and so it starts...

Dave

went to do a simple project. just wanted to change the faucets in the sinks.
first the pipes werent compatable with the new faucets so had to get some flex pipe with different size flanges (or whatever they are called).
then couldnt get the old faucets off the kitchen sink. looks like they used lock-tite or something similar, plus the corrosion/lime buildup on the nuts made it nearly impossible to take the faucet off. (the house is about 15-20 years old. the stuff is original equiptment.)
well the sink is old, so off i go to buy a new sink.
now i'm looking at the shiny new sink on that old beat-up countertop.
not to mention how beatup the cabinets look.
lets not even mention the floor.
i'm sensing a lot of OT real soon....

I anxiously await an update as to how you got the fixtures removed...because I got the same deal going on here! The blithering idiots who owned this house before us installed the bathroom fixtures with purple primer...impossible to remove without cutting I am afraid. The threads on the tub/shower knob are stripping out, and I really don't want to have to replace the whole damn line just to change it.

couldnt get the fixtures removed from the kitchen sink. it was easier to just go buy a new sink.
did notice a small leak last night under the sink. i might have the shut-off valves and connections replaced to prevent any potential problems.
still have to work on the bathroom sinks. i'll let you know how that goes.

Spot said:
(or whatever they are called).
See right there is where it would've been a good idea to call a plumber :D

Mind you, I don't take my own advice...and try to do far too much myself :D

no no no. you dont understand how things work.
when i go to change the washer, i'll take the knob off only to realize too late that i forgot to shut the water off. i'd have to quickly pull everything out from under the sink and then twist the shut-off valve so hard that i'd snap it off. then i'd have to excavate a large pile of stuff out of the closet to get to the crawl space where the water shut-off valve is where i would invariably lacerate my arm on an unknown sharp object.
by this time, the kitchen would be flooded and i'd be bleeding profusely. the drop ceiling would be soaked and falling apart, the counters would eventually warp, mold would grow under the linoleum flooring and i'd have to go to work and explain how i needed several sutures to my arm.
trust me. this is the easier way.

Well, that's the way you're supposed to do it. That way, your missus will never ever ask you to move off the couch again.

MrBishop said:
See right there is where it would've been a good idea to call a plumber :D

Mind you, I don't take my own advice...and try to do far too much myself :D
cant get a plumber out to do small jobs like this.
do have one of those "mr fix-it" types coming out to do the other 2 sinks.
before i break something else.

Spot said:
no no no. you dont understand how things work.
when i go to change the washer, i'll take the knob off only to realize too late that i forgot to shut the water off. i'd have to quickly pull everything out from under the sink and then twist the shut-off valve so hard that i'd snap it off. then i'd have to excavate a large pile of stuff out of the closet to get to the crawl space where the water shut-off valve is where i would invariably lacerate my arm on an unknown sharp object.
by this time, the kitchen would be flooded and i'd be bleeding profusely. the drop ceiling would be soaked and falling apart, the counters would eventually warp, mold would grow under the linoleum flooring and i'd have to go to work and explain how i needed several sutures to my arm.
trust me. this is the easier way.

Ahh...a kindred spirit! :sadhug:

Professur said:
Well, that's the way you're supposed to do it. That way, your missus will never ever ask you to move off the couch again.

I'm sure you're missus let's you sit on the couch. She probably has you moving your butt to do plenty.

Sadly, I don't know when to shut up. Made the comment about half retarded high school dropouts being better paid as plumbers, etc. than I am as a Tech.

Professur said:
Sadly, I don't know when to shut up. Made the comment about half retarded high school dropouts being better paid as plumbers, etc. than I am as a Tech.

You say that, but it's so true. It's really sad actually. You go to school, work your ass off and then find out someone with less education who gets to show half his hairy ass around is making more money than you are. What a world we are living in.

This is why I let it all collect, and then fixed allll the shit at one time. It's easier if you go into it EXPECTING to get reamed.

Just had a plumber over here myself, had 2 leaky drains, both on the first floor. I could've done the bathroom sink one myself as the trap just needed to be replaced (slow drip leak at one of the seams, or whatever it's called where the pipes join and there was some kind of cement-like adhesive that was breaking apart at the site of the leak), but I had no chance on the kitchen sink. It's a double sink where the two drains join before the trap, but the part that was leaking was of course an unneccessary part (just like our heater during a blizzard, stupid humidifier). A third tube coming from the dishwasher, which has not been run in nearly 15 years, which connected to the drain as a rubber tube had torn, and the slowness of the drain caused the overflow to go out the hole in that tube. So, since I had to get the plumber out for that anyways, I had him take care of the bathroom sink too. That's another easy way to get things done: when something small goes wrong, wait till something bigger goes wrong along the same lines and get them both fixed at once.

!#$(&^+(*%$!

The one thing not replaced in the kitchen is the frig, so now, of course, the icemaker line is leaking at the frig fitting.

Screw it. I'm gonna go buy some ice trays.

Back