BBQ 2007

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Ok...so I think we have Barrie, Montreal and possibly Darrien Lake...I'm down for all three. Seriously though, let's figure this out...even if it's just a couple of us we should get it figured out.

Altron: You'd be down for the drive up to Ont or Que yes?

Les and Paul: If it's not Barrie ya'll can ride with me (sans kids, I own a pursuit not a minivan, and I don't allow passengers in my trunk :D)

Prof: Are you up for a trip to Barrie or Darrien Lake or did last year's mishap and the lack of towing capacity cripple you in terms of distance from home you can travel?

Inky: You expressed some possibility of attending, is that still the case? Any one location that would be more appealing?

Anyone else willing to make the trek to any of the three listed places?

Come on folks, let's figure this out...I'm gonna need to book atleast one vacation day and I'm gonna need to do it SOON or else I'm gonna have too much work piled on me to pull it off (but if I know now I can limit the work I accept around whatever weekend the BBQ ends up being).

Inkara1

It's already too late to get anything going on a BBQ if it's in remotely the same time frame as last year. I need more than a couple weeks ot request time off... plus, things are tight at the paper right now, so I might not get it off as requested anyway... plus, things are tighter with the finances than they were at this point last year.

If it were in September or so, then maybe... but that starts my busy time and I have no hope in hell of getting a vacation.

In all honesty, I have two weeks of time this year and I think my vacation needs to be a real vacation. Last year, with the whole cancelled flight situation, then having to turn right around and drive seven hours in a non-air-conditioned car in 100-degree heat, then do it again coming home a couple days later, and come back to work the next day and immediately have to drive an hour that night each way to cover a game... well, I needed a vacation after my vacation. I think if I'm able to, say, use one week for a big trip or something, and have some days to just sleep and lounge around the house, then I'll actually have recharged batteries.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
It's already too late to get anything going on a BBQ if it's in remotely the same time frame as last year. I need more than a couple weeks ot request time off... plus, things are tight at the paper right now, so I might not get it off as requested anyway... plus, things are tighter with the finances than they were at this point last year.

If it were in September or so, then maybe... but that starts my busy time and I have no hope in hell of getting a vacation.

In all honesty, I have two weeks of time this year and I think my vacation needs to be a real vacation. Last year, with the whole cancelled flight situation, then having to turn right around and drive seven hours in a non-air-conditioned car in 100-degree heat, then do it again coming home a couple days later, and come back to work the next day and immediately have to drive an hour that night each way to cover a game... well, I needed a vacation after my vacation. I think if I'm able to, say, use one week for a big trip or something, and have some days to just sleep and lounge around the house, then I'll actually have recharged batteries.

1 - I never said it had to be anywhere around the same time as last year...infact, the later in the summer it is the better for me. I know labour day may not work so well for Prof and Les because of kids returning to school but there's nothing wrong with other weekends in August. The first BBQ was labour day.

2 - So, I'm gathering that you're a tentative "no" for right now so location decision shall not need to work around your schedule. Am I correct?

Inkara1

In a word, yes.

In 24 words, I'm thinking I'll take some days off at some point and take a trip somewhere with Lori... probably to somewhere with a Fry's Electronics. :D

Altron

Depends on the timing for me. After mid august = not good, because classes start for me.

It also depends on my car situation. Assuming it's a decent time for me, and I have a working reliable car that gets >20 mpg, I'm down. Right now, I don't though. Hopefully I will soon.

tonksy

I'm wanting to have a party/BBQ once the kitchen and downstairs painting is done...maybe Labor Day? Perhaps a bunch of us southeastern OTCers could get together....or anyone else who wants to make the trip.

BlurOfSerenity

as far as i'm concerned, the most-doable idea i've read is the new york one. i might also be able to swing georgia.

is maryland a possibility? there are a number of marylanders here, and it seems to be kind of a middle-point of a lot of people's locations, at lease those east of the mississippi

tonksy

Maryland is foreseeable for us...as long as there's crab. I miss me some Maryland blue crab...is it too late in the season?

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Depending on my health and our fiscal fitness, given that I am without pay until I return to work, a Georgia weekend or a Maryland weekend might be doable. Maryland would allow up to hop over to Harper's Ferry, and of course Georgia affords the excuse to get to Stone Mountain, so either way we'd have a side trip along with the carcass roasting.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I have been thinking about the Darrien Lake thing...and while I LOVE the park it is kinda far away from anything else...like middle of nowhere 30min to the mall far away...I dunno how good of a vacation that would be for everyone...maybe there's something else in the NY area that would be better...

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Maryland is 9 hours from here..if it's later in the summer/early fall I would likely beable to do that if I could find someone to travel with, that far in a car alone wouldn't be too fun.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
like middle of nowhere 30min to the mall far away.

Kee-rist child, we LIVE farther from a mall than that. It's 20 minutes to a McD's from the house for the love of candle wax. Paradise I tell ya. It ain't all about convenience, especially on a vacation. Least not for me. Gimme peace and quiet over Hot Topic any day.

*hums theme to Green Acres*

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Kee-rist child, we LIVE farther from a mall than that. It's 20 minutes to a McD's from the house for the love of candle wax. Paradise I tell ya. It ain't all about convenience, especially on a vacation. Least not for me. Gimme peace and quiet over Hot Topic any day.

*hums theme to Green Acres*

Oh, that's not what I was getting at...I love being in the middle of nowhere. When I went to Darrien Lake we camped and it was great, we cooked our food for the weekend over an open fire, spent the day in the amusement park and spent our evenings staring at the fire (even though it drizzled the whole weekend). I'm just thinking of the fact that some people (like Prof) have children and aren't up for cooking over a fire for several days and if they were to stay in the hotel it would be very expensive to feed a family on hotel food for multiple days. I dunno how others feel about "roughing it" (more so the camping than hotel but still). My perfect BBQ would be pitching a tent somewhere with some water, sitting and looking at the water all day and chatting it up with others and then looking at the fire and chatting it up all night...but many people likely desire more "structure" or "modern conveniences" than that...I don't even need a shower if the lake water is decently unmuddy.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
My ideal weekend:

camping.jpg

*sigh* I wanna go camping...

chcr

Too cute for words
I'm wanting to have a party/BBQ once the kitchen and downstairs painting is done...maybe Labor Day? Perhaps a bunch of us southeastern OTCers could get together....or anyone else who wants to make the trip.

I think I'm going to Western Maryland and New Jersey around then but maybe not. Keep me posted please.