Andrea Yates acquitted

brow.gif

There's a state hospital in Atascadero. They just opened another one in Coalinga, and before that, all the sexually violent predators got shipped to Atascadero. Right by the edge of the hospital grounds are several apartment complexes totaling, I'd guess, at least 1,000 apartments. What do you get when you have 1,000 apartments? Yes, lots of young, lower-income families, with lots and lots of kids. So there are thousands of kids living right next to a facility that houses sexually violent predators... and has had the occasional escape. The hospital was built in 1954 and the apartments were built in the 1970s and early 1980s. I question the wisdom of putting a shitload of apartments, and thus a shitload of kids, next to a place that SVPs are kept.

It's almost like there needs to be another option...What do we have now?
Guilty
Not Guilty
Not guilty by reason of insanity
how about
"Nutz and not fit for society".
No prision, but no chance for reintroduction into society.
The way I understand it, she could be released if/when her doctors convince the judge she's no longer a threat. The new option would eliminate the possibility.

She just claims to be too crazy to stand trial or be held accountable for her actions. She never claimed to be too crazy for society. How convenient.

Come to think of it, there's probably a boatload of people walking around who fit that criteria...

Meanwhile, her kids are still dead.

ash r said:
i dont think she can truly be made to 100% understand what she did.

I think she'll be able to comprehend it pretty well in the time between when the platform drops and her neck snaps.

Is there anyone who feels that it is acceptable to murder children? Is there anyone who feels that people who murder children should not be immediately executed? NO!

Perhaps someone needs to hold her under water until she passes out, revive her and then let her live the rest of her pathetic life with the knowledge of what she put each child through. No matter how *sick* she is, that's gonna permeate her brain for the rest of her breathing days.

Also - if they believe she suffered from postpartum depression - well - shit, how long has it been since she had kids? Her postpartum is over!!! Throw her in with general population - with all the other killers.

Makes me sick.

Spirit said:
Perhaps someone needs to hold her under water until she passes out, revive her and then let her live the rest of her pathetic life with the knowledge of what she put each child through. No matter how *sick* she is, that's gonna permeate her brain for the rest of her breathing days.

Also - if they believe she suffered from postpartum depression - well - shit, how long has it been since she had kids? Her postpartum is over!!! Throw her in with general population - with all the other killers.

Makes me sick.
:clap:
I had postpartum 3 times. I never wanted to hurt anyone besides myself.
It's postpartum depression not postpartum aggression.

It's interesting, don't you think, that no one ever mentions the husband. He was told by Andrea's therapist (this was court testimony) that another child would be likely to cause a severe psychotic break and make Andrea a danger to herself and others. He evidently still insisted on having another child. Culpability, anyone?

A Harris County jury today acquitted Andrea Yates by reason of insanity on charges she drowned three of her children in a bathtub.

Yates and her attorneys have never disputed that she drowned all five of her children in their Houston-area home in June 2001.

So how many did she drown? *stupid journalists*

She drowned five, but they only charged her for three of them... it's an old trick in case she's acquitted and not found insane; double-jeopardy laws would prevent her from being tried in court again for the same three kids, but they could try her on the other two.

chcr said:
It's interesting, don't you think, that no one ever mentions the husband. He was told by Andrea's therapist (this was court testimony) that another child would be likely to cause a severe psychotic break and make Andrea a danger to herself and others. He evidently still insisted on having another child. Culpability, anyone?

I knew somebody would bring that up. :D Here's a good one for ya'. She wanted another child as well...and likely doesn't mean absolutely...But feel free to blame the husband, though...if it makes you feel better...:rolleyes:

I hold him just as or more culpable than her. The years and years of control and browbeating that got her closer to the position she found herself in in the end. But that's not how legal systems work. It's too bad there's no hell for men like him. Sniveling cowardly sack of shit.

Leslie said:
I hold him just as or more culpable than her

I've heard all kinds of bad things about this guy. They're probaly all true. HOWEVER, he did not hold her hands under water while she freely drowned her children, making him far less culpable.

tonksy said:
:clap:
I had postpartum 3 times. I never wanted to hurt anyone besides myself.
It's postpartum depression not postpartum aggression.
She didn't have "depression" she had "severe postpartum psychosis". There's a big difference between them. She thought she was possessed by Satan, and she thought that by killing her children she was saving them from eternal damnation in hell.

I recall reading a bit about her history. Her husband knew she was bonkers but didn't do anything about it. Neighbors knew something was wrong, but the hubby wanted to keep her this way. He was quite controlling and may have contributed to her mental health decline. He once forced her and the kids at one time to live in a bus for an extended period of time.

IMO, he's partly to blame for the death of the kids.

Back