Anime - Part deux

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Mine too, if I really want to be picky about the quality.

So, with your reasoning, if some of the quality is lost, it's ok to share? Even with DVD's?

In that case, people should delete some help files and images from software installs before sharing them over the net. That should make it legal enough. :beerbang:

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
next question:

i have memorized several songs, and i really mean memorized with all the music, i can play them in my head.

Should i be convicted for piracy? :nuts2:

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
No, taping songs off the radio is VERY illegal.

One girl once called in and requested a song and the DJ asked her what she was up to and she said making a mixed tape and that was the last song she needed. He told her he was gonna pretend he didn't hear that if she promised not to do it anymore cause oit's illegal.

I heard that on the radio, btw.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Disk Jockeys are generally not the smartest people. I don't know if I'd believe that or not.

Mirlyn

Yes it is illegal. The recording of anything copyrighted (includes broadcasts) is illegal without prior written permission.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Nope, you can use them for recording home videos off of smaller videocamera tapes. Also, if you own a copy of something you can make as many copies as you like as long as opnly one copy is in use at a time 9ie. you can tape off a video and use that one if you wanna keep the original somewhere safe to keep it from getting broken or damaged)...

Mirlyn

fury said:
So, umm, the entire VCR industry is now illegal. Yeah. :tardbang:

Yeah, well I'm not sure what I was thinking (doing two things at once), let me rephrase that. Recording with the intent to distribute or rebroadcast is illegal. ;)

Kruz

Mirlyn said:
fury said:

Yeah, well I'm not sure what I was thinking (doing two things at once), let me rephrase that. Recording with the intent to distribute or rebroadcast is illegal. ;)

so if I record songs for my personal use, not for distribution. whats the differance between recording a movie for my collection and recording some music for my collection ?

Janimal

Kruz said:
Mirlyn said:
fury said:

so if I record songs for my personal use, not for distribution. whats the differance between recording a movie for my collection and recording some music for my collection ?

Interesting question. Further, does the broadcast medium make a difference? Would it be legal to record music broadcast over the TV (i.e. satellite music stations), even though it is supposedly illegal to record it off the radio?

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
We really need to get someone who is a lawyer interested in this place...