Beating protected by first amendment?

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Church exorcism protected by First Amendment
A woman who claims she was injured during an exorcism performed by a Texas church group is reportedly planning to take her case to the US Supreme Court after state judges ruled the actions of the church were protected by the First Amendment.

link

Freedom of religion does not give you card blanche.

If it was an Islamic thing, the entire country would be up in arms, but because it is a christian church, it's all ok.

2minkey

bootlicker
i can easily imagine the oppressed majority christians trumpeting the flip side of that sentiment. "if'n it was christians, they'd get out them ACLU fellas to shoot it down... nah if it was islams, they'd make the kids take a di-versity tolerance class in it..."

Professur

link

Freedom of religion does not give you card blanche.

If it was an Islamic thing, the entire country would be up in arms, but because it is a christian church, it's all ok.

So how's your foreskin doing?

One thing that article rather casually skirts .... was she a member of that church? Given that court ruling ... I'd wager yes. That would put a whole different shine on that apple, wouldn't it?

MrBishop

The incident happened after fellow members of the church group became convinced she was possessed by demons. She was 17 at the time.
And while this might mean "certain harms may go unaddressed", he said, "the larger protection of the church and religious freedom is the overriding concern."

*Great! All the Pope has to do is to say that buggering choir-boys is OK and all that buggering-priest issue can go away.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't exorcisms no longer allowed by the papacy?

Frodo

I just caught the part about damages. That means this was a civil law suit brought by a citizen and not a criminal case brought by the state. The constitution does not protect freedom to violate another's rights. This judge should be disbarred for being an embarrassment to our judicial system. He acts like the state was persecuting the church when it was not.

majestyx

One thing that article rather casually skirts .... was she a member of that church? Given that court ruling ... I'd wager yes. That would put a whole different shine on that apple, wouldn't it?

Yes, Prof, she was a member of the church at. What bothers me about the whole thing is that the parents weren't contacted to give their permission for this to happen. Both of her parents were out of town when this happened.

Cerise

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
It could've been worse.

At least it wasn't an "honor killing". :shrug:

Of course the muslims always have to be worse.

I am fairly sure if it was a honour killing no texas judge would call it protected by the first amendment

though if this beating was, so should it be.

otherwise it's bigotry.

Professur

Yes, Prof, she was a member of the church at. What bothers me about the whole thing is that the parents weren't contacted to give their permission for this to happen. Both of her parents were out of town when this happened.

Maj, long time.

I figured as much. I'll wager there's a lot more to this story that didn't make print besides that little gem. Stuff like ... what that behavior was, and was she ever a participant in similar rituals targeting others. People here need to remember, the media has an agenda ... and they're well versed in making you think what they want you to, and very skilled at triggering that knee jerk.

I also like the spin on her being 17. In a world where a 12 year old can sue his own parents for divorce, a 17 year old still gets a wet nurse.

Just a word for everyone condemning this. You do realize that every damn sunday, children as young as twelve are 'presumed' to eat human flesh and drink human blood in churches all over. Of course, if you're not a believer, you can still be outraged they ... they're drinking alcohol ... 12 years old. I won't even begin to discuss the various outrages performed by Masonic and Koc ... in secret no less.

But I do have to ask one thing ... if her parents had been there, do you think they'd have stood against the priest, or joined in? Not withstanding the fact that, had her parents been anywhere near, the presumed behavior that triggered the whole event probably would never have happened to begin with.