Anyone know anything about Bermuda?

greenfreak said:
Thanks everyone for your info & suggestions. We're pretty excited about this part of the planning!

I've never understood how people can spend thousands of dollars to fly out of the country to a tropical locale just to stay in a resort the whole time. You can do that in the US for much less, I don't see the allure. I've heard this about Jamaica and Bahamas, that you're better off staying at the resort and it's not safe even to leave. This is the reason they are not on our list.

The same person who had bad things to say about the Bahamas has also been to Bermuda for a few days and she's bringing my her pictures tomorrow. She said she saw no slum-like areas, rented a scooter and saw almost the entire island. She said that never did she feel unsafe, or have anything stolen (she had a nice digital with her also) and that Bermuda was very clean and everyone very friendly.

Isn't it possible that it's not as bad as everyone assumes? Just because it's a tropical island doesn't mean it's unsafe and seedy, right? Someone give me something optimistic, please. This is my first trip out of the country, my honeymoon, and I want it to be something to look forward to, not worry about. :crying3:

I heard some real horror stories about Atlanta, but found it nice and friendly.

I just figure that since I've heard stories of theives in other countries, and don't have much knowledge of what the area is really like, I'd err on the side of safety and not carry $2000 worth of camera equipment on my person. I know that camera means a lot to you and I'd hate to see it get stolen on what's supposed to be the happiest week of your life.

I'd spend very little time at the resort. I love wandering...safe or not. If ya don't leave the hotel, go to Ft Meyers. 1/3 the cost & no vaccinations needed.

Trish,

From everything I know and have read, Bermuda is a cool place to run about outside of 'compounds'. It's a small island of only 80,000~ population that is step-in-step with the English empire. Until the last few decades, crime was virtualy unheard of. Most reside around petty thefts from rental scooters and bikes from tourists... and that is because non-residents cannot rent cars. You just havfe to be willing to tote everything with you.

Temperature shouldn't be an issue as it is relatively north in the Atlantic... pretty much in line with Atlanta and not tucked off sub-Florida.

Nixy said:

Transportation Safety Administration. That's the governm,ent agency in charge of airport security. The people who make you take off your shoes and will often make people take a picture with their camera to prove it's not a bomb (they didn't make me though).

nalani said:
Not only that, but the memory cards and the camera battery are a lot easier to have in your bag if you want to pack away the camera. The Xray machines at TSA will kill your film and your battery pack.

:hmm: Only if it's 800 speed or better. Most films that people use are 200 and 400 speed...perfectly safe going through the X-ray machine. :hmm:

Oh...BTW...don't "push" your film...just a precaution...;)

Just make sure to be real careful getting there, lots of things disappear into the Triangle. I once read a book about it. There was an Air Force flight of ~10 planes in the late 40s that flet into the triangle and waas never seen again, even though all of the equipment was solid. IIRC, there were very strange radio messages then the planes were just gone. It's said that the Triangle has a magnetic field that breaks compasses. Bring a GPS, and don't go out in a plane or boat alone.

Isn't Bermuda where that highschool student disappeared last year??

I heard Bora Bora has next to no residents...just vacationers...you could prolly wander pretty safely there.

Nixy said:
Isn't Bermuda where that highschool student disappeared last year??

I heard Bora Bora has next to no residents...just vacationers...you could prolly wander pretty safely there.
That was Aruba.

I've since found out that I have a safe in my room so I can lock up anything I'm worried about when we're not there. The apartment insurance that I've been looking into will cover anything that might be stolen. And my photographer friends made a good point about carrying the camera and lenses in a backpack or large pocketbook instead of a camera bag. Sure, I don't want it to be stolen but all the equipment I have can be replaced very easily. I'm currently looking into another memory card and if I can hook the camera up to my ipod to transfer the files so we don't run out of space.

I appreciate the alternate suggestions but none of them have the appeal that Bermuda does. I looked into every suggestion but it takes so much less time to fly to Bermuda and we've decided on 6 days, from Monday to Sunday. So we won't lose a whole day traveling. I've heard nothing negative from people who have been there, only positive things.

After the wedding/honeymoon, the main focus will be a house. After that, we can start looking into one vacation a year outside the US. That's when we're really going to go wild. We'll probably go to Japan first. Now that is a long flight!

Sorry GF, Joyce's house (not a time share, boy was I confused) is in Barbados. :shrug: She has been Bermuda recently though, her son says. She'll be home in a week or so, she's supposed to call me then.

You knew it was one of those "B" islands though! :D

Thanks hon, anything she could tell me would be great. We're probably going to book air and hotel this week.

She's originally from Barbados. She's a friend of Dara's really.

Hey, if it's an island in the Atlantic it's close enough, right?

In any case, she's absolutely the kind of person who goes around anywhere like she's a native, so I suspect she may have some out of the ordinary suggestions.

Sounds lovely. Boy, I should start sending Dara presents or something. First with the honey thing and now this.

Sure she doesn't want to post here? ;)

Your apartment insurance may cover it but every claim you make will make your premiums go up, up, up.

Nixy said:
Your apartment insurance may cover it but every claim you make will make your premiums go up, up, up.

Renter's coverage is damn cheap. How much up can it really go?

HomeLAN said:
Renter's coverage is damn cheap. How much up can it really go?

I dunno...most of my knowledge lays with auto insurance and how MANY people around here will pay to fix things out of their own pockets unless it's something huge because it's cheaper than what their premiums would go up for the next year.

Back