Baseball hero now goat of the year.

Professur

Cubs hero Sammy Sosa was caught with a corked bat. He claims that he mixed up his playing bat and practice bat.

Well, Sammy. If it was only your practice bat, why was the corking hole concealed? Why hide it? How many of your other 500+ homers were corked? You fucking turd.

Source

Sosa said he accidentally pulled out a bat he uses to put on home run displays for fans in batting practice, and swore that he's never done anything illegal

i'll believe him for now. unless they find more corked bats.

They won't. Noone is stupid enough to have two. If you ever need a second one, it's too late to hide the first.

But. If. He's telling the truth, that's still a disgusting admission. That he used a fixed bat for displays to his fans. His fans aren't there to see him cheat. They're there to see him batting. Using a corked bat for that seems to me to be the typical testosterone driven adolecent behaviour that, sadly, americans are world famous for. Not that all, or even most are actually like that. But this will serve to fuel that sterotype even further.

if the fans are there at batting practice, they are probably there to get a ball hit by Sousa. if i was at a batting practice like that, i wouldn't care that the bat was corked, just that i got a baseball.
it wouldn't mean as much as a game ball, but its off the bat of a major league player in a mjor league stadium.

i guess i wouldn't have a problem with a player using a corked bat in practice. If he's out there swatting balls around in practice why not aim for the fences, like spot said, a ball from Sosa is a big deal for fans, even if it isn't a game ball. It's no different than if a pro golfer were to use tour-illegal clubs in his/her personal rounds.

oops

he got caught

Cubs slugger Sammy Sosa found with corked bat in Chicago's 3-2 win over Tampa

The Chicago Cubs' star slugger, 17th on the career home-run list, was ejected in the first inning of Tuesday night's 3-2 win over the Tampa Bay Devil Rays after umpires found cork in his shattered bat. "I use that bat for batting practice," Sosa said. "It's something that I take the blame for. It's a mistake, I know that. I feel sorry. I just apologize to everybody that are embarrassed." Sosa apologized to fans, his teammates and the commissioner of baseball. His bats were confiscated by security personnel.

The Cubs had runners at second and third when Sosa broke his bat with a grounder to second that at first appeared to drive in a run.

But crew chief Tim McClelland gathered with the other three umpires to examine the bat. Cubs manager Dusty Baker came out and the umpires showed the bat to him.

Mark Grudzielanek was sent back to third base, the run was wiped off the board and Sosa was ejected as he stood in the dugout.

Sosa said he hoped fans will believe he didn't intend to use a corked bat.

"That's why I'm here right now, to explain that it was a mistake," he said. "I know that right now, anybody or somebody probably want to think whatever comes to their mind, but you know, I just picked the wrong bat.

"I don't really need to use that. I break so many bats in my life. But when you make a mistake like that, you got to stood up and be there for it. ... It's a mistake and I take the blame for it."

uhoh... :rolleyes:

MLB is going to make a issue of this.......these are the same people who are keeping pete rose out of cooperstown and baseball! Sammy is truely a power hitter and one of the best to ever come down the pike. A corked bat for any who really want to know will only give you 1% more distance. Sammy weither he did or didn't know he grabbed a corked bat is illegal and should be suspended for no more then 3 games at best. Sanctimonius baseball won't do that ....he'll get a 10 or more game suspension. Is it fair?........hell no its not fair the same as keeping one of the best all time ball players out of ball. Bud Selic is a idiot and a very jealous commissioner and is single handed ruining baseball! Same applys here ...So what pete betted on baseball he did his time get over it! Selic has a personal grudge against pete and won't let go of it. I think other hall of famers feel the same way and some are doing something about it.....but if they really wanted to do something .......take their names out of cooperstown till they let pete in! Heres the logic of Bud Selic ....he lets darrel strawberry back in a million times after countless incidences of drug and alcohol abuse rehab after rehab but pete bets on a few games and remember at the time of these so called bets pete was the manager of the reds and was a game in front of the cards with the youngest team in baseball......7 rookies in the starting line up! Plus was in the middle of a 10 game winning streak. So whats the message are we sending to our youth?......its ok to drink and take drugs but don't gamble...what lunacy! Heres another fact.......sammy is a natural hitter and hits HR's with pure power lets look at the other so called power hitters like Barry Bonds........in the league for 20 years ...and at best a nobody just an average player he starts drinking juice (a steroid ) and becomes a power hitter same goes for mark mcquire but sammy is a natural always was and a very fine human being. So we all we see sanctimonus baseball drop the hammer on sammy sosa. Here again....its ok to take juice but if you use a corked bat you'll be in baseball hell for ever! Please give me a break.:headbang:

Professur said:
They won't. Noone is stupid enough to have two. If you ever need a second one, it's too late to hide the first.

But. If. He's telling the truth, that's still a disgusting admission. That he used a fixed bat for displays to his fans. His fans aren't there to see him cheat. They're there to see him batting. Using a corked bat for that seems to me to be the typical testosterone driven adolecent behaviour that, sadly, americans are world famous for. Not that all, or even most are actually like that. But this will serve to fuel that sterotype even further.

Sammy Sosa is from the Dominican Republic. ;)

I can't understand why people find this more important than our president having a corked skull...:retard:

Back