allergies experts, unc perhaps?

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
I don't think I've ever mentioned before that I'm allergic to most fruits. Today I don't know why the subject is been bugging me. The solution I found to date is to not eat them at all. But the kick is that if the fruit is cooked I get no allergy symptoms. The only fruits I can eat are citrics.

The common symptoms I get are itchy throat, ears and palate and with some fruits like mango or apple I get nausea too.

Is there such thing as fruit allergy? or perhaps it is related to some fertilizer or pesticide?

You can be allergic to fruit although usually it is the citrus that is the culprit. have you tried organic fruits to test your theory on fertilizer or pesticide?
Cooking the fruit may neutralize the enzyme that you are allergic too....that might be why you are not experiencing symptoms from cooked fruit.

If you are allergic to foods in the way that I am allergic to foods then it is the miniscule protein DNA is what your body is reacting from. The corn protein is in the yellow shell. In theory I could eat the white inner pulp. A good many fruits and vegetables concentrate their proteins in the skin and the seeds. If you are reacting from pears, apples, and other types of fruit where it is normal to eat the skin, you can try peeling them and see if your reactions are still as severe. You may not react to citrus because it is not normal to eat the peel. Cooking them might be breaking down the DNA to an small level that your body can process. Perhaps it is also an enzyme present in the raw natural sugar state of the fruit that is also broken down in cooking(as tonks mentioned). A third (quite rare) possibility is that you might also be reacting to very specific and minute traces of natural molds that are on the raw state of 99.99% of raw fruits that are easily destroyed in cooking. I'll do some looking around.

It would help if you could describe how the allergy manifests itself.
Fevers? Blood pressure? headaches? gas? nausea? painful bowels? dandruff? thirst?

I always get itchy ears, throat and palate and with some other fruits nausea too.

From raw vegetables I get the same symptoms except with onion.

How soon after you eat the problematic foods do the symptoms appear?

The itchy part sometimes kicks in while eating, it is usually really fast. It lasts for a good 10 or 20 minutes.

Nausea takes more time, usually 5 minutes after I finish eating the food. It takes from 5 to 20 minutes to go away.

Which vegtables?

I dare say most of them except onion.

The itchy part sometimes kicks in while eating, it is usually really fast. It lasts for a good 10 or 20 minutes.

Nausea takes more time, usually 5 minutes after I finish eating the food. It takes from 5 to 20 minutes to go away.

I dare say most of them except onion.

I was getting at which category you were putting things like tomatoes, zuchinni, etc in

Never heard of zuchinni, but tomatoes do cause the same reactions.

With vegetables I mean more like potatoes, lettuce, carrots, calabacita (spanish), jicama, etc.

Never heard of zuchinni, but tomatoes do cause the same reactions.

With vegetables I mean more like potatoes, lettuce, carrots, calabacita (spanish), jicama, etc.

OK, cause tomato is a fruit :D

You've never heard of zuchinni?! I may not be spelling it correctly...but I guess it conveys the idea.

Sounds to me like it could be a fertalizer. because onions, potatoes, and carrots are underground vegies or tubors. Do some research and see if you can find if they are grown in the same area because those three like the basic type of soil.. If they are then it could be like you suspect, either ferilizer or herbiside...

Sounds to me like it could be a fertalizer. because onions, potatoes, and carrots are underground vegies or tubors. Do some research and see if you can find if they are grown in the same area because those three like the basic type of soil.. If they are then it could be like you suspect, either ferilizer or herbiside...

Except he doesn't get a reaction from onions...

And then onions and garlic don't have many pests that like to munch on them...So that would bring up the question of pesticides if the onions are grown in the same area as the carrots or spuds...

Hey Luis, do you get any reaction from garlic?

And then onions and garlic don't have many pests that like to munch on them...So that would bring up the question of pesticides if the onions are grown in the same area as the carrots or spuds...

Hey Luis, do you get any reaction from garlic?

Do people eat RAW garlic? ICK

A picture sez a thousand words...

images

I don't think I've ever eaten raw garlic. Looks like zuchinni is what we call calabacita.

Back