Biking

Just go to Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target or the Canadian equivalent & by a bike. It's not brain surgery. It'll get used for 3 weeks & put in the garage for 16 years :D

I might think about a Harley, but I can't afford the motorhome and trailer that seem to be standard equipment anymore. Besides, I like to ride!

britons and yanks, always arguing who makes the best bikes...

the answer, none of you, i'd rather buy a kawazaki, yamaha or some of the oriental stuff ;)

Japan makes the best crotch rockets (next to the Italian Ducatti) but for cruisers, it's (fill in non-Japanese company here)

i've seen some big travel bikes, made by bmw, comfortable, but more expensive than a car :shrug:

Japan makes the best crotch rockets (next to the Italian Ducatti) but for cruisers, it's (fill in non-Japanese company here)
If I wanted a cruiser, I'm afraid it'd be a Valkerie.

Suzukisaurus Rex is my '82 GS1100E. 1197 big bore kit, hotter ignition, upgraded suspension, hotter cams (modern 600s will still run away from it though)...

Gonz said:
Aunty Em said:
This is a bike....

Nice. I think this is a bike

No way! This is a picture of a very rare 1937 Royal Enfield 225cc just like the one my brother and I jointly owned - but ours was enfield green. Rare in that there are only 6 still registered in the world. :)

It was one of the first 4 stroke engines of that size and had a top speed of 51 mph. You can see the gearstick on the side of the tank and ours had black rubber kneepads as well. That flywheel was a real bastard to kick over! That head is also solid iron and it weighed a ton - pushing it was not advised! The lack of indicators, stoplight and speedo are all perfectly legal for riding on the road as it was a pre-'38 bike.

Wow! Finding this picture has absolutely made my day! :D

1937_225cc.jpg

Luis G said:
you still have that bike?

Sadly no - This was about 17 years ago - my brother was ill, unable to work and needed some money in a hurry so he decided to sell all his bikes including this one - except for his Ariel 350cc. He still needed to build a rubber cush and sprocket set for the rear wheel (couldn't get one any other way then - he's an aircraft engineer by trade, BOAC trained) and a few other things doing to it to get it on the road. I don't have the manual skills to do that so he offered me the GT550 in exchange. It seemed a good deal at the time - much as I wanted to be able to ride this one I knew it was unlikely... I couldn't kick it over and it really was very heavy, a mans bike. We didn't get a lot for it at the time - about £750, but I believe it's now in a private collection over there somewhere... :(

When we got it it cost about £50, had mice nests in the rotting tyres and was basically one large lump of rust. When we sold it it was in "concourse" condition. To the uninitiated that is better than original.

Nowadays of course, there are dealers and producers for just about every part you can imagine, but that wasn't so back then.

*sigh - distant look in eyes

Ivor's Ariel was like this one - but not quite as shiney since he rode it most days:

ariel_1952_nh_350cc.jpg

Back