Al Gore III

However, since the Prius would no longer be in an inertial frame of reference, special relativity must be accounted for. Since we assume the speed as measured from the Prius, the /\Tprius wouldn't equal /\Tearth, it would be /\Tearth divided by the square root of 1 - v^2/c^2

v would then be the orbital velocity of the space shuttle, which can easily be derived from
GMm/r^2 = mv^2,
so orbital v = square root of GM/r^2
so our time elapsed in the prius is equal to the time elapsed on earth divided by the square root of 1 - GM/(r^2)(c^2)

Now all we need to do is plug in 6.67e-11 in for G, 3e8 in for C, 6.8e6 for R, and 6e24 for M

so we can find that in the time it took for 1 second to pass in the Prius, 1.00000000000000005 seconds elasped on Earth. Therefore, all values of relative velocity will have to be adjusted.

summaryofequations.jpg

Look... If you shoved a Prius out of the space shuttle anywhere near the atmosphere it would either instantly be rendered into chaff or burn to a crisp fairly quickly from the friction. It would no longer be a Prius 5 seconds after it was ejected from the nest.

Look... If you shoved a Prius out of the space shuttle anywhere near the atmosphere it would either instantly be rendered into chaff or burn to a crisp fairly quickly from the friction. It would no longer be a Prius 5 seconds after it was ejected from the nest.

Yeah, but until then it'd be haulin' ass.

I suspect that the -50G deceleration before burnup would make it a seriously uncool ride for anyone inside of it... unless they were jamming to Deep Purple at the time.

Actually.. anyone know a formula for reentry? Does the pull of gravity win out over the resistance of air friction? Is it an angular/mass/surface area thingy?

Man I love this place.

From some former pols idiot offspring doing stupid stuff to orbital deceleration formula of a Prius.

Its not like were going to talk about a former VPs son getting caught with drugs. That shit was a tired old subject around the time of Amy Carter.

Add to it the fact that the kid isn't the pol unless you're listening to Airhead America, as I did today-they couldn't stop bashing GWs twins

I suspect that the -50G deceleration before burnup would make it a seriously uncool ride for anyone inside of it... unless they were jamming to Deep Purple at the time.

Nobody gonna take my car
I'm gonna race it to the ground
Nobody gonna beat my car
It's gonna break the speed of sound
Oooh it's a killing machine
It's got everything
Like a driving power big fat tyres
and everything

I love it and I need it
I bleed it yeah it's a wild hurricane
Alright hold tight
I'm a highway star

I'm pretty sure you wouldn't see 50G of deceleration though. That would leave you with the rough consistency of strawberry jam.

The orbiter's velocity on orbit is approximately 17,322 statute miles per hour.
The deorbit maneuver decreases this velocity approximately 205 mph for reentry.

However, since the Prius would no longer be in an inertial frame of reference, special relativity must be accounted for. Since we assume the speed as measured from the Prius, the /\Tprius wouldn't equal /\Tearth, it would be /\Tearth divided by the square root of 1 - v^2/c^2

v would then be the orbital velocity of the space shuttle, which can easily be derived from
GMm/r^2 = mv^2,
so orbital v = square root of GM/r^2
so our time elapsed in the prius is equal to the time elapsed on earth divided by the square root of 1 - GM/(r^2)(c^2)

Now all we need to do is plug in 6.67e-11 in for G, 3e8 in for C, 6.8e6 for R, and 6e24 for M

so we can find that in the time it took for 1 second to pass in the Prius, 1.00000000000000005 seconds elasped on Earth. Therefore, all values of relative velocity will have to be adjusted.

For all intents and purposes, the initial velocity of the Prius hanging from the helicopter would be zero...unless the helicopter is in a state of motion in any direction. At a constant rate of falling (9.8m/s^2), how high would the helicopter have to be for the Prius to reach 100MPH (160KPH). This does not take into account any aerodynamics that may be present in the Prius, either, as every car has some lifting characteristics due to the body shape...

Well, yes, if you dropped it from a helicopter, one not moving, it would be in an inertial frame of reference in relation to the surface of the earth.

It's simple dimensional analysis to find the time to hit 100mph, without calculating air resistance (which is variable based on velocity, which I don't know the equation for)

So, basically, we do 100 mi/hr x 1.6km/1mi x 1hr/3600sec x 1000m/1km = 44.4m/s
and since we know that velocity is simply the integral of acceleration over each delta T
v = ⌡adt
and since our acceleration remains constant
v = a⌡dt
and since ⌡dx is x by definition
v = at
44.4 = 9.8t
t = 4.5 seconds

unc, friction is a nonconservative force, so it's not like air resistance is going to accelerate it away from the earth, it's just going to counteract gravity to reduce the downward acceleration. That is, of course, assuming that the Prius simply falls straight down without creating any lift by way of Bernoulli's Principle.

I think the darn thing would become superheated plasma fragments after 5 seconds anyway... rendering all formulae null and void.

a coupla tiles knocked off by a chunk of foam
and most of the shuttle was turned to plasma
not one scrap of a Prius would make it to earth

a coupla tiles knocked off by a chunk of foam
and most of the shuttle was turned to plasma
not one scrap of a Prius would make it to earth

Lowest bid on a goverment contract vs automobile built to exacting standards and having to meet the governments standards for crashworthiness and consumer protection...interesting dilemma...

Back