BBQ 2007

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
If you DRIVE you don't need a passport :p

I haven't paid enough attention but I think US Customs/INS, as of very recently, is requiring passports for nationals that previously didn't need them. Whenther that includes Canuckistan, I'm not sure.

Professur

Nixy, don't fall into that. There's nothing that says it has to be held at one of our houses. At Stone Mountain, there were massive picnik sites that could be reserved for groups. Most public places have spots like that. It could be a park, or a beach, or anywhere.

Gonz, entering Canada by air (or leaving) requires a passport. To date, you can still cross by car with nothing more than your license as ID. And the Canuck Gov't is pushing hard to keep that as is, by pushing the provinces to get more secure, more informative licenses, or even smart chip licenses.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Nixy, don't fall into that. There's nothing that says it has to be held at one of our houses. At Stone Mountain, there were massive picnik sites that could be reserved for groups. Most public places have spots like that. It could be a park, or a beach, or anywhere.

Gonz, entering Canada by air (or leaving) requires a passport. To date, you can still cross by car with nothing more than your license as ID. And the Canuck Gov't is pushing hard to keep that as is, by pushing the provinces to get more secure, more informative licenses, or even smart chip licenses.

1 - If we're doing it at a park or something and not at someone's house I vote Darien Lake, New York - LInky: http://www.godarienlake.com/

2 - They can require proof of citizenship at anytime when you're trying to cross the border. While a passport is not yet required for driving between Canada and the States it's just careless to cross the border with only a licence as ID...just because they don't request proof of citizenship on your way out doesn't mean they won't ask for it on the way back...then you'd be SOL. Licence + Birth Certificate is the only way to be sure you're gonna get out and get back in (if you don't have a passport).

Altron

I might be able to make it, with my newly acquired love for long distance driving. I'm old enough to be able to sit still and drive without getting nervous, and I'm young enough to have the stamina. I'm pretty confident that I could do 10 hours with minimal stops.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I might be able to make it, with my newly acquired love for long distance driving. I'm old enough to be able to sit still and drive without getting nervous, and I'm young enough to have the stamina. I'm pretty confident that I could do 10 hours with minimal stops.

Where will 10 hours get you?? If it's in New York it should be a lot less than 10 hours no? Hell, even Ontario should be less than 10 hours...I can be to Darien Lake, New York in less than 3 hours I believe...and if I am to believe TV then New Jersey and NY are mighty close.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
There's changes a'happening

Under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)

The proposed implementation timeline has two phases:

Beginning January 23, 2007, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling by air between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda will be required to present a valid passport, Air NEXUS card, or U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Document, or an Alien Registration Card, Form I-551, if applicable.

As early as January 1, 2008, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda by land or sea (including ferries), may be required to present a valid passport or other documents as determined by the Department of Homeland Security. While recent legislative changes permit a later deadline, the Departments of State and Homeland Security are working to meet all requirements as soon as possible. Ample advance notice will be provided to enable the public to obtain passports or passport cards for land/sea entries.

The passport requirement does NOT apply to U.S. citizens traveling to or returning directly from a U.S. territory. U.S. citizens returning directly from a U.S. territory are not considered to have left the United States and do not need to present a passport. U.S. territories include the following: Guam, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Swains Island, and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands.

State Dept

chcr

Too cute for words

I generally drive sixteen hours at a stretch (excluding gas/pee stops). Stamina isn't required, IMO. Now motorcycles OTOH...

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Gonz: I don't really know if that warranted being posted twice but yeah, that's what I was talking about, I just thought it was 2009, not 2008.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
No I couldn't...I only have that power in The Lobby...I could remove it if you gave me more power :D

Altron

I just know that my mom won't really do anything more than about 2 hours without a lengthy stop.

I don't know how long it takes to get to Ontario.

Nixy: I'm about ninety minutes from the NJ/NY border, but to go far upstate takes a lot of time. Syracuse area is at least four hours past the border, and Buffalo is even farther. 10 hours will certainly take me past the Great Lakes, though.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I just know that my mom won't really do anything more than about 2 hours without a lengthy stop.

I don't know how long it takes to get to Ontario.

Nixy: I'm about ninety minutes from the NJ/NY border, but to go far upstate takes a lot of time. Syracuse area is at least four hours past the border, and Buffalo is even farther. 10 hours will certainly take me past the Great Lakes, though.

Wow...two hours is nothing...my mom's driven 19 hours with no more than gas stops and one 30min nap. Anything under 6 hours or so is a short haul in my head, if a friend of mine wasn't too tired after work yesterday I was going to drive over 2 hours just to meet him for dinner and then drive over two hours home...driving is relaxing...if the BBQ is is Montreal or Darien Lake I'll do the trip with one gas stop and nothing else (if Les and Paul wanna come with me they can as long as they don't require more frequent stops :D)

Well, if it's in Ontario I hope it's not too far past the great lakes, if I'm driving that far away I wanna cross SOME sort of border, even if it's only a provincial border...

Inkara1

And yet, everyone's like "OMG That hour and 15 minutes to go see Lori is SO FAR!!!!!" while you talk about two hours like it's nothing.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
And yet, everyone's like "OMG That hour and 15 minutes to go see Lori is SO FAR!!!!!" while you talk about two hours like it's nothing.

I do not remember ever typing those words.

It does however come back to the whole frequency thing like Gonz said...plus, when I think about it it's not so much the driving when you do see her it's the distance that's between you that prevents spontaneous meetings or being able to get together on a whim...long distance is the pits IMHO.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Two hours, on ocassion, is nothing. Over an hour, daily, is a grind.

Driving to go to work is always worse than driving for pleasure...you HAVE to do it, and it HAS to be in a certain time frame and you HAVE to make it to your destination by a certain time...too many constraints for it to be enjoyable.