BBQ - Sept 5th at Paul and Natalia's

Search
Canada for Visitors
How to get through Canadian Customs by car
Every year 30 million people drive across the border from the USA into Canada. Here is how to make the crossing fast and simple.

Difficulty Level: easy Time Required: 5 minutes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's How:
Leave all weapons at home. This includes guns, knives, swtichblades, pepper spray, nun-chukas and mace. All are illegal in Canada unless you have copious amounts of paperwork.
As you approach the customs compound shut down as much noise as possible; turn off the radio, CD player, remove headphones, turn off the cell phone, ask the kids to stop fighting for five minutes
Unless they are prescription, remove your sunglasses. If they are prescription and you have a clear pair handy, change them for the few minutes it will take you to clear customs
Have proof of citizenship and residency available. If you are a citizen of the USA or Mexico, they may not even ask for the papers. Any other citizenship, have your documents ready for inspection.
Answer all of the questions politely and without asking for justification for the question.
If requested to move to one side for an inspection, don't take it personally, you may just be the 5th blue vehicle and are being inspected at random
Do not make any jokes or sarcastic remarks about Canada, guns, drugs, French accents, tobacco or alcohol. Sarcasm is lost on Customs officials; they take EVERYTHING seriously.
Obey all speed limits and restrictions while in the border compound.

Tips:
1.Customs officials have a difficult job to do. Don't make it any harder for them, or they an make it VERY difficult for you.
2.Customs officials have the power to impound your vehicle on suspicion alone. They can also take the car apart searching for suspected contraband. If they do not find anything, they may or may not apologize

Currency, Postage and Taxes
Canadian money is in dollars and cents, similar to the USA, but that is where the similarity ends. For a start, you will pick up between 25% - 40% additional Canadian in exchange for your American currency, depending on the exchange rate of the day. Best exchange rates will usually be at one of the chartered banks.

Our coins are the copper coloured 1 cent (penny), silver colored 5 cents (nickel), 10 cents (dime), and 25 cents (quarter), brass coloured $1.00 (loonie), and the $2.00 (toonie) which is made of two different coloured metals and quite unique. There is a fifty cent coin but there is almost no demand for it and you will rarely see one unless you ask for it. Canada has paper money where each bill is a different colour. We have the $5, $10, $20, $50 and $100 bills in common usage.

Canadian postage must be used on all mail posted in Canada. To mail a letter or postcard within Canada, it will cost you 48 cents, plus 7% tax. To mail the same item to the USA, it will cost you 65 cents plus 7% tax, anywhere else in the world, it will cost $1.25 plus 7% tax.

A quick word about taxes
You will find 7% GST (Goods and Services Tax) on just about everything in Canada. Assume it is there and will be added to the price at the cash register. If the tax has been included in the price, or is one of the rare occasions where it is not charged, rejoice (we do).

Provincial Taxes
All provinces with the noteable exception of Alberta charge at least one level of provincial tax on most things you want to buy. British Columbia has a provincial sales tax of 7.5% on most products, which is added at the cash register, so now you are prepared for 14.5% in taxes on most things here. Hotels and motels do not charge the sales tax for their rooms, instead, they charge a room tax of 8%, and in some locations, an additional 2% tourism tax. This is in addition to the 7% GST. When you make your reservations PLEASE ask how much tax will be added. This way you won't get a shock at the end of your stay.

Costs
American tourists will often complain about the cost of products in Canada, even excluding the taxes. Paying $6.50 for 20 cigarettes or $17.00 for one dozen bottles of beer in BC is considered to be the norm or or even low prices.

Be aware that in addition to the exchange rate our pricing is based on generally higher wages (minimum wage in British Columbia is currently $8.00), and hidden taxes which provide Canadians with universal health care at a very low monthly cost, and a social services net which, among other things, lowers our costs of post secondary education to an affordable rate. While tourists do not see these benefits, the average Canadian citizen reaps the benefits.

Driving in Canada
Just two things to watch for:

Gasoline prices are advertized in LITERS. You will still spend $20.00 or more to fill up the tank.
Speed limits and distances are in KILOMETERS - Please do not try to go 50 MILES per hour through downtown Castlegar. The RCMP have no sense of humour when it involves speeding.
Speed conversions:
30km/h = 20MPH (School Zone Speed)
50km/h = 30MPH (Urban Speed Limit)
80km/h = 50MPH (Most Highways)
110km/h = 70MPH (Top Speed on Special Highways)

unclehobart said:
Search
Canada for Visitors
How to get through Canadian Customs by car
Every year 30 million people drive across the border from the USA into Canada. Here is how to make the crossing fast and simple.

Difficulty Level: easy Time Required: 5 minutes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's How:
Leave all weapons at home. This includes guns, knives, swtichblades, pepper spray, nun-chukas and mace. All are illegal in Canada unless you have copious amounts of paperwork.
As you approach the customs compound shut down as much noise as possible; turn off the radio, CD player, remove headphones, turn off the cell phone, ask the kids to stop fighting for five minutes
Unless they are prescription, remove your sunglasses. If they are prescription and you have a clear pair handy, change them for the few minutes it will take you to clear customs
Have proof of citizenship and residency available. If you are a citizen of the USA or Mexico, they may not even ask for the papers. Any other citizenship, have your documents ready for inspection.
Answer all of the questions politely and without asking for justification for the question.
If requested to move to one side for an inspection, don't take it personally, you may just be the 5th blue vehicle and are being inspected at random
Do not make any jokes or sarcastic remarks about Canada, guns, drugs, French accents, tobacco or alcohol. Sarcasm is lost on Customs officials; they take EVERYTHING seriously.
Obey all speed limits and restrictions while in the border compound.

Tips:
1.Customs officials have a difficult job to do. Don't make it any harder for them, or they an make it VERY difficult for you.
2.Customs officials have the power to impound your vehicle on suspicion alone. They can also take the car apart searching for suspected contraband. If they do not find anything, they may or may not apologize

:lol2: talk about some craziness. so joke around with the idiot, tell him he's a moron if he asks a stupid question and all should go well. Just joking of course. I want you guys to get here in one piece.

I was the 'random search' last time. 2 1/2 hours.... ka-ching. That drug sniffing beagle knew me better than a top dollar hooker by the time it was all over.

unclehobart said:
I was the 'random search' last time. 2 1/2 hours.... ka-ching. That drug sniffing beagle knew me better than a top dollar hooker by the time it was all over.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you this time. Hopefully you won't have any trouble.

Its not as random as you would think. There is an apparent points system wherin you can automatically make yourself the 'random' one picked.

I pull up... Long hair, unshaven, bleary eyed from an all night drive, and alone. I hand the customs official a passport that is of a style that has been in use all of a month. They wern't used to it. He raises an eyebrow in that it is rather crisp and pristine and shows no other travel. I can feel my info zipping through computers left and right to determine how long I have been an international fugitive.

Q: Have you ever been to Canada before?
A: No sir.
*Customs official reaches over to the papers from the RED stack.
Q: Do you have any alcohol or weapons?
A: No sir... actually... I have a little blade on my keychain. Is this OK?
A: Yes, thats fine. We only are thinking about large knives and such.
*Official makes notation on paper.
Q: Have you ever met the party you are meeting?
A: No sir... not face to face.
* Official makes large red marks on the paper.
Q: How long are you planning on staying?
A: Eight days
* Official pulls out another red paper and writes down tons of stuff.
Pull over into that yellow square there sir and bring all of your documents inside.

...sigh

I go in. I am the only one in line, but since it was a shift change it took 20 minutes for someone to come to the kiosk to talk to me. The drug dog is already eyeballing me.

etc...

hey nat, maybe he liked it?

ok things to rememeber in canada.

no one carries a gun, but we ALL played hockey, so be polite, we can kick your asses

our beer is like 8 times more powerful than your beer

if you see a beaver do not say "hey look, a beaver" and then laugh like beavis and butthead

do not try to shave the beavers

a place selling beaver tails is selling a fried pastry with a sweet topping of your choice, it is NOT a brothel

Smoking weed is illegal, but not criminal, you would get the same fine for j-walking.

The proper way of greeting someone is saying "welcome" then flashing them your naughty bits (ok that is in paulyland not canada)

our smokes cost a LOT more and sorta suck to americans smokers, so if you smoke load up before you cross the border

Your beer is no longer 8 times as powerful. We've been drinking all of this 9-12% stuff lately. Its as strong as wine... but tasty tasty. A mere 12 pack will put a hurt on you.

unclehobart said:
Your beer is no longer 8 times as powerful. We've been drinking all of this 9-12% stuff lately. Its as strong as wine... but tasty tasty. A mere 12 pack will put a hurt on you.
hence my condition last night. :drink: i only had 4...i think.

paul? you're right about the smokes. when i was is scotia nova ( :p ) i remembered longing for a camel light...but i've long since quit smoking cigarrettes.

unclehobart said:

you never heard of our 96% beer it's brewed in a cyclotron...a tiny bit of space time gets twisted...

*goes off to track downt he words of 307 ale*

[slightly off topic] The other night at a Robert Keen concert, I would have kicked someone in the ding ding just for a Camel "Fat Boy" cigarette [/slightly off topic]

This was, no lie, inspired by a Michigan automobile license plate, 307 ALE. If you have this plate, in any state, send me a photograph of it, and I'll send you a free CD. For the most entertaining explanation of tesseracts you'll ever find, see "-- And He Built A Crooked House --" by Robert A. Heinlein (collected in The Unpleasant Profession Of Jonathan Hoag). This song was judged co-winner of the 1989 OVFF Songwriting Contest, along with Michael "Moonwulf" Longcor's "I Can't Party (As Hearty As I Partied When I Was Twenty-One)".
There's many drinks you'll drink, me lads, on every world that's new.
There's Saurian Brandy, Cranapple Schnapps, and a good old Tullamore Don't.
There's Busch and Beck and Bud and Bock and others dark and pale,
But I think you'll find the finest kind is Three-Oh-Seven Ale.

(chorus)
Three-Oh-Seven Ale, me lads, Three-Oh-Seven Ale,
The finest drink that any bar has ever had for sale,
It'll lay your whole damn world to waste, it'll make you fit and hale,
There's nothing that you'll ever taste like Three-Oh-Seven Ale, me lads,
Three-Oh-Seven Ale.

It started out at M.I.T. one lazy summer day,
When a couple of the frat-boy techies started in to play,
They'd caught up on their schedule with a couple hours to kill,
So they fitted up the cyclotron and made themselves a still.

(chorus)

They added choice ingredients to brew a little brew,
But they didn't know the wires were crossed in Chamber Number Two.
A tiny bit of space got folded, things were looking queer --
They turned the spout and then came out the world's first Hyper-Beer.

(chorus)

It bubbled and it burbled and it glowed a fizzly green,
And what it did to test equipment, frankly, was obscene.
It took awhile to find a vial it wouldn't burst to flame,
Then they measured out its potency, and that's how it was named.

(slower)
There's many drinks you'll drink, me lads, but this one beats them all:
One hundred fifty-three and one-half percent alcohol,
A beer, brewed in a tesseract, that'll shoot you through the roof --
And if you don't believe me, I've got lots and lots of proof.

(final chorus)
Three-Oh-Seven Ale, me lads, Three-Oh-Seven Ale,
The finest drink that any bar has ever had for sale,
It'll lay your whole damn world to waste, it'll make you fit and hale,
It sticks to your mouth like library paste,
With a stronger kick than toxic waste,
There's nothing that you'll ever taste
Like Three-Oh-Seven Ale!

anything you need us to bring? we are going down our checklists and making sure everything is either, packed, cleaned, or arranged to be fed and watered.

tonksy said:
anything you need us to bring? we are going down our checklists and making sure everything is either, packed, cleaned, or arranged to be fed and watered.

Just yourselves please. we don't want anything else. Unless paul wants a pack of american smokes, but otherwise, NOTHING!!!!

Uki Chick said:
Just yourselves please. we don't want anything else. Unless paul wants a pack of american smokes, but otherwise, NOTHING!!!!
not even a flat of ramen noodles and some spaghettio's with meatballs?

Back