Atlantic City

Nixy said:
I noticed that in Buffalo...if you're not paying at the pumps you have to go inside and prepay...that's silly. We pump our own gas around here (there are a few full serve stations but not many) and we don't have to prepay inside...we can pump and then go inside and pay. Or if we want to we can pay at the pump :shrug:

To many rednecks around here pumped gas and took off, so now they make you prepay inside and then they will turn the pump on. Plus, if the pump outside for some reason wont take your card, you have to leave it with the cashier and they run it inside. It does get frustarting.:rolleyes:

Oh, and then there's this!

Skimming scam targets gas stations

A computer devise the size of a cigarette lighter can steal your credit card number while you pump gas.

Charles H. Bronson, Florida Agriculture and Consumer Services Commissioner, issued a warning Friday to alert consumers of growing scam in Florida in which thieves intercept the numbers on credit cards being used at gas pumps at primarily large stations.

Thieves attach a "skimming" device to the credit card reader at the pump. There is no interruption in pumping gas or getting a receipt while the skimming device records and stores the unknowing consumer's credit card number for later use. The stolen cards are then downloaded onto a computer and are encoded on counterfeit cards.

The Sarasota, Charlotte and DeSoto county sheriff's offices said they have not received any reports of this happening in the area, though Sarasota County has had similar incidents with the skimming of bank cards at ATMs.

"A person would insert a sleeve in the slot, which would prevent the card from going into the ATM all the way," said Neil Scully, Sarasota County Crime Prevention Officer. "Then they would watch the PIN number being punched in from a distance. They would take the credit card number, steal a hotel room key, and encode the credit card number."

Gas station skimming is so sophisticated, according to Bronson, that authorities have yet to recover any of the devices used in the fraud, though one was recently recovered in California which resembled a large cigarette lighter.

Reports have indicated the fraud has extended to Southwest Florida and stations along interstates and busy highways where large volumes of gas are sold have been targeted.

Bronson's office hasn't received any complaints of the activity, but the Florida Department of Law Enforcement is monitoring the situation and is working with credit card companies and other law enforcement agencies to develop leads to eradicate the scam.

Consumers are advised to try to use a pump closest to the store clerk, where tapping into a credit car reader would be less likely because it could be spotted by store personnel.

Scully also recommended going to a gas station you are familiar with, so you are more likely to notices a change in equipment.

"When you see something different, go ask the cashier," he said. "You'll have to get out of the car, but increases in security always means inconvenience."

Both Bronson and Scully advise people to hold onto their credit card receipts and carefully check their credit card statements to make sure there are no unauthorized charges.

"With the Internet, people can check their statements daily," Scully said.

Scully also suggested credit card holders check their credit report. Once a year, consumers can get a free report. Scully suggests contacting the three big credit reporting services -- Trans Union, Equifax, Experian -- at staggered times so a person could actually get three free credit reports in one year.

Consumers who think they may have been taken by the skimming scam are urged to call their credit card companies immediately and then either Bronson's department at (800) HELP-FLA (800-435-7352) or local law

And this:

Needles on the Underside of Gas Pumps?
My name is Captain Abraham Sands of the Jacksonville, Florida Police Department. I have been asked by state and local authorities to write this email in order to get the word out to car drivers of a very dangerous prank that is occurring in numerous states.

Some person or persons have been affixing hypodermic needles to the underside of gas pump handles. These needles appear to be infected with HIV positive blood. In the Jacksonville area alone there have been 17 cases of people being stuck by these needles over the past five months.

We have verified reports of at least 12 others in various states around the country. It is believed that these may be copycat incidents due to someone reading about the crimes or seeing them reported on the television. At this point no one has been arrested and catching the perpetrator(s) has become our top priority.

Shockingly, of the 17 people who where stuck, eight have tested HIV positive and because of the nature of the disease, the others could test positive in a couple years.

Evidently the consumers go to fill their car with gas, and when picking up the pump handle get stuck with the infected needle. IT IS IMPERATIVE TO CAREFULLY CHECK THE HANDLE of the gas pump each time you use one. LOOK AT EVERY SURFACE YOUR HAND MAY TOUCH, INCLUDING UNDER THE HANDLE.

If you do find a needle affixed to one, immediately contact your local police department so they can collect the evidence.

Claim: Service station customers are getting stuck by HIV-loaded syringes affixed to gas pump handles.

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/mayhem/gaspump.asp

Sorry Mare, but in fact even if it were true you'd be highly unlikely to get HIV that way. It's just not that robust.

As for the other, nothing on snopes.com but:

authorities have yet to recover any of the devices used in the fraud

Bronson's office hasn't received any complaints of the activity

Indicative, wouldn't you say? Could be true but this makes me wonder...

As for the creditcard one...it doesn't surprise me. Around here people are getting their ATM info stolen all the time. They attach a piece to the outside of the slot (apparently it just looks like the slot is not flush to the front of the machine but sticks out a bit) which records your info as the card is fed into the machine. The transaction goes through fine but they then have your info. There are always warnings on the news to use only ATMs that you're used to so you'd reconize if the slot looks funny. I always use my bank's atms the slots always look the same...so I'd know if something was wrong.

Mare said:
It did say this though:

Shockingly, of the 17 people who where stuck, eight have tested HIV positive and because of the nature of the disease, the others could test positive in a couple years.
Umm... if the first part a lie then I suspect that this part is wildly unlikely as well. Don't you?

Mare said:
It did say this though:

the question being ... how many of them would have tested positive .... before being stuck?

It reminds me of that thing where they caught this dude puttin HIV positive blood in the ketchup dispenser at McDonald's. Every one got all up in arms about it....but the idea of contracting AIDs that way is silly. It doesn't do contact with air well, the acid in the tomatoes would degrade it, and for some reason that the virus lived you would have to have a sore or cut in your digestive system to get infected.
I mean, if you are trying to spread some horrific disease like some movie villian you could at least do some research, you know?

Back