Before the "It's so cold" threads start

gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!

it's so cold the buses are cancelled. it's -29 (-20F) out there right now without the wind factored in.

:errrr:

Leslie said:
gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!

it's so cold the buses are cancelled. it's -29 (-20F) out there right now without the wind factored in.

:errrr:
Is it still up to you to get the little buggers to school when the buses chicken out like that?

*marks this day in calendar when he first heard that Canada actually admitted to not being invincible to cold*

Heck... it even ended up -10c all the way down here in Atlanta.

Its below freezing all the way into Florida.

unclehobart said:
Is it still up to you to get the little buggers to school when the buses chicken out like that?

*marks this day in calendar when he first heard that Canada actually admitted to not being invincible to cold*

Heck... it even ended up -10c all the way down here in Atlanta.

Its below freezing all the way into Florida.

OMG! Tonks is gonna freeze her butt off!!! Make sure that girl wears some long underwears!!!

And, if the buses are canelled, atleast when I was little, we usually just stayed home as the teachers wouldn't do a whole lot of work on those days anyway...half of them probably couldn't even get to work themselves!

Is it a matter of the roads being unclearable, the buses not being able to fire up in such low temps, or that they can't be warmed up enough for the passengers so the ministry of health says 'no way... we wont endanger.' ?

basically, today, it's just too freaking cold to make the kids wait for the bus.

it's -33 now. Getting colder.

unclehobart said:
Is it a matter of the roads being unclearable, the buses not being able to fire up in such low temps, or that they can't be warmed up enough for the passengers so the ministry of health says 'no way... we wont endanger.' ?

Well, at -29C I would assume that there is no snow falling...it's to cold for snow (yeah, that's possible) so I'm gonna assume it's that the buses can't get going since if they didn't want people outside at all they'd cancel the schools entirely.

It got so cold here last night, the statue of the Civil War soldier in front of the court house dropped his rifle and put his hands in his pockets.

-36F here today...with "Dangerous windchills". It's urban-terrorist time - everyone wearing their cagoules (Balaclavas).

SouthernN'Proud said:
It got so cold here last night, the statue of the Civil War soldier in front of the court house dropped his rifle and put his hands in his pockets.

What? No military bearing? Tsk, tsk. Maybe they should've given him gloves...:D

unclehobart said:

It's usually that the wait time outside is too long and becomes dangerous. Most buses have an inline heater in the coolant lines to get the engine up to firing temps. But then you have to deal with road freeze. When the temp drops enough, any moisture in the air freezes instantly to any surface. That's the famous black ice you've all heard of. It's too cold for salt to have any effect other than as grit. Tire rubber stiffens beyond it's grip ability. Oil in the shocks freezes to a treacle-like consistance, making traction even worse. It's not so much the people can't take it. It's that driving becomes too dangerous, without specialized gear.

You guys really should come out to California to visit me. The weather has been absolutely wonderful the last few days.

-27 :errrr:

the kids are begging me to send them to school in a cab cause it's soooooooooo cold outside mommy!

Back