Beginning of a pandemic?

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
MrBishop said:
SARS is not just in the Far East...it's in Canada now.

* knows logically he's fine, but is desperately trying to not freak out cause Avery has a fever and a dry cough :eek5:

MrBishop

Sorry Leslie...hope I'm not causing you any panic...got a kid myself and don't like hearing about SARS any more than you do.

MrBishop

5% death count
if it beacomes a true pandemic (available in all countries near you).

6,32billion people on earth

potentially: 316 million deaths.

That is FUCKING SCARY!!!

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I was planing on letting this go before I get accused of spreading panic, but since you've brought it back up...

Sat Mar 29, 4:59 PM ET

TORONTO - Health officials closed a second Toronto-area hospital to new patients and said Saturday the number of probable or suspected cases of a flu-like mystery illness from Asia continued to increase.

Yahoo

HONG KONG (Reuters) - More than 100 people in one Hong Kong apartment block were suspected to have been infected by a deadly pneumonia virus, officials said on Monday, triggering fears that the killer disease was being spread through air or water.

At least two more people died from the Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) in Hong Kong during the day, taking the death toll in the city to 15 and to 61 worldwide.

A total of 213 people living in the Amoy Gardens housing estate were confirmed or suspected to be infected with Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS), of whom 107 are from Block E of the complex, Health Secretary Yeoh Eng-kiong told a news conference.

Yahoo

WashingtonPost said:
Reuters
Monday, March 31, 2003; 9:46 AM

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The Wall Street Journal called in an editorial on Monday for flights from China to be suspended to try to halt the spread of a deadly pneumonia that has killed more than 60 people in 15 countries.

The Journal said China has been negligent in not giving the World Health Organization full access to the information it needs to try to contain the disease, which appears to be highly contagious and may be spread through water droplets or air.

The most effective way to halt the spread of the disease would be for other countries to suspend all travel links with China until it has implemented a transparent public health campaign, the Journal said. The ban would have to include Hong Kong, which appears to be a major transit route for the disease, it said.

On Monday more than 100 people in one Hong Kong housing estate were suspected of having the disease. Authorities have quarantined more than 200 other residents in the block

Even the Stones pulled out of China.

octal

My crazy brother tells me that this is the sign of the plague in Revelations. He also says that the war in Iraq is another sign. I got him drunk and he shut up.

MrBishop

Update on cases and countries
As of today, a cumulative total of 1622 cases, with 58 deaths, have been reported from 13 countries. This represents an increase of 72 cases and 4 deaths since the last figures were compiled on Saturday.

The greatest increase in cases occurred in Hong Kong SAR. The additional deaths were reported in Canada (1) and Hong Kong (3). Germany reported its fifth case, and Switzerland its third.

WHO - World Health Organization

madrin

I think the death rate on this, when it's all said and done, will be about the same as any other "flu" . Seems like they got a handle on it fast because it becomes so markedly severe in short order...

what kills , in terms of flu, is lack of medical intervention and support in the pneumonia phase usually....

...the influenza pandemic of '18-'20 was exacerbated by the lack of what we now think of as routine medical diagnosis/care...

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
AWWWWW, SHIT!! Now they've gone & pissed off the French...
The French authorities are advising against travel to Hong Kong or mainland China because of the outbreak of a deadly new virus.

ABC

MrBishop

Local news stated recently that a family in Brossard, Quebec (South of Montreal Somewhere **See my location**) is being kept in house quarantine because of the possibility of SARS.

Fucking scary!:eek:

Aunty Em

If it comes here, I'm taking Katie out of school and stocking up the freezer and cupboards till it's over. If we have no contact with the outside world she can't get it - with her heart and lung problems she would probably be one of the 5%. :(

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
There is a jet, Tokyo to San Jose, CA on the tarmac. 4 aboard have symtoms & they're not allowing disembarkment. I haven't seen the story-heard about it on the radio.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Got this from the school today :eh:

Dear Students, Parents and Guardians

RE: SARS - Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome

The attached fact sheet from the Simcoe County District Health Unit provides information about SARS. We continue to remain in daily contact with the Simcoe County District Health Unit to receive information updates. The health risks of this illness are associated with direct exposure to someone who has symptoms and has been linked to recent travel to Asia or close contact with a known case. Our focus in the schools is on emphasizing preventative hygiene practices, particularly hand washing, for all students and staff.

It is important to note that the SCDHU assures us that schools can continue to operate without undue risk of spreading this illness. They have further advised that there is no medical reason to exclude children from attending school, solely on the basis of their having travelled to destinations in Asia.

We have been advised that some families in our area are under voluntary quarantine as a preventative measure to contain the spread of this disease. This measure is taken with well individuals as a way of monitoring their health. The identity of these students is private information that may not be released. Health officials are responsible for all notifications to families and others that may be at risk from contact with infected persons.

Pending any specific advice from health authorities, all of our schools will remain open

Despite advice that has been provided by health authorities, some parents have decided to withdraw their children from school as a precaution. While the board does not support removing students from the classroom under these circumstances, it understands and respects parents' right to do so.....

and so on, blah blah blah...

* trying to remain calm and take this at face value, but keeps reading between the lines and thinking of the Stand :eek5:

Avery seems to be getting better...what he had seems to have been a cold...so far :eh:

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
SAN JOSE, Calif., April 1 (UPI) -- Fears that the fast-moving respiratory ailment known as severe acute respiratory syndrome, or SARS, had broken out aboard an American Airlines flight from Tokyo were found to have been a false alarm Tuesday, but not before the aircraft and its passengers were detained for more than two hours in a safe corner of the San Jose airport.

Health workers in protective suits removed three people from Flight 128, which was kept a healthy distance from the terminal after five passengers and crew complained of symptoms similar to the mysterious disease.

Two of the passengers were found not to have SARS symptoms after being examined aboard the plane. The other three were checked out at a nearby hospital and cleared.

"They do not fit the criteria for SARS," said Dr. Karen Smith, assistant health officer for Santa Clara County. "Nobody on that plane had suspect SARS."

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
If I was a passenger on that plane, I'd seriously consider drubbing those 4 who had symptoms and didn't see a doctor before boarding the plane in Tokyo. Doesn't matter if they actually had it or not. :grumpy: :grumpy:

Aunty Em

You're talking about an illness that probably starts with cold or flu-like symptoms.... got any idea how many people are suffering from those at any one time?....

There is really no need for wide-spread panic at this point, just an awareness of the possibilities and the practice of good hygiene.

drkavnger99

See this is what happens when you over perscribe anitbiotics! Err... when will our doctors learn not to perscribe it for everything!