Arizona

Gonz said:
Used to be.

WTF??? Single digit humidity must be history now?

JEEZ!!! I live 60 miles from New Orleans, and was stationed in both Corpus Christi and Orlando...glutton for punishment???:banana: :cocktail:

We could use a good rain too. It was a wet spring, but nada in days.

One benefit of living at the mountains is we get a little more rain than even a few miles away. Helps the yard and the garden. Still, it can go weeks without anything significant in the summer.

yeah Gonz the 'heat island' ain't no myth

between the tens of thousands of hetaeras of pavement
and millions of tons of concrete the heat soak means that even
at 22:45 it can still be 100 degrees

and with all the crap that is planted and the daily watering required
to keep the non-native foliage alive in the desert
the humidity is artificially elevated all summer long
(lawd hep ya if you have allergies, which I don’t)

yep this place sucks a good 4.5 months outta the year
but I'll be here until they eviscerate me and roll my remains
into the crematory oven

Mere weeks with no rain? Pfft. Most summers, we go a good 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 months without a drop over here. That's why we have automatic sprinkler systems.

That depends on how much rain we get. In summer 2004, we did have watering restrictions, but winter 04/05 was the wettest in years, so summer '05 wasn't so bad. We had a late rainy season this winter so I don't think we'll get hit with restrictions.

In the drought years of the late 1980s and early 1990s, I was lucky enough to live in Paso Robles, which sits on top of a very large aquifer. Most of the rest of the county was on water rationing at that time.

Right now, I can only use water outdoors 3 days a week, and then not between 10 AM and 4 PM.

Kinda fucks up the ol' sprinker idea.

My sprinklers come on at 6 a.m. every other day for 30 minutes, and it's a rudimentary timer that the hose screws onto. If I had a real sprinkler setup with a real timer, I'd think I could set it for three times a week... but I'm not going to invest the time or money to buy the pop-up gear-drive sprinklers, the pipe, the electric valves, the wiring and the timer, dig up the edges of the lawn and lay the pipe and install all that stuff for a rental.

In any case, the reason we don't get hit with water restrictions every single year is because we're used to seeing no rain for six months at a time, so our water tanks and reservoirs are sized accordingly. The main pipe for the State Water project runs through here too, although none of the towns in north San Luis Obispo County are hooked into it.

Winky said:
yep this place sucks a good 4.5 months outta the year
but I'll be here until they eviscerate me and roll my remains
into the crematory oven
...and you prolly won't even notice the difference. ;)

HomeLAN said:
Right now, I can only use water outdoors 3 days a week, and then not between 10 AM and 4 PM.

Kinda fucks up the ol' sprinker idea.

Why? you shouldn't be watering your grass when the sun is up anyway...burn it right up you will. You should wait til after dinner and your lawn only needs 1/2 inch of water twice a week. Nowhere in your restrictions do I see how it would cramp your watering style.

Nixy said:
Why? you shouldn't be watering your grass when the sun is up anyway...burn it right up you will. You should wait til after dinner and your lawn only needs 1/2 inch of water twice a week. Nowhere in your restrictions do I see how it would cramp your watering style.

Only watering half an inch of water twice a week is a good way to kill a lawn out here. Three times a week is a bare minimum. The sun gets too hot for too long to only water twice a week and expect the grass to stay green.

The real best time to water the grass is early in the morning.

*tries to picture Yoda as a Newfie . hee...hee...
yoda.gif

Back