Anyone know anything about Bermuda?

greenfreak

It's the leader in our honeymoon destination list. We're also considering the Carribean, more specifically the Virgin Islands but I've been told that during June, the heat and humidity can be unbearable.

I've heard that Bahamas can be a little seedy and dirty. One person said she was accosted immediately after getting off the boat to buy drugs or have her hair braided. We have no interest in either. And what she saw of the island didn't impress her.

Rusty is not very keen on going somewhere really hot so we figured Bermuda would be cooler (by at least 5 degrees during summer compared to the Carribean) and it's a shorter trip from here. We could get a direct flight from NY. I'm pricing out airfare and hotels now, we could get an oceanfront room at a nice resort with 3 meals included, unlimited bar drinks, public transportation pass (you can't rent a car on Bermuda), and one watersport included for about $3200. from June 12th until June 17th.

We set aside almost $2000. more than that, so it's sounding pretty good right now. But if anyone's been to Bermuda or knows about places/things to avoid, I'd love to hear it.

I saw the island...from the hangar bay of a navy vessel. We weren't allowed liberty, we just pulled in to take of trash. It looked dreamy.

Anywhere between the 35° latitudes, is gonna be warm in June. The closer to zero, the warmer.

From what I understand...book into a resort & don't leave the grounds & you'll be okay.

I know someone who owns a time share there (Bermuda), I'll see if I can get in touch with her. Never been myself. I've been to St. Thomas twice, but both times in wintertime. If you like light, loose fitting clothing and cool drinks it's pretty nice.

Turns out, Travelocity saves all the fees and taxes till the very end so it looks like you're paying much less than you thought.

To book an all-inclusive resort package for 5 nights plus airfare is $4077., 6 nights is $4675. We can't decide between 5 or 6 nights right now.

Gonz, why do you say not to leave the resort? Do you know something about Bermuda specifically or are you just saying in general? Because we plan to leave the resort, at least three out of the 5/6 days.

Sorry Tonks but I'll put up lots of pictures when we get back. Then it will *almost* be like being there? :eh:

chcr, that would be wonderful. I really like getting the jist from people who have actually been there, you know? The only option right now is the Grotto Bay Beach Resort. The others we were looking at were too expensive, not available during our week, or too cheesy. If she also knows about good stuff to do, things that are overpriced, places to eat, that would be cool. Currently on our list:

-swimming with the dolphins
-botanical garden
-salt marsh preserve
-farmer's market
-lighthouses
-touristy type shopping for souvenirs
-photos photos photos of anything and everything

[sells man coming]
Why not a mexican resort? Most beaches (except Acapulco) are calm and it is likely you will not run into anyone offering you drugs.

And I would rather recommend the pacific if you come here. Puerto Vallarta, Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo, Puerto Escondido, Mazatlan, or Cabo San Lucas would be nice.

As for the heat, temps reach 37ºC around those dates.

I'll look forward to seeing the pics, Gf...but I doubt it will be like being there myself.
I want to go to Egypt if ever I get a romantic vacation out of the country. I lurv Egypt.

Maybe you could send me a pair of Bermuda shorts direct from Bermuda. :D

I could have told you beforehand that Travelocity is a bunch of ass-fuckers. When I was booking my ticket to Atlanta, they promised me one price then tried to jack up the price midway through the process. Hotwire.com promised me the same price as Travelocity originally promised and they actually gave me the ticket for that price.

In any of the locations you've mentioned, I'd recommend not taking the good camera. Get a decent point-and-shoot and split each day up onto separate memory cards. That way, should someone steal the camera, you're out a hell of a lot less money. Your good camera is recognizable to anyone as being expensive and will therefore attract lots of attention from theives.

Anyone know anything about Bermuda?
I know I don't want no part of the Triangle.
I've been fishing out from Palm Beach, and there's some weird shit out there.
*throws up hex sign*

Seriously though...I'm not leaving the continental US anytime soon.
Too many people disappearing.

Cabo..now there's a vacation.

In general Trish. Most resorts are fantastic but once you leave the grounds, you are, literally & figuratively, in another world.

from what others have told me, there is no need to leave the resort. they, apparently, have everything you may want to do on vacation right there on the grounds. plus, like Gonz implied, its safer in general.

Inkara1 said:
In any of the locations you've mentioned, I'd recommend not taking the good camera. Get a decent point-and-shoot and split each day up onto separate memory cards. That way, should someone steal the camera, you're out a hell of a lot less money. Your good camera is recognizable to anyone as being expensive and will therefore attract lots of attention from theives.

Not only that, but the memory cards and the camera battery are a lot easier to have in your bag if you want to pack away the camera. The Xray machines at TSA will kill your film and your battery pack.

Bermuda
it is the type of grass that grows in my front yard
it is dormant right now...

nalani said:
Not only that, but the memory cards and the camera battery are a lot easier to have in your bag if you want to pack away the camera. The Xray machines at TSA will kill your film and your battery pack.

TSA?

You don't have to put your camera through if you can prove to them that it works...

Spot said:
from what others have told me, there is no need to leave the resort. they, apparently, have everything you may want to do on vacation right there on the grounds. plus, like Gonz implied, its safer in general.

That was the case when we went to the Bahamas. It can be a bit seedy, but the resorts are not. There's no need to leave the grounds unless you want to. We went to the straw market, and while it was definitely different, I never really felt threatened. I wonder if this is a case of things changing on the past 8 years or your friend being a scared-y cat. :p

Thanks everyone for your info & suggestions. We're pretty excited about this part of the planning!

I've never understood how people can spend thousands of dollars to fly out of the country to a tropical locale just to stay in a resort the whole time. You can do that in the US for much less, I don't see the allure. I've heard this about Jamaica and Bahamas, that you're better off staying at the resort and it's not safe even to leave. This is the reason they are not on our list.

The same person who had bad things to say about the Bahamas has also been to Bermuda for a few days and she's bringing my her pictures tomorrow. She said she saw no slum-like areas, rented a scooter and saw almost the entire island. She said that never did she feel unsafe, or have anything stolen (she had a nice digital with her also) and that Bermuda was very clean and everyone very friendly.

Isn't it possible that it's not as bad as everyone assumes? Just because it's a tropical island doesn't mean it's unsafe and seedy, right? Someone give me something optimistic, please. This is my first trip out of the country, my honeymoon, and I want it to be something to look forward to, not worry about. :crying3:

Ever thought about Majorca? I don't know about the price difference but Majorca was beautiful and warm. I doesn't offer alot of "native character", at least Palma de Majorca didn't but everyone speaks english and it's easy to get around.

Don't know much about bermuda so I couldn't help you. I have heard that Riviera Maya is amazing. Know a few people who have gone there and loved it.

Like I said, I wandered in the Bahamas and never felt unsafe. OTOH, wandering around in Jamaica will get you kidnapped.

Back