Bamboo!

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Chris bought me some bamboo on the weekend!

I LOVE it!

Anyone else have lucky bamboo??

PrincessLissa

Erik's mom has some and it is rowing really fast. We wern't sure that it would saince nothing grows to fast here...except the weeds in my mom's front yard.

greenfreak

Most bamboo are extremely invasive plants and if given time, will destroy everything in it's path. SNP, if the clump is still small, he should yank it. They don't look very nice once they start taking over either. The only way to keep it contained is to surround the root ball in cement. That stuff is almost indestructable.

Nixy, my boyfriend's parents have one bamboo stalk that is years old and about 5 feet tall, in water. If you pot the "lucky bamboo" in dirt, it will grow faster. But only in water will keep it under control and you won't see much growth.

Water changes are a pain in those kinds of containers though. The rocks will get scummy after a while and you'll have to rinse them. I have an extra spaghetti strainer for just that purpose.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
greenfreak said:
Most bamboo are extremely invasive plants and if given time, will destroy everything in it's path. SNP, if the clump is still small, he should yank it. They don't look very nice once they start taking over either. The only way to keep it contained is to surround the root ball in cement. That stuff is almost indestructable.

Nixy, my boyfriend's parents have one bamboo stalk that is years old and about 5 feet tall, in water. If you pot the "lucky bamboo" in dirt, it will grow faster. But only in water will keep it under control and you won't see much growth.

Water changes are a pain in those kinds of containers though. The rocks will get scummy after a while and you'll have to rinse them. I have an extra spaghetti strainer for just that purpose.

Yeah...mine's just in water and rocks...I don't want it to grow to big or crazy, I just think it's pretty...so I'll leave it where it is and change the water when scumminess ensues...a fish net will be ideal for holding the rocks since there arent' many!

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Inkara1 said:
...and you have to top off the water pretty much every day.

Water level hasn't changed in mine since I got it on Saturday :shrug:

It's in a clear container right on my desk so I am keeping an eye on it

Dave

we've got 2 bamboo plants. a small one on the kitchen window sill and a big clump of em on the coffee table.
one of the few plants that we didnt kill in the first month

tonksy

i've been wanting to pick up some bamboo for the bedroom. it seems to dark for much of anything to grow in there. i regret not buying some in montreal's chinatown because the price was terrific.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
My fiancee keeps a few in the apartment...a few in the store...she's trying to get me to put one in my office (the only thing keeping it out is my TDY's). I liked it at first, but now it's getting annoying. :lloyd:

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
greenfreak said:

He has it in a small area in the woods. He also has transplanted ginseng, golden seal, bloodroot, spearmint, and God above only knows what else down there. He keeps it thinned and cleaned off regularly. The man needs a hobby.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Spot said:
we've got 2 bamboo plants. a small one on the kitchen window sill and a big clump of em on the coffee table.
one of the few plants that we didnt kill in the first month

That's why I got it :D

I've got 2 plants that have been hanging on since the fall but I RARELY remember to water them so I wouldn't get another...I want a Bonsai but I know it would die

Mare

tonksy said:
i've been wanting to pick up some bamboo for the bedroom. it seems to dark for much of anything to grow in there. i regret not buying some in montreal's chinatown because the price was terrific.

Back in jersey I got some bamboo....apartment was dark and dreary, it didn't grow much, just put one of those hallogen lights on it Tonksy...transported the plant down here to FL when we moved, its growing like wildfire!!! Mine is in a clear little vase with broken seashells in it and some pretty whole ones to top it off, have to pretty much water it everyday.
Plants and animals grow bigger here than in NJ, I always say: Damn if I was only born here, Ida layed in the sun topless everyday and maybe my boobs would have grown..... :lol2: :D

I've ALWAYS wanted one of those other chinese plants-correction trees, but they are pretty expensive...What's the name of them again anyone know???

tonksy

bonsai are japanese...and cool.
we have a nightmare of a landscaping excursion coming up. one of the things that i am excited about is that in the place of the overgrown foundation threatening azalea we are most likely going to plant japanese peony trees! cool!

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Bonsai is an art form if I am not mistaken. The little miniature trees and such.

Right? Maybe I'm off my rocker...better google it...