to bring it up around her cause it starts her in on the "Cops on the TransCanada should be bilingual across the country" rant...which I agree with but have heard one to many times.

Camelyn

Nixy said:
She had to pay it...and I am scared to bring it up around her cause it starts her in on the "Cops on the TransCanada should be bilingual across the country" rant...which I agree with but have heard one to many times.

Well....not to start a language debate (though as a Quebecer, I think I am culturally conditioned and trained from birth to do just that ;) ), but what are the odds, do you think, of a French Canadian being spoken to in french while being giving a speeding ticket in say....Ontario, or Alberta?

Gotta make it bendy both ways, if you are gonna ask for change. Just food for thought :D

Edited to add:

West = Ouest
East = Est
South = Sud
North = Nord

Not to difficult to figure out really. And now posted here, for easy reference :D

A.B.Normal

I know most of the RCMP who I've had dealings with locally have strong French accents and I'm about as far ouest as your gonna get.I think the prob is gonna be when dealing with city police though.

Nix if your going to be traveling through a province that is known for its french leanings ,its best to assume they are gonna be speaking french.If you were traveling in the southern United States you wouldn't expect english would you ."yall hav a gud dya now yhere" :winkkiss:

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Camelyn said:
Well....not to start a language debate (though as a Quebecer, I think I am culturally conditioned and trained from birth to do just that ;) ), but what are the odds, do you think, of a French Canadian being spoken to in french while being giving a speeding ticket in say....Ontario, or Alberta?

Gotta make it bendy both ways, if you are gonna ask for change. Just food for thought :D

I agree...that is why it's the "All police on the transcanada should be bilingual" rant...the whole transcanada...all the way across this great country of ours...should be policed by bilingual officers.

Oz

Camelyn said:
Edited to add:

West = Ouest
East = Est
South = Sud
North = Nord

*blinks*

Geez, this is gettin' more and more complicated :(

I thought the only thing I had to worry about was the odd angry polar bear, the occasional rampant moose and Cam's attack beaver :mope:

Camelyn

Nixy said:
I agree...that is why it's the "All police on the transcanada should be bilingual" rant...the whole transcanada...all the way across this great country of ours...should be policed by bilingual officers.

And um, since we are making a wish-list...can we make it a requirement that they be hot mens in uniform, and have at the most a reasonable amount of facial hair? :D

Just a suggestion :D

*prepares to lobby parliment*

Professur

Nixy said:
You get all the ones west of Ottawa to talk french, and I'll have the ammo needed to get the frenchies here talking bloke.

Camelyn

Oz said:
I thought the only thing I had to worry about was the odd angry polar bear, the occasional rampant moose and Cam's attack beaver :mope:

Aw don't worry your pretty little foreign head about it hun. I am quite sure there will be any number of young, easily impressionable, french canadian women more than willing to help the poor and charmingly befuddled brit get his blond self around town ;)

Oz said:
How do ya stop yaself from laughing when a frenchman tries to arrest ya?

*Waits for punch line.....*

Oz

Camelyn said:
Aw don't worry your pretty little foreign head about it hun. I am quite sure there will be any number of young, easily impressionable, french canadian women more than willing to help the poor and charmingly befuddled brit get his blond self around town ;)

That's ok then :)

*Waits for punch line.....*

Erm....there ain't one (at least, not from me) it was a serious question :D

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Camelyn said:
I spent the day yesterday at a BBQ hosted by a friend of a friend. She lives on a small family farm in Ormstown Quebec. What makes this farm unique is that the property sits off an old fur trading trail, and the house they live in is one of the many trading posts that were scattered along this trail.

I went to her BBQ last year, and I promised myself if I were invited again, I would bring my camera to at least try to record the feeling of history, peace and stories on the wind that I get in this place tucked away almost untouched, in a quiet corner of my province.

The Trading Post

Notes:
- The first 4 pictures are my appartment building and its surroundings, and the 5th picture is a bridge we crossed to get to Ormstown.
- The last picture is for Oz and Mirlyn. See? Told ya thee was a strip club right behind my house ;)

So all I have to do is find that club, eh? :brow:

Beautiful pics, BTW. Made my day because all I can see, for miles in every direction, is sand.

Sharky

That looks like a really nice place, Camelyn! :cool:

I have only two comments:

1. Nice hostas. (The plant in front of the grindstone)

2. The goats really need a haircut. :lloyd: