Bamboo!

Professur

Oh, please. One winter outside and that sucker's toast. It's got some work to do before it's ready to go against the green monster.

Dave

we've (ok...i've) let the bowls get bone dry and they dont even wilt. we did have to trim one. put it too close to the window and the cold almost killed it overnight.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Spot said:
we've (ok...i've) let the bowls get bone dry and they dont even wilt. we did have to trim one. put it too close to the window and the cold almost killed it overnight.

Yeah, no problem with the dryness for a few days...but I think my rocks were growing slime.

Dave

Nixy said:
Yeah, no problem with the dryness for a few days...but I think my rocks were growing slime.
we get periodic algea buildup on the rocks, but the plant seems to take care of it cause it goes away.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Spot said:
we get periodic algea buildup on the rocks, but the plant seems to take care of it cause it goes away.

Damn your strong bamboo!!

Mine is all yellowed...the stalks and all...it needs to be tossed.

Dave

the one we left by the window got yellowed too, though it was just the leaves. its coming around nicely now.

BlurOfSerenity

betta fish are a pain in the ass... i used to have 8 of them. they're very paticular. not as particular as other fish, i'm sure, but still, very particular. you have to keep them clean and away from drafts and not in direct sunlight... i belonged to an online community for betta owners and people frequently got bitched out for keeping them in planters because that's apparantly bad for them for a whole host of reasons. (mostly, just make sure they have accurate ventilation. a lot of planters, like the vase-and-peace-lily setup, don't have adequate ventilation and a lot of owners of these setups are told that they don't need to clean the water because the plant does it for them... this is simply not true and as a result the fish pretty much suffocate in their own waste)..... also, bettas jump. mine never did, but it's something they can and often do, so make sure their container has some kind of cover or way to keep them in. this too should be such that it allows ventilation. another way in which bettas suck is that it's really, really easy for them to get sick.

on the subject of plants... i love bamboo thingies! i have two in water in a little pitcher thing. i wanted some but didn't want to spend $15 or more for them at the mall, so i got mine at a dollar store. each stalk was $1 and the pitcher was $1, so i have a nice little $3 bamboo setup, that is doing nicely.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Lucky Bamboo isn't really bamboo. I found that out when I got some from the kiddo for *insert whichever special day it was here* and googled it for care info.

Lucky bamboo is a houseplant (I have no idea of the name right now, it's too hot to think) cut to look like bamboo. It needs soil to live any time at all, and it needs room to spread, as the roots tend to grow <-----> <- that way.

tonksy

I've had my lucky bamboo in water for almost 2 years. Maybe we have different things we call lucky bamboo?

tonksy

LOL - When I bought it from the store they were in water so I kept them that way. The cats drink from the ones on the kitchen table and bedroom dresser.