Bill would give 0bama emergency control of Internet

The government was controlling the media even back on Bush v1.0's watch too, right?

Yep. Was it a violation of the commerce clause? Interstate commerce was affected...but liming the number of customers is questionable.

Yep. Was it a violation of the commerce clause? Interstate commerce was affected...but liming the number of customers is questionable.
My point exactly. SSDD.

Plus, without it, you'd prolly not have your @#%& FiOS. ;)

Here's a rational take...

All the President needs to do is declare a state of emergency and he’ll have the right to disconnect US citizens from the web, access their computers and even hack into the servers of private companies. That’s a horrendous power-grab for use in an unspecified emergency.

Or at least it would be. If that’s what the bill actually proposed.

In fact, in its current form, the worst the bill does is to clarify the President’s existing power to take limited control of communications networks in the case of national emergency or war. Like President Bush was able to order all planes to be grounded on September 11th, the bill would allow President Obama to ground parts of the Internet in similar circumstances.

But at this stage even those powers aren’t set in stone - the bill is still in draft form, having already been redrafted after early objections that the wording was too vague. And it’s still too vague, to the point where Larry Clinton, president of the Internet Security Alliance, says: “we cannot properly analyze, let alone support the bill.”

Indeed. What we really have here is a classic situation of an ambiguously-drafted bill, not even close to passing but which has the capacity to generate some pretty scary headlines. Last week it was death panels, this week it’s Obama stealing our Internets. Like a bear trapped in a skate park, critics - mainly of the President rather than the bill - are running round and round, without any kind of information ladder to help them out of their pit of paranoia.

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/08/2...behind-obamas-plan-to-take-over-the-internet/

But spike that doesn't sound sinister and/or evil enough to come from the white house, it must be all.....LIES, HEINOUS LIES!!!

As a side note, and someone whom this HORRENDOUS and GHASTLY bill would directly affect (at first glance I would need to get this so-called certification for my company's network and the networks of our clients which I also manage), I would love to see what these senators and representatives you apparently fear are thinking of for a process of "disconnecting" the internet. There isn't exactly a patch cable in a closet somewhere with a post-it note taped to it reading "do not unplug!"

Whayever do you mean?

I wasn't talkin about your !@$%( innernetz....Yer doggone picture-over-fiber TV, man! :p

You were doing well right up until that turd slipped out. Wake up Cerise. Bush was as dangerous a tyrant as Barry is ... just like their successor will be so long as you (insert personal attack of your choice here) insist that there's any difference between them. The only difference is the way they go about getting what they're after.

Thank you.

Note that I don't really see all that much difference in their methods either, just their rhetoric.

Denial of service attack would do it. :shrug:

Which is precisely what this bill is meant to help protect against...or do you think it's just a random occurance that many of the DNS attacks as of late are coming from China..ya know, the communist country where the computers are controlled by the GVT.

Still think that it's jrHaxors with names like Chan that are hacking FB for the fun of it?

Practice makes perfect, eh

smile-big-brother-is-watching-you-obama.jpg

Congratulations.

Those of you who swore the GW was the devil & that you had enough sense to not follow a fool are completely missing the point of this bill.

IT GIVES THE GOVERNMENT A WAY TO STOP FREE EXPRESSION & THE EXCHANGE OF IDEAS.

Obama may be a saint & wouldn't ever do anything evil. How about when our next President, Sarah Palin & her VP Dick Cheney are in power. Will you feel as safe then?

IT GIVES THE GOVERNMENT A WAY TO STOP FREE EXPRESSION & THE EXCHANGE OF IDEAS.

No.

"In fact, in its current form, the worst the bill does is to clarify the President’s existing power to take limited control of communications networks in the case of national emergency or war. Like President Bush was able to order all planes to be grounded on September 11th, the bill would allow President Obama to ground parts of the Internet in similar circumstances.

But at this stage even those powers aren’t set in stone - the bill is still in draft form, having already been redrafted after early objections that the wording was too vague. And it’s still too vague, to the point where Larry Clinton, president of the Internet Security Alliance, says: “we cannot properly analyze, let alone support the bill.”

Indeed. What we really have here is a classic situation of an ambiguously-drafted bill, not even close to passing but which has the capacity to generate some pretty scary headlines. Last week it was death panels, this week it’s Obama stealing our Internets. Like a bear trapped in a skate park, critics - mainly of the President rather than the bill - are running round and round, without any kind of information ladder to help them out of their pit of paranoia."

"In fact, in its current form, the worst the bill does is to clarify the President’s existing power to take limited control of communications networks in the case of national emergency or war. Like President Bush was able to order all planes to be grounded on September 11th, the bill would allow President Obama to ground parts of the Internet in similar circumstances.

Gee, I'm sorry. What was I thinking? A plane can bring down a building. The only thing a thought can bring down is a government.

You're thinking both too small and too large, GOnz. Think about what a cyber war would be like.... a precursor to a physical war, of course but...

Hmmm... bring down the Exchange, power-grids, phones, cel-phones, etc... knock out/down some of the things that you take for granted and cause minor panic in the general populace.

Knock out a few satellites and limit GVT/Military communication and 'in the sky' tracking of enemy forces etc..

Remember this is for "Times of War" - and they're talking when war comes to your shores..

Back