Beauty in the eye of the beholder?

SexyBoo

"You know how someone's appearance can change the moment you know them? How a really attractive person, if you don't like them, can become more and more ugly; whereas someone you might not have even have noticed... that you wouldn't look at more than once, if you love them, can become the most beautiful thing you've ever seen? All you want to do is be near them." (The Truth About Cats & Dogs)

I was curious to see if anyone else had experienced this. Any thoughts? Do I spend entirely too much time pondering abstract ideas such as perception of beauty? :grinyes:

all the time. to me, at least, a persons personality is more important than their looks. i've known plenty of people who i considered to be attractive but the second they opened their mouth they ruined it. i remember one in particlular.....if i only had a roll of duct tape to cover his mouth...

I'm a firm believer in personality over looks. Granted appearance and physical features are often first noticed in most situations, but personality is what defines a person and often depicts how they portray themselves. This, in my opinion, influences their outer appearance.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

That's just something ugly people say.

I'M JUST KIDDING!!! :D

There is no such thing as absolute beauty. Just look at what people thought was beautuiful 70-80-90 years ago. Women looked like schoolboys in the twenties and back in the west in the late 1800's heavyset women were thought to be the sexiest. So not only can it change for an individual person but it changes for society as a whole.

it does. in my case since i see myself as horribly ugly i try to make up for it with personality but yes ive seen people as ugly when they dont have a good personality

i think the majority of people find themselves unattractive. its the ones that think they are hot that ruin it for themselves. i can't stand an ego. ooh, heres a quote about that though, ahem "egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity"... frank leahy. ok i'll get off my soapbox now...

Never happened to me, if a girl is beautiful i'd still consider her to be beautiful even if she's a bitch, and if she's ugly i'd still see her ugly even if she has a great personality.

Luis G said:
Never happened to me, if a girl is beautiful i'd still consider her to be beautiful even if she's a bitch, and if she's ugly i'd still see her ugly even if she has a great personality.

Ok there shallow Hal... :D

Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder

Thank goodness it is...........I'd have become a monk years ago if it wasn't the case :D

Well, I'm not wearing the bag to save Bradd Pitts modesty ya know ;)

HeXp£Øi± said:
Ok there shallow Hal... :D

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the inner beauty (more than physical), but to me the inner beauty and physical beauty are disjoint.

Luis G said:
Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the inner beauty (more than physical), but to me the inner beauty and physical beauty are disjoint.

how? i mean in person, in pictures its easy, but in the flesh, how can you ignore an ugly personality? doesn't it ruin it for you?

SexyBoo said:
"You know how someone's appearance can change the moment you know them? How a really attractive person, if you don't like them, can become more and more ugly; whereas someone you might not have even have noticed... that you wouldn't look at more than once, if you love them, can become the most beautiful thing you've ever seen? All you want to do is be near them." (The Truth About Cats & Dogs)

So what else is new?

Any normal person has realized this phenomenon.

Luis G said:

More along the lines of my thought ehhh.

tonks said:
how can you ignore an ugly personality? doesn't it ruin it for you?

You are misunderstanding, I never said i'd tolerate an ugly personality because of physical beautiness.

I believe your stuck with your appearance, whether you're ugly or beautiful. No amount of a personailty can make an ugly person beautiful. Everybody has their own idea of beauty. That's an idea for another topic...

CydCharisse said:
I believe your stuck with your appearance, whether you're ugly or beautiful. No amount of a personailty can make an ugly person beautiful. Everybody has their own idea of beauty. That's an idea for another topic...

Oh tsk-tsk-tsk....there is plastic surgery oh ye of little faith.

tonks said:
how? i mean in person, in pictures its easy, but in the flesh, how can you ignore an ugly personality? doesn't it ruin it for you?
as long as she doesn't say anything it's all good. :shrug: :blow:

hehe, j/k

Back