Another Gun Thread

I guess what hits me most about this story is that in one instant your life can go from just hav'in a great time to sheer and utter tragedy. It reminds me of a story where a grandfather and grandson were using the uncle's new tractor to pull posts. The grandson was 14 and having a great time driving the tractor. Well, they hit a post that would not come out with the lift, so they backed the tractor up and chained it to the main wheel with the intent to pull it out as the grandson drove forward. Instead of the post coming out, the front end of the tractor came up and over killing the grandson who panicked and forgot to push in the clutch. One tiny oversite and your whole life is ruined. I can't imagine how I could live after something like that happened to my son. Dying doesn't scare me, but I am terrfied about living with something like that!!

Well, phrased that way, I`d have to ask ... would your grandson be pointing it at my kid? No, my kid wouldn`t be the first to pick it up. First of all, it`s not his. Second, he knows better than to handle a weapon without an adult supervising. That's the rules he's been taught. Also known as Weapons Safety. Is he going to freak out and cry because he`s in a room with a gun? Nope. Will he shy from picking it up and using it in the event he needs to? I can't answer that honestly anymore than you can. Noone knows how they're going to react in a situation until it happens.

As for coming outta that room screaming for an adult ... he'll definitely be looking for an adult to tell them that there's an unsecured weapon left lying about ... and particularly if an 8 year old has picked it up and started pointing it at others.

Your stock answer has holes big enough to drive a truck through. I suggest looking for a new one.

My grandson would not pick the firearm up and would come out of that roomscreaming for an adult if the other child did pick it up. He has been trained that he is never to be in the presence of a child who is handling a firearm and he is never to take possession of a firearm without the presence of an adult.

So if you have structured your child in the proper handling and safety of firearms then our two kids would simply stand there looking at the firearm without touching it.

Video of my eight-year-old grandson firing a twenty round stick using a .45 cal Thompson submachinegun. Note that the adult supervising has a firm two-handed grip on the firearm; one on the butt and one on the stick magazine.

http://www2.ibackup.com/qmanager/servlet/share?key=sjpue39700 (6 MB file)

Here he is firing ten rounds using a .50 cal M2 "Ma Deuce" humvee mounted belt-fed machinegun.

http://www2.ibackup.com/qmanager/servlet/share?key=lroyj17865 (11 MB file)

Both files are .mov files.

JP, maybe it's been pretty darned long since you were last a kid, but it doesn't matter how much you train 'em to do something a certain way, kids will be kids. The neural linkages related to responsibility haven't been fully cemented yet, and therefore, you can't fully predict the behaviour of a kid in a scenario such as yours.

JP, maybe it's been pretty darned long since you were last a kid, but it doesn't matter how much you train 'em to do something a certain way, kids will be kids. The neural linkages related to responsibility haven't been fully cemented yet, and therefore, you can't fully predict the behaviour of a kid in a scenario such as yours.

I was just thinking that :D

It's basically the same premise as teaching our kids not to do drugs or have protected or no sex - they don't always listen and sometimes they want to show off. I don't have any guns personally but when my husband and I were together he taught our oldest how to handle and care for guns because they went hunting. I respected that a great deal and still feel that kids should still be taught about safety and respect in all things (especially guns if that's a part of your lifestyle) but you can't rely on it 100%. Kids are human and just like us, they do stupid things sometimes.

*piss2*
um, dude, that thing projecting down a little rearward of the barrel is called a "forward pistol grip" and helps make the thing quite controllable. but that ain't a standard uzi. it's a mini or possible a micro uzi. regular ones have plenty of forward surface to grab on to, albeit horizontal.

uzi.jpg

Um... dude did you ever think how awakward it would be having 4 hands on that gun at the same time, even with the grip on it.

*piss2*

Um... dude did you ever think how awakward it would be having 4 hands on that gun at the same time, even with the grip on it.

not really. i've never handled a firearm with four hands, so it really didn't occur to me. though i have employed my massive THIrD LEG to help stabilize things on occasion.

WHAT????

but i'm real familiar with how much recoil and "jump" that 9mm has ummmkay.

not really. i've never handled a firearm with four hands, so it really didn't occur to me. though i have employed my massive THIrD LEG to help stabilize things on occasion.

WHAT????

but i'm real familiar with how much recoil and "jump" that 9mm has ummmkay.

O.K. well it is hard, well it is damn near impossible. i do agree that they should of mounted it, but the kid should never have shot it with a full clip anyway.[*Boomheadshot*]

Back