Alert

Jeslek

Banned
So, Alert is in Nunavit, just north of Ellismere Island I think. It is virtually on top of the North Pole. It is a small base run by the military and there is about 70 people working there full time. I have the opportunity to work there for four months... Think I should consider it? I mean, it sounds neato and all that... No telephones though (except for a microwave link), no satellite TV, no Internet, no email, no mail, ... and it gets a little cold there (-10 or so in the summer), not to mention there is either 24 hour day light in the summer or 24 hour nights in the winter. :D

Boring stuff I think... Taking air samples, measuring element composition, setting up labs, networks, instruments, etc. Pretty much a wide variety of tasks.

i would make sure you know what you'd be doing, and then i'd decide.
if the work is interesting, i'd say go for it if you don't get behind too much on your study.
it is most likely a once in a lifetime opportunity :)

:thumbup:

i'd say go for it, unless there are certain things that must keep you where you are now...if not, enjoy life as much as you can :)
i'd go without hesitating if the job was allright :)

Let's see, you get paid. You have nowhere to spend the money. They probably figure room and board as part of the pay. I'd do it. If you can bring your computer and satelite dish. (I'm not a barbarian after all.)

PuterTutor said:
Let's see, you get paid. You have nowhere to spend the money. They probably figure room and board as part of the pay. I'd do it. If you can bring your computer and satelite dish. (I'm not a barbarian after all.)
Computer, yes. Satellite dish? Erm... there are no satellites covering the north pole ;)

Go for it....but ask if it's ok to kiss other guys or if that's frowned upon.

Q said:
From what my roommate tells me, and he worked there last semester, there were only 3 women among 70 men, and none of them were available. :( I guess kissing guys would be the only thing to do. lol.

Q said:

that would probably be a consideration, are you going to be stuck in an igloo with 4 guys that haven't seen a woman in 12 years? They might think you're kinda cute.

Jerrek said:
Computer, yes. Satellite dish? Erm... there are no satellites covering the north pole

Then DirecTv lied to me. They said i could take my dish with me wherever I wanted to move. I think I'm gonna have to give them a call. :hmm:

Bwhaha... I've got DishNet but unfortunately there is no satellite coverage up there. Even telephones are restricted. You can only communicate via microwave link to some town which is far enough south to reach a satellite which will complete the call. Ugh... fun huh?

are you going to be stuck in an igloo with 4 guys that haven't seen a woman in 12 years?
I don't think it is an igloo... But then, they say there are 4 bars for 70 people.

They might think you're kinda cute.
lol. NO.

Back